A one ton dually...way more truck than you need unless you are going to be loading down the bed with something as well or doing other towing and hauling. I'd probably go with a half ton or 3/4 ton and buy a bit newer. Is this going to be just a totally dedicate tow vehicle and not a daily driver? If so I guess it does not matter all that much.

Yeah almost entirely for towing and trips to the hardware store. Just wasn't sure how well the GMC's hold up. I have Ford and Dodge experience in my past but no GMC.

I have talked to guys at the fuel pump with that 8.1 motor and they say it pulls good. With the mileage on it I would have a mechanic that you trust check it out. As far as to much truck there is no such thing for pulling. I use to pull a 4500 pound 5th wheel with a 1 ton 7.3 diesel. It was great never knew the trailer was back there. It was stress free towing. Then I bought a 6.0 ford diesel and a 12,000 pound toy hauler loaded. It was not fun the truck never had enough power to pull the camper up hills. Replaced my 6.0 diesel with the new 6.7 ford diesel (way more power) and problem solved. My camper is wide body and high profile so it cathes lots of wind. So it need a little more power to move 70 mph even though it was rated to pull the weight the wind drag was killing my 6.0 diesel. As far as a dually it makes for more stable towing. I always buy single rear wheel 1 tons because I don't pull enough to drive a dually everyday. But at times I do wish I would have bought the dually. With a dually you can forget bank drive through.

Yeah I do agree with you Dave...when towing you can't have too much. I guess I was just saying it was too much truck if they wanted it for other things...but if it's a pure tow vehicle..then what the heck...might as well. I like to balance economy and power...since this is really only going to be used for towing then economy isnt as important.....more powerful engines can often provide more economy when towing heavier loads anyway.

I'd say if you are looking to spend less than 10k on a tow vehicle then just be ready to have a few mechanical issues. I'd also echo what was said about having it looked over before buying.

Agree with Lone Star...those V10s were awesome...I wonder why they stopped making them??

Agree with Lone Star...those V10s were awesome...I wonder why they stopped making them??

I believe they still make them. As far as I know they are still available in the E-series and the 450/550 chassis. The E-series is going away soon, but I think they will still offer the v10 in the motorhome chassis. As far as use in the F-series...I guess that is done?

In any case, I love the engine. Have had a Winnebago class A with it, and my current van has it too. I call it Smooth and Thirsty. LOL.

Late to the party, but this...

Jason, also make sure the seating is comfortable. We have had some motorhomes that the seats were not deep and we were not comfortable on them.

Loved our hybrid but hated, truly detested the couch. It was neither wide enough nor deep enough to sit on comfortably. It totally SMB.

When we were at the Fort for a few weeks we would flip it out into bed mode to sit on it because it was the only way it was even remotely comfortable. And of course then you couldn't walk between it and the dinette.

We don't sit around inside a lot when we're camping, but on a rainy day or even just sitting to watch a bit of TV before bed, that thing was just horrid.

I hated it.

Really.

A lot.

I consulted my Jason. According to him our 35 ft Class C with 2 slides has that 8.1 with an Allison 6 speed transmision. This means nothing to me, but apparently that's the same engine that 3500 series truck. It's a lot of truck and a good engine and transmission. He said he'd lean towards a smaller truck that's newer with lower miles, but admits that the plus side of that truck is that you could pull a much bigger trailer if you decide to trade up. The high miles do worry him though.

We pulled our trailer with a Nissan Titan that had a towing package before our Class C.

Larry has a diesel van. I consider him more like Michael with the powerstroke. :rofl3:

Oh that's low. I guess I will tell you that you're v10 is underpowered and your brakes are to small. Plus I need your vin number on the van to make sure the last 2 digits of it match the first 2 digits of your trailers vin so you will have the correct ball size to connect to your brake controller.

Oh that's low. I guess I will tell you that you're v10 is underpowered and your brakes are to small. Plus I need your vin number on the van to make sure the last 2 digits of it match the first 2 digits of your trailers vin so you will have the correct ball size to connect to your brake controller.

I thought it was impolite to ask a man about his ball size....

I feel somewhat responsible, since I called Dave a Larry Wannabe. I understand Dave needs a tow vehicle that can carry all the estrogen producers that go camping with him, hence the van instead of a real truck. Larry, on the other hand, just loads his up with crap.

I feel somewhat responsible, since I called Dave a Larry Wannabe. I understand Dave needs a tow vehicle that can carry all the estrogen producers that go camping with him, hence the van instead of a real truck. Larry, on the other hand, just loads his up with crap.

See that is where there is a difference, Dave loads up stall number 2 with all his crap.

Jason, I have a booklet that gives the tow capacity for almost every vehicle out there, it is for the current year models but it will give you ideas. I will bring it to Gettysburg for you.