Am I confused or just slow?

Ahhhh, such fertile ground! LOL! I'll resist. First, the file you would have downloaded from Google is an installer program that sets up Google Earth to run on your computer. If you have not double-clicked on the downloaded file, do that first and follow the prompts. Once you have installed Google Earth, try just opening the program itself. You should get a window with a lot of tools around the outside and a globe in the middle, like this:

ge1.jpg

If you don't get a screen that looks a lot like that, then you need to contact Google's tech support. If you do get that screen, go to the File menu and choose Open. Find the Site Maps file that you downloaded and open it. Once it is open the left panel called Places should show an entry for Fort Wilderness. If it does, proceed with the tutorial in post #1. If not, then your downloaded .kmz file is probably corrupt and you should re-download. If that doesn't fix it try downloading the larger .kml file. If that doesn't do it I am at a loss. BTW, if it opened from inside the program but won't when you double-click it on the desktop suggests that your file-type associations are not set correctly, but since you'll only have to open it once it's not a big concern.

ShantaClausSm.png

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...