Suggestions on other (nice) Florida campgrounds

This may be in the wrong place but with work so hectic this year and now money pretty tight due to my truck towing fiasco, we were looking for some other nice campgrounds in Florida for some quick weekend trips. IMHO Florida really sucks for camping except for the fort. We have experienced nice places but with the downfalls for us being "senior" friendly and not kids friendly, campgrounds with more permanent residents than campers or campgrounds that had more rednecks, gunshots and empty PBR cans that the family just can't Handel. It's amazing crossing the state line into Georgia and being able to experience such nice state parks. Any suggestions from the pros?

Have you tried the Jellystone park in Madison, Florida? It's not the Fort, but it is very kid and family oriented with lots of things to do. We usually make that one of our stops on the way to Disney World. We haven't stayed at any of the state parks in Florida, but many of our friends have and they give them high marks. It does seem like many of the parks in Florida are 50 plus communities.

I've tried many State Parks in Florida and could not complain.  Topsail, Grayton Beach, Henderson, Fort Pickens, Manatte Springs, Blackwater, St. Joesph, Alifia.  This in a nice campground that I stop at by in Appalachiacola.  It's in Panasea Fl and its called Holiday campground. http://www.holidaycampground.com/  It's not a state campground.  Fort Desota is nice too!  Maybe the state parks aren't nice enough for you, but I have found most to be very clean and natural Florida.  Have you looked on this site at

Pictures from other Campgrounds and

Camping To and From the Fort

There are so many campgrounds in Florida each catering to a specific crowd that it should be easy to find one that caters to young families.  Topsail Hill is the best in the state but it is a state park with a beach as its only attraction.  Tropical Palms just outside of the Disney World property on 192 is nice and has a pool and restaurant but it pails in comparision to the Fort itself.  KOAs tend to be family friendly with the exception of the one east of Orlando that has seasonals who stay a lifetime.  If you want to come south and explore South Florida may I suggest John Prince County Park in West Palm Beach and TY County Park, or CB Smith County Park in Broward County.  They are clean with large sites.  My favorite is Markham Park but it is a large park with a public firing range with the usual gunfire during the day.  It has a dog park an RC airfield, 100s of acres of open spaces and fishing at the edge of the everglades.  CB Smith has a water park but it is a separate charge and is packed on the weekends. 

Its a funny thing about campgrounds.  The very thing that makes them so attractive to one person might make it terrible to another.  I stayed at one on the Peace River in Arcadia that was very popular to those how like to ride ATV's but I thought it was like living in a lawnmower factory.  My son in law thinks the WDW is terrible because it is too perfect.  He's a great guy otherwise so I cut him some slack.  Besides he always losses the argument about where they taking my grandkids on vacation.  We will all be there again in October. 

Its a funny thing about campgrounds.  The very thing that makes them so attractive to one person might make it terrible to another.  I stayed at one on the Peace River in Arcadia that was very popular to those how like to ride ATV's but I thought it was like living in a lawnmower factory.  My son in law thinks the WDW is terrible because it is too perfect.  He's a great guy otherwise so I cut him some slack.  Besides he always losses the argument about where they taking my grandkids on vacation.  We will all be there again in October. 

I agree with you.  Many people like Ft. Desoto in St. Petersburg but I don't like it.  It can be a huge dust bowl, has tight spots, low limbs and more racoons than you can shake a stick at.  I am exicted to view these other state parks.  I guess I based a lot of state and county parks on Ft. Desoto.  I like to ride my ATV's also but would not take the family on a vacation to a spot where mudding and crushing beer cans on your head was considered relaxing.

What about St. Joseph Bay Peninsula SP? I think that would be closer. Our friends love it there.

I think that would be about 300 miles from where Starbuc71 lives.

Too far for a weekend camping trip.

The panhandle has awesome state parks.  Way nicer than anything in the west central Florida area.

The problem is, it's a long drive.

The Fort is only 80-90 miles.  That's why we always head that way.

TCD

I think that would be about 300 miles from where Starbuc71 lives.

Too far for a weekend camping trip.

The panhandle has awesome state parks.  Way nicer than anything in the west central Florida area.

The problem is, it's a long drive.

The Fort is only 80-90 miles.  That's why we always head that way.

TCD

Andrew, you are right. 400 miles for a weekend trip is too far. West central Florida is terrible in my opinion for camping unless you are over 60 and want to build a deck around your RV and put up a Rubbermaid shed...lol.

Well Texas is not much better when trying to find campgrounds for little kids. Other then our Yogi Bear in Waller which they just added a lazy river and a new mini golf. Plus it has several water slides. But I can't take my golf cart which drives me crazy. I can rent there's but it's $140 for 2 days.

Andrew, you are right. 400 miles for a weekend trip is too far. West central Florida is terrible in my opinion for camping unless you are over 60 and want to build a deck around your RV and put up a Rubbermaid shed...lol.

I think I resent that comment, we are over 60 and don't want to do that. We want a good CG just like you!!!!! 

I do agree it isn't easy to find a nice CG for a weekend trip. We are going to Silver Springs in Oct but it is a 3 hr trip and going for the weekend it tough because we work. So we get there 8pm and have to leave Sun at 11 not much of a weekend and a lot of gas for that. If you don't mind going 2/1///2 hrs there is an Elite Resort in Salt Springs that is very kid friendly and the sites are owned so it is well taken care of (as least the last time we were there).

We just stayed at Hillsbrough River State Park and it was very nice.

believe it or not Lazy Days during the summer has a lot for the kids to do.

I think I resent that comment, we are over 60 and don't want to do that. We want a good CG just like you!!!!! 

I do agree it isn't easy to find a nice CG for a weekend trip. We are going to Silver Springs in Oct but it is a 3 hr trip and going for the weekend it tough because we work. So we get there 8pm and have to leave Sun at 11 not much of a weekend and a lot of gas for that. If you don't mind going 2/1///2 hrs there is an Elite Resort in Salt Springs that is very kid friendly and the sites are owned so it is well taken care of (as least the last time we were there).

We just stayed at Hillsbrough River State Park and it was very nice.

believe it or not Lazy Days during the summer has a lot for the kids to do.

Lorna,

I appologize for the over 60 comment.  I guess I should have just stated the campgrounds with more permanat residents that are older than myself and that are not kid friendly.  I think that sounds better.  I work in senior living/ assisted living business so believe me, people over 60, 70, 80, 90 and even 100 are dear to me :)

It really didn't bother me just want to make sure that people realize that u are az old as u feel and some days I do feel old. Lol. After just having to deal with 2 assisted living facitities I give you a lot of credit it is not easy. I also thought of more cg Crystal River haz a few Encore And Rock Crusher. Homosassa also has 2 on the river. I think there is a park in Leesburg that has a water park set up in the summer