Sil and I went to an RV/camper show in Springfield, MA a couple of weeks ago and after hours of looking we narrowed the list of campers we want to consider down to 2. I thought the number would be much higher but these are the ones we liked that fit us.

If anyone has an opinion on the brands or the types of campers or thoughts on them in general please feel free to share.

The first camper is a 2013 Ultra-Lite Sunset Rush 23QB Toy Hauler

This is almost identical to the one we looked at but ours does not have the cabinet/bunk bed option above the queen. That is just a shelf. This is also not where we would be buying from just what I could find online

http://valleyrvsales.com/listing/2013-rush-toy-hauler-23fb/

This is the short info on it we got at the show.

CCF02252013_00000_zps17655fd8.jpg

We like the possibilities of hauling a golf cart or other things with ease. Were not sure how well the seals hold up around the ramp door. And it does not have a table so we would need to get something for that which is easy enough to do. Also the one we are looking at does not have outside access to storage under the bed.

The other TT we looked at was a 2013 Thor Trail Runner SLE19

Here is the manufacturers site with specs.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=travel&sc=TR&i=TR+SLE+19&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

Here is the short info and Pricing from where we are looking.

CCF02252013_00001_zps8b44b9df.jpg

We like that this one has a dinette, Plenty of storage under the front with access from inside and outside. We lose the toy hauler with this but We are not sure how much we need/want that option anyway.

Ironically both of these are at the same dealer and that dealer happens to be about 3 miles from our house.

I will keep looking for more pictures of the second trailer but let me know you thoughts

They both look like good options. Do any of these models come in a similar 2011 or 2012 model? My experiences with houses and RVs are the same... You try one out, figure out what you really want, and then sell the first one and buy again (and repeat perhaps). It's easy to do that if you buy a used trailer because you can sell with zero to little loss. We actually sold our TT for more than we bought it for a couple years later. Just a thought....

What's your tow vehicle?

It's hard for me to say much based on what was given. You are looking at two very different trailers. For me the small bathroom was a real negative for our first trailer. This is kind of strange to say but no leg room when on the pot sucked which was not something I thought of when we were shopping. I guess the point is you may not really know what you want until you try one out.

What's your tow vehicle?

It's hard for me to say much based on what was given. You are looking at two very different trailers. For me the small bathroom was a real negative for our first trailer. This is kind of strange to say but no leg room when on the pot sucked which was not something I thought of when we were shopping. I guess the point is you may not really know what you want until you try one out.

Dont have a tow vehicle yet. I waited till we narrowed things down. Now I can start looking for my TV since I know the weights I am looking at. I will buy for the bigger end with plenty to spare. We dont really plan to use the toilet except in emergency's, i.e bad rain storm or something of that nature. When we were first looking we were looking at PUPs and smaller campers that had no bathrooms. It's only me and SIlvia and maybe the dog sometimes.

I like the versatility of the Toy Hauler but I am not sure how well the seals on that ramp door hold up over time.

We have had both kinds of trailers and the toy hauler is way better for us. Great for bikes, kayak, ecv or scooter. Even if we quit hauling a golf cart we would still buy another toy hauler. I like the folding couches better then the dinette. There easy to get off of. Check and make sure you have enough room to stand up in the shower. Also you need to both lay down in the bed together and make sure you are comfortable. Around here toy haulers seem to have better resale value if there kept clean. My vote is for the toy hauler. Also during summer time camping when it's 90 plus degrees out when you get to a campsite the inside of your trailer is really hot. Compared to our old trailer the toy hauler cools off inside a lot quicker because when you open the ramp door you can let all the heat out of your camper. Make sure when you buy a truck to pull it that you are well past the weight ratings. You need the extra power to help with the wind drag. On fords towing guide it will tell you to measure the square footage of the front of your camper. That more then 60 square foot will decrease towing capability. That was for 1 ton diesels not sure about smaller trucks.

We have had both kinds of trailers and the toy hauler is way better for us. Great for bikes, kayak, ecv or scooter. Even if we quit hauling a golf cart we would still buy another toy hauler. I like the folding couches better then the dinette. There easy to get off of. Check and make sure you have enough room to stand up in the shower. Also you need to both lay down in the bed together and make sure you are comfortable. Around here toy haulers seem to have better resale value if there kept clean. My vote is for the toy hauler. Also during summer time camping when it's 90 plus degrees out when you get to a campsite the inside of your trailer is really hot. Compared to our old trailer the toy hauler cools off inside a lot quicker because when you open the ramp door you can let all the heat out of your camper. Make sure when you buy a truck to pull it that you are well past the weight ratings. You need the extra power to help with the wind drag. On fords towing guide it will tell you to measure the square footage of the front of your camper. That more then 60 square foot will decrease towing capability. That was for 1 ton diesels not sure about smaller trucks.

Also good to know. Thanks!

To me the toyhauler looks like a better floorplan. More bathroom space, and a corner shower instead of tub. I've showered in RV tubs...it kinda sucks. I know you said you won't use the bathroom, but you never know when you might decide a weekend at a state park would be nice and the bathhouse either sucks or is a mile away. I also like the idea of the garage for bringing the toys along whatever they may be. Does one have more kitchen cabinet space and/or outdoor storage?

another thing to consider you almost never see small trailers for sale used. you don't see a lot of toys haulers for sale used.

now is that because people love them and don't sell them or what I don't know but something to think about.

Well they make a lot less of them so that's probably the answer as to why you don't see them much.

Dont have a tow vehicle yet. I waited till we narrowed things down. Now I can start looking for my TV since I know the weights I am looking at. I will buy for the bigger end with plenty to spare. We dont really plan to use the toilet except in emergency's, i.e bad rain storm or something of that nature. When we were first looking we were looking at PUPs and smaller campers that had no bathrooms. It's only me and SIlvia and maybe the dog sometimes.

I like the versatility of the Toy Hauler but I am not sure how well the seals on that ramp door hold up over time.

As far as a tow vehicle it seems based on the two choices you would do fine with a good half ton. Just make sure you get the more powerful engine option and tow package. A 3/4 ton would be overkill and an excessive expense but I've always been one that believes it's better to have too much of something and not need it than not enough and need it. Overall the toyhauler will probably be a bit more drag and your towing MPG will be lower but I doubt it will be significant enough to factor into your selection.

As far as the bathroom goes...why on earth would you not use it? I mean if you are overnighting somewhere and woke up in the middle of the night are you saying you'd rather walk to a public restroom vs using your own? Before I bought an RV things like the grey water/black water etc were just unknowns to me and I was a bit intimidated and worried everything would be complicated. But I assure you using the water, black water, and grey water tanks and draining them are very easy. Many RV sites have full hook ups which have a sewer drain...those that don't have dump stations. If you are staying at a spot that does not have a dump station then it's actually pretty easy to find an RV park that has one. Some you can use for free and some might charge you $5 or $10 but IMO it's well worth being able to use my private restroom vs public ones. Also on longer trips the wife would also rather go into the RV and use the restroom for herself and the kids than use a public one. We always keep about 5 gals or so of water in the freshwater tank for trips for that reason alone.

We have had our toy hauler 5 years now and the door seals are still like the day we bought it

If it were just me and Shawn using it for weekends or week long trips, it would be the toy hauler.

As far as the seals, here is the truth. A camper still needs maintenance just like a house. So long as you pay attention and take care of things quickly...

If the toyhauler fits your needs and has enough cabinet space inside for clothing, food items, and such, it might be the way to go. I would love a toyhauler, even though I dont have the "toys" to go in it. Better room for storing and hauling larger items like bikes and dog crates.

Jason, also make sure the seating is comfortable. We have had some motorhomes that the seats were not deep and we were not comfortable on them. Also if you choose to go with the dinette make sure those are comfortable as well. I wanted the dinette because of the storage and bed, but as far as seating goes it isn't very comfortable especially for Rich the table isn't far enough from the seat for him to sit there any length of time.

Also make sure you are comfortable with the RV dealer that you are dealing with. I have a Jayco dealer 10 minutes from my house, but I will only by parts off them. I will not let them touch my camper or even bother talking to them when it came time to buy. I actually saved a few thousand dollars going to a dealer that was 2.5 hours away.

To be honest not using the toilet means I don't have to clean it or smell it.

So when you are at home do you just go outside or to a neighbors house? Obviously you don't. I look at our trailer as our second home...I paid too much for it not to use the thing. I think you are over thinking this...they don't really smell if you dump them after every trip and use some chemicals.

Lots of good advice here. And the part about sitting everywhere and toy haulers having better resale are excellent points.

Sit on the toilet and stand in the shower. You might need them someday. Personally, I don't use comfort stations at all, but I do send DH there to do his business. LOL

I think we are going to end up with the Toy Hauler. I like the layout better and the couches were very comfy, the dinette was not so much. I like being able to load in and out via the ramp instead of the small door.

I started looking around for a Tow Vehicle and one caught my eye. It's way more vehicle than I need but I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. I am not sure for this vehicle if the mileage is way to high to even consider it or if it culd keep trucking for a long time.

http://www.columbiaford.com/2002-GMC-Sierra-3500-Hartford-CT/vd/12961202

A one ton dually...way more truck than you need unless you are going to be loading down the bed with something as well or doing other towing and hauling. I'd probably go with a half ton or 3/4 ton and buy a bit newer. Is this going to be just a totally dedicate tow vehicle and not a daily driver? If so I guess it does not matter all that much.