Reasons to celebrate…. GaDawgFan’s Spring Break Trip Report

Easter morning we were up early. Z got his basket, and we headed down to the Settlement for the Candy Scramble and character meet and greet. I knew from last year that this meant that Z was going to get an obscene amount of candy.

Last year Thumper posed for pictures before the scramble. This year he just went around and danced with the kids. I liked the way they did it last year better, but oh well.

IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

Dancing

IMG_3102.jpg

This year the scramble was Brave themed. Z’s area was the bears.

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

Candy. Candy. And more candy.

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

I messed up and missed Mickey and Minnie coming out. This meant we were waaaaaay back in line.

When we got close, they pulled a Snow White and left. I heard they came back later, but we were gone. They did leave in style.

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

When they left Thumper replaced them. Z didn’t seem to mind we didn’t get the Mickey picture. We have some from last year, so it is what it is.

IMG_3114.jpg

They had some games set up.

IMG_1103.jpg

After playing on the playground and saying good-bye to our friends, we went back to the motorhome. I wanted to hunt for the golden egg, but Z needed a nap, and the rest of the crew was tired, so we did nap.

After naptime, we went to visit a spot made famous by TCD, met more Fiends, and had dinner with the Fab 5. That’s up next!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was sweet he got the picture.   It will be nice to have when he's 18 and asks you if you ever dropped him on his head.   You can tell him "No, but there was this time we walked you to the top of th

After napping, we decided to go on an adventure to find TCD’s spot. I was going on memory, and Jason was wondering if I was crazy, but we found it.

IMG_1123.jpg

9bb5d5fd-5909-4bce-af4b-b43e54a6de66.jpg

They are still lowering the water level in the canal.

IMG_1124.jpg

We headed back to the site and met Lorna and Rich a little later. A potential new Fiend borrowed some leveling boards from us. New Fiend, are you here? Then AuburnChris came by.

We had to cut our visit kind of short because we had an ADR at Chef Mickey’s for Easter dinner.

On the way to dinner

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

They had an Easter egg like the ones at the Grand Floridian. If you want to see those too, you’re in luck because we head there the next day.

IMG_1127.jpg

The menu

IMG_1128.jpg

My first plate

IMG_1129.jpg

OK, not sure what happened. None of the pictures with the characters uploaded to photobucket, so I don’t have them now. I’ll go ahead and post this update and add them here tonight. So sorry, for now it’s Chef Mickey’s without Mickey!

Z got a special birthday cupcake.

IMG_1132.jpg

He also got a yellow napkin to wave around. Chef Mickey’s really is a great place for kids.

IMG_1136.jpg

My dessert

IMG_1133.jpg

After Chef Mickey’s we headed back to the campsite. We had to get up early the next morning for Z’s pirate adventure! 

The candy scramble looks like a blast.  I can't believe how much candy they give away.  They have gotten so cheap with the other holidays, that it surprises me they do all of this for Easter.

It's nice to see they had characters out to meet guests.  They have cut back on that too for other holidays.

TCD

The candy was better last year, but I think it was just because of the section Z was in. They made the bears out of mostly tootsie rolls. Last year he got a lot more variety. He didn't care though. You can see from that bucket why the Easter bunny did not bring any candy, huh? 

Great Pics.

Nice job getting to TCD's spot.  It is an awesome spot.

It is a very awesome spot. We took way more pictures than what I posted. I was hoping our carriage ride would go that way for our anniversary, but it didn't. It was still cool though.

The poor little bunny on the cheesecake looking thing.  Did you chomp him in half or all in one bite?

I don't think I actually ate him. LOL

Translation..  You are the greatest parents ever....

I'd like to think so. :)

I'm finally in!!! So, sorry I'm late.

We got home from the fort and 2 nights later left for a conference, so I've been dealing with life after 3 weeks away from home.

Ack! I just realized I left out something from Friday. Between the pool and dinner we met BuckeyeFortMama, BuckeyeFortFan, and family. Sorry I left you guys out!

No need to worry!

I think you will make an awesome grandfather. And you will get to relive the joy of seeing Disney through the eyes of a small child again. It's good stuff.

All those trip reports are just research for Grandpa time!

Great pics Kelly!

Everyone looks like they are all having a great time!

We really did!

I'm finally in!!! So, sorry I'm late.

We got home from the fort and 2 nights later left for a conference, so I've been dealing with life after 3 weeks away from home.

Welcome aboard! You're a busy lady! Again, it was great to meet you guys.

Monday morning, it was time for Z’s pirate adventure. And yes, we got to the Fort on Friday, it’s Monday, and we haven’t visited a park yet. That was Jason’s request. He wanted more relaxation and time to explore things we’d never seen. It was fun doing so!

We took the boat and then the monorail over to the Grand Floridian. The pirate adventure is kids only for ages 4-12. (Z barely made the cut since he had turned 4 two days earlier.) It’s 2 hours and about $35. The kids ride around on a pirate ship, land various places, and follow clues to treasure. They give the kids a light lunch as well.

He was the youngest pirate (not shocking). There was one 5 year old. Most of the kids were in the 6- 9 range. The cool thing was that a couple of moms encouraged their older kids to befriend Z when they saw him get a little nervous. I knew the send-off would be a little touchy, but we have a boat and Z loves pirate stuff, so I knew he’d be OK once they left.

We checked in and he got his bandana and special pirate vest, AKA life jacket. You fill out info about your cell number, food allergies, etc.

IMG_1146.jpg

Like I said, at this point, Z got kind of nervous, but once on the boat, he was fine. At about 9:30, they were off!

IMG_1153.jpg

There are going to be some spoilers here, so don’t read if that bothers you. STOP IF SO.

As they were sailing off, they were having the kids pick a word to mean treasure because after all, if you yell treasure in front of other people, they’ll steal it! The words they decided were funny.

IMG_7719.jpg

Candid of having a blast!

IMG_7740.jpg

So while all that was going on, we had to come up with something to entertain ourselves. Wait, we’re alone….. it’s kind of like a DATE! You know I’m a planner, so I already knew where we’d go…. To the Poly! I’d never had Tonga Toast, and we needed to fix that.

We arrived at Captain Cook’s.

IMG_1154.jpg

Yumminess

IMG_1157.jpg

Jason’s choice

IMG_1155.jpg

Breakfast was really good and not very expensive. We ate outside, and pretty much had the patio to ourselves. It was nice.

We still had some time to kill, so we hopped the monorail back to the Grand Floridian to check out the chocolate Easter eggs. It’s amazing what they can do!

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

I think this collection is my favorite.

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

I’m not sure what the photo limit is, so I’m going to finish in a new post.

Here they are returning.

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7733.jpg

Do you notice how it looks like there are no kids on the boat? The CMs had them hide. When they pulled in, they told us that they had to trade the kids for the treasure. Then, they jumped up and screamed. The kids had a great time “tricking” us.

They divided up the treasure. Which consisted of pirate trinkets like a patch, tattoos, gold coins, etc.

IMG_7743.jpg

Enjoying some of his loot.

IMG_1171.jpg

He really had a great time. Finding out exactly what happened from a 4 year old is kind of hard. He’s still talking about it and telling us different stuff. I know Zachary got the first clue, they visited the shoe tree, and dug up treasure on the beach. He thought it was funny that they called goldfish crackers stinky rotten fish and that they all ate them because that’s what pirates do. Besides that, who know, but he loved it. I would definitely recommend it.

On the way back, we picked up our park tickets, because we were heading to the MK the next day!

But first, we have a HUGE parenting fail coming later this afternoon.

Great stuff!

Even the great TCD is learning things from this TR!

I've never seen those big Easter eggs that you saw at the GF and elsewhere.

And, I don't recall ever reading a first hand report of the pirate cruise- it sounds like the perfect thing for young kids to do.  This is something else they didn't have when my girls were that age, although I'm not sure they would have wanted to do it at the time.

I'm always up for hearing about HUGE parenting fails, so bring it.

TCD

Those eggs are amazing!

Aren't they? The pictures really don't do them justice. Apparently they do the display every year. I had read about it the year before, but we didn't make it over there. There were way more, but I only took pictures of some. They had info about their weights, etc.

I just explained this to Bella to see if she wanted to go and she started crying. "I don't want to be a pirate!"

Well, if she changes her mind, there were several pirate princesses there.

Great stuff!

Even the great TCD is learning things from this TR!

I've never seen those big Easter eggs that you saw at the GF and elsewhere.

And, I don't recall ever reading a first hand report of the pirate cruise- it sounds like the perfect thing for young kids to do.  This is something else they didn't have when my girls were that age, although I'm not sure they would have wanted to do it at the time.

I'm always up for hearing about HUGE parenting fails, so bring it.

TCD

I'm glad I'm showing you some new things! I didn't know that was possible. The pirate cruise is AWESOME. They really did all the details right, and the CMs doing it obviously loved the job. Their interaction with the kids was great. And it gives parents a little alone time. Bonus! The parenting fail is next. Don't worry, Z is still alive.

I am glad Captain Z enjoyed himself.

You left a nice cliffhanger there with the epic parenting fail comment.

I am sure TCD is proud.

Yes, he loved it. Your kids would too! Here we go with the parenting fail..... Don't turn me into DFACs, OK?

We have come to the huge parenting fail. After the pirate adventure and a nap, we hit the pool. Things went well at first. Z is almost swimming and loves holding his breath. That last part comes in handy in a few minutes.

IMG_3128.jpg

Look, he even knows how to ham it up under water.

IMG_3137.jpg

At this point, he wanted to go down the big slide. Well, he got nervous so Jason rode down with him. Yep, that’s against the rules. Turn us in now.

IMG_3139.jpg

He loved it! And he was ready to ride down himself. This time, he wanted me to come with him. So, I gave the camera to Jason, told him to take a picture of his first time down the slide by himself, and up the stairs we went.

He was a little nervous, but I encouraged him and said it would be fun.

Well…. Have I mentioned that Z is little and only weighs 32 lbs.? Apparently that’s not enough to keep straight on the slide. This is how he came down.

IMG_3141.jpg

PARENTING FAIL

In hindsight, it’s kind of amusing that Jason shot the picture before rescuing him. He did have his floatie frog and goggles on. Oops. I bet it will be a few years before he tries that again.

On a good note, he wasn’t crying when I got down the slide. I think he was too shocked.

That night we had hot dogs for dinner and went to bed fairly early. We had a Magic Kingdom day on Tuesday.

It was sweet he got the picture.

It will be nice to have when he's 18 and asks you if you ever dropped him on his head.

You can tell him "No, but there was this time we walked you to the top of the Fort slide, pushed you down it while you were kicking and screaming, and wished you the best of luck."

Who cares if it didn't actually happen that way? 

I bet he will be back on the slide before you know it.

Funny thing. 

My DD is all about coasters but won't touch a water slide.

DS is scared pooh-less of coasters but is all about the water slides.

Go figure.