2013 Dutchman Voltage 3813 Toy Hauler

(No, I'm not in the market...just found this wild)

This month's Trailer Life magazine has a picture of the new Voltage 3813 TH. This picture surprised me quite a bit...it shows a full size Ram 1500 pickup on the ramp, partially in the trailer...suggesting you can haul your truck inside the trailer.

Now, this new Voltage is a beast. The garage is 18' long, and the trailer is 102" wide. According to the specs on the Dutchman website the cargo capacity of the trailer is 5,344 pounds. I suppose theoretically, if you carried no other items in your trailer and the pickup was barebones, the numbers might work on paper. But not being a TH owner, I guess I don't understand how this wouldn't be "too much".

Those of you with TH's...what are your thoughts? Do any of you with large TH's put that much weight in them and pull it with anything other than a MDT? Or is this just another example of ridiculous marketing?

We saw that trailer at the Houston RV show this month. We really liked it. It was the only toy hauler we liked better then ours. But with a show special price of $72,500.00 they can keep it. It's normal price was $110,000.00. But it was really nice and could sleep quite a few people.

I looked on the Dutchman website...they did not have this model listed. I saw the Voltage series but not this one. Overall wow...very nice....but in this case if you are spending 72k...yeah it better be nice. That's more than double what I just spend on my trailer and I'm almost embarrassed I spend as much as I did on a pure toy. But boy are they fun! At least the entire family loves doing it.

It looks like it was done primarily as an eyecatching display at an RV show. I don't think it would really carry that load, and if it did, how the hell would you get out of the truck once it was loaded?

Marketing BS at its finest. That Lippert frame would fold in half with that much weight just in the garage. Plus, Voltage owners have had enough trouble with their ramp doors without loading a truck on them.

If you load a TH up for an extended dry camp you eat up a lot of carrying capacity. Mine will carry nearly 1000 lbs of water plus 240 lbs of gas before any gear is put in it.

The 18' garage is what I really liked. It's hard to find that big of a garage on a 5th wheel. Most are between 8 and 12'. Our garage/living area is 16'. So it's tight with 2 carts in there.

I contract to a dealer in Denver and pull many different types of trailers.

Work and Play make the most economical ones I've seen and they will custom your floorplan any way you want it. I pulled a 44' fiver that was set up to carry a full sized race car with an appropriate GVWR.

I also pulled a 42' fiver that was made to carry a Jeep Wrangler.

No problems with entry/exit of vehicles as they build and place the trailer side doors wherever you want them

I have no idea what TV the eventual owners were going to use.

Work and Play does have a good reputation for quality custom and much less expensive than the Voltage, etc.

Ken