A word of warning for you. I am not sure if cell service has improved or not, but when we were driving on I-90 through a lot of SD the reception was scarce. I have Verizon and I was able to have at least one bar to make a quick call. At the time DH had TMobile and got nothing.

Someone also mentioned a book on another thread that tells you what is at the next exit. Invest in that book. The exits are few and far between.

Besides Wall Drug other places we stopped at were The Corn Palace and the Bad Lands.

You really have a few different routes to take to get there. One would take you through Wisconsin and Minnesota then to SD. Another would have you going through Illinois and Iowa with part of your path in Iowa being right on the Iowa Nebraska border. If you have the time, I would recommend a visit to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha.

What might be fun to do is go there one way and return another. Of course this would depend on how much actual time you had for this vacation.

To recommendations.  One is, if you have AAA you can go to their site to create a "Trip Tik".  Once you put the route in, you can set it up to show you campgrounds along the way.  I have been planning my "big" trip that way - driving from SC to Colorado Springs and back.

The other recommendation is to look at "We Camp Here" for campground recommendations.

HTH!

To recommendations. One is, if you have AAA you can go to their site to create a "Trip Tik". Once you put the route in, you can set it up to show you campgrounds along the way. I have been planning my "big" trip that way - driving from SC to Colorado Springs and back.

The other recommendation is to look at "We Camp Here" for campground recommendations.

HTH!

Be careful using AAA Trip Tik for planning. At times they will have you taking a much longer route than you need to.

Boy, have I got a LOT of advice for you.  I'll start slow.  If you go through the UP, Wisconsin, and across MN and the two Dakotas, it's almost all two lane Highway.  Your travel time will be impacted until you get most of the way across MN because of all the small towns.  Once you get farther out west, two laners aren't such a big deal because you can still make time.

When we travel west, I like to stay in the small towns.  Once you get to western MN and into the Dakotas and Nebraska, most of the small towns, even the little tiny ones, have free RV parking for overnight stays in city parks.  Some are better than others.  I do lots of scoping on google maps and bing maps to decide if it looks any good.

Big piece of advice:  Nebraska has an amazing state park system.  Really top notch parks, most have a pool, cabins, and lots of fun stuff to do.  I've been to the Black Hills a million times so we don't stay there as much any more.  We had a great trip to western Nebraska last summer with lots of history stuff.

In Minnesota you might want to check out the National Eagle Center in Wabasha MN.  http://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/  It's not too far off of 90, and you will drive within a mile of my house on the way there most likely.

There are several Little House on the Prairie sites from the Eagle Center area to SD.  We've been to Burr Oak and DeSmet and enjoyed them.  http://www.travellerspoint.com/guide/The_Wilder_Trail/

We like 1880s town on the way across 90 in SD.  http://www.1880town.com/   I can do without Wall Drug.  But to each their own.  There is an authentic prairie homestead we really enjoyed at the entrance to the Badlands (something you should see)  http://www.prairiehomestead.com/

I'm sure I'll think of more and be along soon with some more suggestions.

The best, cheapest place we've stayed in the Black Hills is the Hart Ranch.  http://www.hartranchresort.com/form/2.html?random=0

To get the good deal you have to sit through one of their pitches to buy in and be an owner.  And I have to tell you it was the most painless one I've ever been to.  A nice retired real estate agent explained the rules and how it works, and asked if we had any questions.  No high pressure, no pushing at all.  We actually had some questions on how things work, otherwise we would have been sprung earlier.  And we KNEW we weren't buying anything.  And we never felt tempted.  It's a great campground, and stuff in the store and restaurant was cheap.  It's a bunch of retirees running the place and they keep everything nice and reasonably priced.  And from the ranch you are in a good position to take the back roads to all the great stuff to see in the Black Hills if you take the back roads.  It's very centrally located on a good road.

• 6 months later...

Cabelas in Mitchell is worth a visit. 

The Corn Palace (also in Mitchell) is fun and free.  Good chance to get out and stretch.

When are you going?   Watch for Rally Week...the first full week of August.  It will be just you and 50,00 bikers!  We have been then more than once, and it is neat and no problems except that prices go up that week and reservations are harder to get.

x2 on the lighting ceremony.

x2 on Custer State Park.  Great camp sites in the park, and you can reserve ahead online.  Just do a search on SD state parks.

x2 on Wall Drug.  Get a free bumper sticker to start conversations later!

We really like the Beaver Lake Campground in Custer...very nice people.

Keep an eye on the weather...T'storms can pop up quick.

As you maybe can tell we love it there, and go out every couple of years.  If you want to IM will be glad to provide more info, some of it may even be useful! :)