Not Ready For Prime Time Bus Driver

More proof that you should take my advice and "stay off the damn buses".

The post below was on the transportation forum of another board.

"Scary Disney bus ride tonight

Tonight when Epcot was closing and we were in line to go back to AKL, the bus driver pulled up and asked us if he was at the right station. I should have known it was a bad sign. He missed his turn off and we ended up off Disney property! He made a u-turn on the interstate. He had to call ( while he was driving, yikes!) to get directions to our lodge. He then almost turned into moving traffic , until the front part of the bus yelled at him to stop. We were lost for over 1/2 hour! He did apologize but it scared a heck of a lot of people. I was so thankful to be back tonight."

There is no excuse for any of this happening. From what I've heard, new drivers get over 2 months of location training before they go out on their own.
Because of the very special situation when I came in, my class of drivers went solo after only about a month. I was so apprehensive about making a mistake and was on pins and needles the whole time. It was not an enjoyable first day to say the least.
And yes, everything went smoothly that day.

Let's dissect this post.

Tonight when Epcot was closing and we were in line to go back to AKL, the bus driver pulled up and asked us if he was at the right station.

This is perfectly understandable. At closing time at Epcot, a number of bus stops are changed in order to deal with the larger crowds. One that changes is the AK and AKL, they're combined because AK is closed and it really doesn't need it's own load zone. It can be confusing to a newbie that doesn't work at Epcot on a regular basis and because he was most likely a newbie, he was a part time driver and they don't work out of the same hub on a regular basis.

I should have known it was a bad sign. He missed his turn off and we ended up off Disney property!

There are two places where if you miss the turn, you're headed off property. This one put him back on World Drive south. Drivers do get trained on how to get back on property if it happens.

He made a u-turn on the interstate.

I suspect the poster may have thought that he was on the Interstate, but I think the bus was still on World Drive. There are places to make a U turn long before hitting I-4.

He had to call ( while he was driving, yikes!) to get directions to our lodge. 

I'm not sure if he was calling for directions or just calling to inform dispatch that he was going off property. Drivers must call dispatch once they know they're heading off property. What did the poster expect the driver to do, stop on World Drive? Drivers can and do use the radio on a regular basis while driving. 

He then almost turned into moving traffic , until the front part of the bus yelled at him to stop.

I don't know about this, what, the driver didn't see the oncoming cars?

We were lost for over 1/2 hour!

People lie about wait times all the time. It's always, we've been waiting for 45 minutes, when I know for a fact that a bus was there 20 minutes ago. How do I know that, because it was me.

He did apologize but it scared a heck of a lot of people. I was so thankful to be back tonight.

Well if the poster had been on this board, he would have known to "stay of the damn buses".

Why are you on another site? Is purple not your color?

As we don't have a very active Transportation forum, yes, I do go to another site that does.

As for purple being my color, I've been told that I bleed purple by a former Fiend. I don't think it was meant to be a compliment.

He loves Josh over at easywdw.com. He just can't help himself.

Josh and I are pals. I visit him at his parents basement to play video games and discuss the latest Superman comic book all the time.

I wonder how much is the truth. You know how people love to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I agree. I'm sure it happened, but not exactly as it's written.

we are all human and make mistakes. 

Yup, and I've made a few, however, other than hitting something or someone, going off property is considered to be the ultimate mistake a driver can make. I can't imagine doing it because after driving for a few months, making the turns that avoids going off property becomes so automatic.

I agree with you, Lou, if the story is not completely made up, it has certainly been embellished.  

I remember hearing a story about a Disney bus driver who was "half way to Tampa" before he realized he was lost.

No way.

I run into clueless CM's all the time.  But bus drivers typically are the brightest CM's I encounter.  For the most part, Disney seems to be very careful about who they put in that position.  And for good reason.

TCD

And who's to say that it wasn't a third party bus that Disney contracted. There were a lot of them during spring break.

It helps that bus drivers have to meet some kind of standard, not that you have to be a rocket scientist to meet it, but nonetheless it's there.

And who's to say that it wasn't a third party bus that Disney contracted. There were a lot of them during spring break.

It helps that bus drivers have to meet some kind of standard, not that you have to be a rocket scientist to meet it, but nonetheless it's there.

I didn't think about those third party bus drivers. They also bring them in for the big races.  That is an interesting bunch.

TCD

But aren't the third party buses and drivers usually get put on the Value Resort runs?  That's the only place I've ever seen them. (But then again I'm rarely there at super peak times)

That's usually the case Carol except at closing time at certain parks.

If it's super busy, outside buses get in line with the Disney buses and get their next run.

On a related subject, if people could see the precision and teamwork between the outside dispatcher, the inside coordinator, and the bus drivers, that takes place behind the scenes at closing time, especially at MK, they would be impressed. It still impresses me how smoothly it all goes and I'm part of it sometimes.

To people waiting, it just looks like buses randomly pull in, but behind the scenes, there is a chess game going on except that there are a dozen pieces being moved at the same time.

If you're the type of person that's interested in watching this nightly ballet from the inside, get on a MK bus just before closing, stay on, listen to the drivers radio, and observe.

I have ALWAYS said, especially after games, if Disney was running the traffic, everyone would be out of here so much sooner.  As much I like to complain, to my party, about how long buses take I know that they there is a ton of things going on.  Disney transportation is definitely one of the best out there.

That's usually the case Carol except at closing time at certain parks.

If it's super busy, outside buses get in line with the Disney buses and get their next run.

On a related subject, if people could see the precision and teamwork between the outside dispatcher, the inside coordinator, and the bus drivers, that takes place behind the scenes at closing time, especially at MK, they would be impressed. It still impresses me how smoothly it all goes and I'm part of it sometimes.

To people waiting, it just looks like buses randomly pull in, but behind the scenes, there is a chess game going on except that there are a dozen pieces being moved at the same time.

If you're the type of person that's interested in watching this nightly ballet from the inside, get on a MK bus just before closing, stay on, listen to the drivers radio, and observe.

I've heard a few of those conversations, maybe not by staying on, but enough in snippets over the years.

Another interesting radio conversation, is the 2:00  am get everybody back to their resort by any means conversations :)

I've heard a few of those conversations, maybe not by staying on, but enough in snippets over the years.

These particular radio transmissions only occur when the empting the park bus process has begun, about 30 minutes before the park closes. It's a one way conversation though. Drivers don't say anything. They just listen when they get to the front of the bus line.

The bus CM standing outside at the front of the bus line calls out the number of the first bus in line over the radio. A second person in the dispatch booth looks up the driver of that bus on the computer to check if the driver is due for a break or is going home. If they're not, that person says "good" over the radio. Then the roving dispatcher determines which bus stop gets the next bus and calls out the bus stop number and a computer code for the next driver. That whole process only takes about ten seconds, so it moves pretty quick. The drivers have to be on their toes when it's their turn.

Another interesting radio conversation, is the 2:00  am get everybody back to their resort by any means conversations 

Can't say that I'm familiar with that one.