http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-11/disney-says-wristband-boosts-sales-in-disney-world-test.html?cmpid=yhoo

Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test
By Christopher Palmeri - Jul 12, 2013 12:01 AM ET

Electronic wristbands tested at Walt Disney Co. (DIS)’s Florida resort succeeded in boosting spending by guests, parks division Chairman Thomas Staggs said.

The bands serve as admission tickets, hotel room keys and credit cards. They were tested by 1,000 people at Walt Disney World in Florida, Staggs said in an interview at Allen & Co.’s annual conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, without offering details. Guests spent more on average in part because they had fun with the technology, he said.

Disney, the world’s largest theme-park operator, plans additional trials of the technology, called MyMagic+, before expanding throughout Walt Disney World by year-end, Staggs said. The wristbands help with crowd control, reducing the time guest spend in lines by allowing them to book rides and restaurants in advance. They can also schedule special meet-and-greets with characters like Goofy.

“We’re still in test mode,” Staggs said. “It takes some time to get it all rolled out.”

The wristbands link to a customer database, allowing guests to purchase items in Disney World’s hotels, four theme parks and water parks by waving the devices past a sensor. The radio technology speeds transactions, helping customers make their trips more efficient.

Disney will also use MyMagic+ to offer special promotions and activities that may interest customers.

MyMagic+ builds on Disney’s current Fast Pass program, which allows guests to schedule attractions during one-hour windows, once they are already in the park.

“It allows them to have a prearranged schedule before they start their day so it’s actually an enhanced Fast Pass,” Staggs said. “Fast Pass is getting better.”

Disney, based in BurbankCalifornia, added 2.6 percent to $66.58 yesterday in New York. The shares have advanced 34 percent this year, double the 17 percent gain for the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index.

I can't tell you how much it bothers me when these financial gurus claim that a very limited and controlled test confirms something.

For crying out loud, it was just a thousand people who were staying in the Deluxe resorts.  Of course it worked great for them and they spent a little extra money.

But how does that kind of test translate to opening this up to all resort guests?

These "tests" seem to be nothing more than carefully planned events designed to prove the benefits of the system- not actually test how it will work when rolled out to the masses.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I really think this thing is going to be a massive failure of unprecedented proportions

TCD

They say they tested it on 1,000 people, but they rounded up.  It was actually 666 people. 

Coincidentally, after announcing the results of the test, Disney's stock was trading at $66.60. 

But the test was wildly successful, according to Parks Division Chairman Damien Staggs. 

Hmmm.

This explains that satanic "mermaid" with two tails they have hanging outside of the new Main Street Starbucks, which, coincidentally, opened at 6:00 am on June 6.

TCD

Here's what I'm wonder though.... did it really increase spending? Are people so dumb that they'd buy something just so they could tap their wrist? OR, maybe instead of digging cash out of their pocket for a round of sodas, they just tapped. Before, the cash couldn't be traced back to the guest, but the tapping can. Maybe it didn't increase spending, it just increased spending put on the room account.

After spending nearly 35 years in marketing/marketing research, I can't imagine how they could have possibly made their conclusions.

Years ago there was a book How to Lie with Statistics.  Maybe Disney's researchers are familiar with it.

Good one, Gwen.

I believe that it was Lou who said this project is too big to fail.  They've plowed over a billion dollars into it.  You can be darned sure that the folks who spent that money are going to be looking for favorable test results.

You don't have to use it.

Classic.

That will be the company's response.  You don't like it, don't come.

That kind of arrogance will be their downfall.  They have gotten away with it for so long, they now believe that their customer base will put up with anything. 

We shall see.

TCD

You don't have to use it.

I understand I don't have to use it.

But it is replacing something that I like; the current fastpass system.

It's not as if this is an opt in program but you can still use the old system if you wish.

I truly believe standby lines will be longer as a direct result of fastpass plus as well.

But it is replacing something that I like; the current fastpass system.

It's not as if this is an opt in program but you can still use the old system if you wish.

I truly believe standby lines will be longer as a direct result of fastpass plus as well.

You're making an assumption that it won't be as good as the current system, why can't it be as good or better?

I believe Disney will make it work.

I still want mine ...in all it's spiffy packaging glory.

That's the attitude. 

I believe Disney will make it work. 

Too big to fail.

It will "work" in the sense that they will make money from it from those who can afford to pay more for the benefits.  This success will come at the expense of the guests with less disposable income.  Nothing wrong with that, it's called capitalism.  Doesn't mean we have to like it though.

TCD

I admit I haven't paid as much attention to this as some and don't know a lot about the details of this system...but am I to understand that, once fully operative, you will be able to pay for upgrades when planning your trip?  Things like better seating at shows, better character greeting times, shorter attraction lines, etc?  Will it create a separate class of guest like the Universal system has? 

Can you give away FastPass Plusses if you decide you can't use them? 

Nope.

Can you show up at rope drop and ride standby on TSM, EE, RNRC, SM, SM, BTMRR and also get a FP+ to ride again afterward?

Nope.  Unless you know 180 days ahead of time which park you will be at on a given day.

We usally know where we will be the first couple days, but after that, we let the kids pick the park we will go to many times.

No way are there going to be FPPs left for any of the big rides that you would need them for at that point.

We'll be in luck though, because I am sure there will be plenty of FPPs left for Captain Eo, Muppets, and Philharmagic.

I admit I haven't paid as much attention to this as some and don't know a lot about the details of this system...but am I to understand that, once fully operative, you will be able to pay for upgrades when planning your trip?  Things like better seating at shows, better character greeting times, shorter attraction lines, etc?  Will it create a separate class of guest like the Universal system has? 

There has been no mention of paying for any of that.

Supposedly, all guests will be on a level playing field and will be able to avail themselves of all the wonderful benefits equally.  Even the poor schmuck staying down the street at Motel 6- he's going to have the same crack at all of this as Chauncy at the Grand Floridian.

I'm sure charging for upgrades has never even crossed the Disney beancounters' minds.  ;)

TCD

If I am wrong, I will eat crow right here on this website.

Granted it won't be me.

It will be a smiley eating crow, but you'll get the point.

No, no, no, I want to see YOU actually eat crow, and no, I'm not betting you.

I'm simply pointing out Disney's position that they will do whatever it takes to make it work. It may take longer, it might take more money, it will be modified, and it may not be to your liking, but there will be a system in place that utilizes RFID technology to perform the functions that have been outlined. Failure is not an option, way too much at stake.