From the Disney Parks Blog...

Vinylmation Evolution: Exciting Future for Collectible Figures at Disney Parks

posted on March 4th, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

vin116747SMALL.jpg

In a recent article about new Hidden Mickey pins at Disney Parks, I mentioned that long-time merchandiser Julie Young is now responsible for Vinylmation. I’ve known Julie for the past nine years. Without her, I probably wouldn’t be writing this article, as she was on the interview panel that hired me for my previous trading manager role. Julie spent more than 10 years with Disney pins. She has an incredible passion for creating memorable merchandise, so I was excited to hear about her vision for Vinylmation. We recently spoke at the Disney Theme Park Merchandise headquarters.

vin226747SMALL.jpg

What is one word to describe your experience with Vinylmation so far?

Julie: “I think ‘fascinating’ summarizes my experience. I’ve learned so much about the designer toy market, along with what has made Vinylmation successful in recent years. I’ve also learned about some of the biggest opportunities facing this category. With the fifth anniversary in November, we thought this was a good time to review what makes these collectible figures so great.”

What are some of the changes that Vinylmation fans can expect to see?

Julie: “Vinylmation, like Disney pins, has a strong and passionate fan base. We heard from fans about what they would like to see with Vinylmation. To many, it’s all about the collectability and rarity of figures. We also know that the thrill of the chase is a critical part of the experience. You will see us focus more on mystery boxes and focus less on open edition figures. We will be trying new things that we hope will keep things exciting, such as eight-figure mystery series that will make completing sets easier.”

vin336747SMALL.jpg

What are some of your favorite upcoming series and figures?

Julie: “I’m looking forward to the Urban Redux series in March. I love how we took a risk by rethinking how Vinylmation could exist at Disney Parks. The ‘Cutesters En Vogue’ series in March is super cute and will introduce the new Minnie Mouse-shaped platform. I think the ‘Beauty and the Beast’ series in June looks beautiful. Finally, I love the ‘Silly Symphony’ series coming in early fall as it features long lost characters rarely seen on merchandise.”

vin446747SMALL.jpg

Do you have any words of wisdom for a new Vinylmation collector?

Julie: “Go with what you love. Build collections around your favorite characters, stories or themes. Most importantly, have fun! We have fun creating these figures and hope fans have as much fun collecting them.”

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/03/vinylmation-evolution-exciting-future-for-collectible-figures-at-disney-parks/

I don't get it. I understand pins, as you wear them into the parks and actively trade with CM's. It can be fun for both kids and adults. And I get the activity based collecting like SOTMK. But this vinylmation thing is beyond me. To each his own though. There's a lot of people out there that would look at my choice of traveling to Disney World in a trailer and think I'm an idiot. So I won't judge.

We have never seen the draw to vinylmation either. They cost way too much to be easy to collect.

Bingo! I have 3 vinylmations - one was from a friend, one is a musket mickey, and one is the 9" Goofy River Country one that I got for less than half price.

I actually could fall into collecting these pretty easily - while some are just weird, there are some sets that are kinda cool.

But the cost keeps me away... not to mention where to put the little dust collectors.

I don't even get the pins......

I buy a few that I like, but the trading?

I could understand it, if there were pins that were ONLY issued to Cast Members to be used as traders, then you could trade pins you purchased for the special traders, or if there were regional pins sold only at certain Disney stores in certain parts of the country, then there would be a point to trading, but since MOST of the pins are available for sale at lots of the pin kiosks and retail locations, then just buy the ones you like, done!

I know there are discontinued pins, etc, etc, but I still just don't get the trading part.

I don't LIKE the Vinylmation, but the way they are sold are more conducive for trading, you buy a mystery figure, and if it's a duplicate of one you have, you then trade with someone so that you each get what you want.

I don't even get the pins......

I buy a few that I like, but the trading?

I could understand it, if there were pins that were ONLY issued to Cast Members to be used as traders, then you could trade pins you purchased for the special traders, or if there were regional pins sold only at certain Disney stores in certain parts of the country, then there would be a point to trading, but since MOST of the pins are available for sale at lots of the pin kiosks and retail locations, then just buy the ones you like, done!

I know there are discontinued pins, etc, etc, but I still just don't get the trading part.

I don't LIKE the Vinylmation, but the way they are sold are more conducive for trading, you buy a mystery figure, and if it's a duplicate of one you have, you then trade with someone so that you each get what you want.

The pin trading is something that two of my girls enjoy. We buy cheap pins online for gifts, and they then have pins that they can trade for ones they really like at Disney. They also get a kick out of the interactions with some of the CM's they trade with. So for my kids it is something to do and be interested in, sort of like collecting all the characters' autographs in a book.

I have a few vinylmations. They are okay, but I cant see collecting a lot of them