Trip Report 4/18 - 4/25

We just returned from The Fort, our stay was in the 1500 Loop from the 18th-25th. First off, we had a great time and are looking at early 2014 for the next trip (this was our second Fort trip). Couple of observations and minor criticisms. Might help others who are planning.

- Fort Operations - we used the Magical Express from the airport to get to the Fort. No problem there. From the front of the campground a van took us to our site (we had a rental pop-up). When leaving, the Magical Express service doesn't include luggage pickup, so I had to arrange that with Fort operations. Lucky for me, I called back the next day to confirm our very early pickup time (4:30 AM). Apparently the person I spoke to on Tuesday hadn't entered us into the system or something, and if I hadn't called back Wednesday we would have been stuck with two kids and plenty of luggage at 4:30 yesterday morning.

- Pool - A bracket fell off the waterworks feature, and I stepped on it, getting the business end of a screw in the ball of my foot. I'm glad it was me and not a youngster. No real harm done, it was sore for a few hours. I turned the bracket in to the events coordinator or whoever was running the pool party. I hope maintenance was alerted.

- Trails End - We ate there once for dinner, and were underwhelmed. Other people we met had the same opinion. It wasn't terrible or anything, but for $75 for three people (well four, but our son was free being under 2) we expected better quality. We didn't go back for breakfast. We did do breakfast last year and it was good (and cheaper than dinner).

- Pricing - Specifically beer. I know it's a resort and I expect to get gouged a little. But, $15 for a six-pack? The Meadows store doesn't even stock decent beer. We didn't have a car, so I passed altogether and waited for my brother-in-law to show up and take us grocery shopping.

OK enough of the bad stuff. Our kids had a wonderful time, we used the pool heavily and went to the campfire two or three times. The Fort is our favorite campground, and at this point I can't imagine doing Disney any other way. I would advise anyone to call Operations and re-confirm any service that was requested.

I realized today that we don't have a single picture of our site! Unless my wife has one, if so I'll post it.

Cute kids!

Did they play tetherball right there on the loop?

TCD

Thanks! Actually that was taken on the beach, while waiting for a boat to go over to MK. It was a gorgeous afternoon in the 80's, which hurts to think about today back in Pennsylvania, where it might have topped out at 60 degrees.

I think your complaints are valid. Bringing in groceries is the only way to go.

Excited to hear more and see your pics!

We did bring groceries, a whole suitcase full of dry goods actually. Really helped cut down expenses. What we couldn't bring, the camper rental folks picked up for us ahead of time. And like I mentioned, my brother-in-law arrived a few days into our week and was able to help us (especially with beer :doublebeer: ).

I think your complaints are valid. Bringing in groceries is the only way to go.

Excited to hear more and see your pics!

We did bring groceries, a whole suitcase full of dry goods actually. Really helped cut down expenses. What we couldn't bring, the camper rental folks picked up for us ahead of time. And like I mentioned, my brother-in-law arrived a few days into our week and was able to help us (especially with beer :doublebeer: ).

Matt, you use the term "Fort Operations" several times, is that what you call the Front Office or is there another department that is called that?

When you call the main front office number, I believe the initial recorded message does say something along the lines of "thank you for calling Fort Wilderness operations".