I remember when we went louping on this board there was mention of discount stores behind the magic kingdom. Two questions do I need an employee with me to get in and how do we get there from the fort. Thanks in advance

They check for IDs at one of the stores, but not usually at the main store, so where you probably could get in and look around, you won't be able to buy anything without a CM.

The roads to get there are public roads, but you shouldn't go into any of the restricted access WDW service areas.

Besides, you can see a lot more on Google Earth anyways.

No offense, Lou, but he took us to the big employee store on our last trip.  I was so looking forward to it, but it was no big deal.  We had just been to the Disney outlet at Prime Outlets, and they basically had the same merchandise in the employee store at the same prices.  I was disappointed.

No offense, Lou, but he took us to the big employee store on our last trip.  I was so looking forward to it, but it was no big deal.  We had just been to the Disney outlet at Prime Outlets, and they basically had the same merchandise in the employee store at the same prices.  I was disappointed.

Not sure why I would be offended, but the prices are la little lower than the outlet store.

The marked prices are about the same, but at check CMs get an additional 10 or 20% off, I forget which one.

I can confirm what Lou says.  As a former CM I checked it out once....bought a nice Mickey beach towel that lasted for 12 years and had to be retired recently.  Mostly clothes, towels, it's essentially property control sales from what I remember...again it was 12 years ago that I was working there.

I can confirm what Lou says.  As a former CM I checked it out once....bought a nice Mickey beach towel that lasted for 12 years and had to be retired recently.  Mostly clothes, towels, it's essentially property control sales from what I remember...again it was 12 years ago that I was working there.

There are four sections, 3 are in the larger Cast Connection bldg. and one is in a separate bldg next to it.

The main building has food items, toys, pins, clothes, etc. It also houses the Property Control items that are cash and carry. The 3rd section in that building has the Property Control non-vehicle items that are up for bid.

The 4th and stand alone smaller building will only allow CMs to enter and that's where it's possible to find real treasures, but it's rare. That's where I found my most prized Disney item. It's a huge statue of Mickey and Minnie. It has one minor blemish and I've seen it for as much as $600, I paid $53. I believe it's discontinued.

400156156338.jpg

You forgot to mention the 4 Company D stores around property. There are also special sales events after a major event (food and wine, flower and garden, etc) where CMs can get those special items not sold out during the event at discounted prices. The food and wine one is where we stock up on our wine.

You forgot to mention the 4 Company D stores around property. There are also special sales events after a major event (food and wine, flower and garden, etc) where CMs can get those special items not sold out during the event at discounted prices. The food and wine one is where we stock up on our wine.

Ooh - that sounds like a most excellent sale!

Lou, ole buddy, dear friend, etc, etc....yes I am buttering you up.   Will we be able to make another trip to the CM stores while we are there?  Thanks. See you soon.   :heart:  :partythree:  :banana:  :mh1:  :fairydust:  :purpleflam:  :rollercoaster:    

If you want a giant sack of rice or some discontinued Vinylmations, the CM store is the place to go. Although my wife did get a ton of flatware really cheap, and now I feel like I am eating breakfast at a Disney resort every morning.

If you want a giant sack of rice or some discontinued Vinylmations, the CM store is the place to go. Although my wife did get a ton of flatware really cheap, and now I feel like I am eating breakfast at a Disney resort every morning.

Flatware used by 100,000 people, now that says Disney. You know you can buy it new at Walmart.

Hmm, maybe you do know Bobby? Did they ask him for his ID?

Flatware used by 100,000 people, now that says Disney. You know you can buy it new at Walmart.

Hmm, maybe you do know Bobby? Did they ask him for his ID?

Yeah, and it was kind of embarrassing.

I also  got a big bag of Broccoli for $4 and it was fresh and delicious.  Got some t-shirts for about 1/3 the price in the parks.  Got some neat wire mickey head shaped baskets which I LOVE. And several other things.    Loved shopping there.  :heart:   :jumpforjoy

I always wanted to see the utilidors also, but haven't yet

The utilidors/tunnels have been way over-hyped. Go to the bottom level of any large convention hotel and it'll look pretty much like the utilidors. Picture Disney propaganda banners and posters here and there and you have it. Really, there's nothing magical about it.

Disney geeks think it's cool, but it's another one of Walt's failed engineering ideas which has not been repeated at any of the WDW theme parks. Kinda like the real EPCOT concept boondoggle.

The logistical challenges of having the majority of supplies and employees for such a large operation funneled through a single smallish entrance makes it a daily nightmare.

As you can see by the photo, just making the turn-around with a CM shuttle bus was something ole Walt didn't factor in.

And the traffic flow back there while the Fantasyland expansion was going on was like playing Tri-level chess

Also notice that the utilidors are not below ground, they're not tunnels at all.

Utilidor_zpsec7e2c38.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This past week the CM stores had some great items.  Especially if you are into Christmas.  They had large thick green boughs all decorated with the larger balls, etc. selling for $10 and $15.  I now wish I had bought some.  They had a lot of dishes, different patterns, lots and lots of flatwear, etc.  I saw several ladies with baskets filled with the green decorations.   There were a lot of Christmas Tree balls & various seasonal items.  I saw one man having a ball with the carpets....I think I heard him say he wanted to buy both that he was looking at.  They did look good.   I got some outifts for the babies, Minnie dress for Kimberly, little girl purses, pins and 3 or 4 packs of the Disney Ball Point pins.  They are regularly $9.95 and I got them for $2.99.   Now wish I had bought more of those too.  Also got a Shawnee a T Shirt for about $7 (might have been less) and that was before the CM discount.  I am very happy with my purchases. 

Thanks again Lou.