Where to Take Grandchildren to Dinner?

During our November trip our son, DDIL, and their four children will join us for a week.  We would like to take them out to dinner one time.  The kids will be 7, 5, 3, and 2.

Doesn't have to be fancy, but we would like it to be somewhere that the kids could be entertained long enough that we can take the time to enjoy our meal.  The two older ones do have a little patience, but the other two, especially the red-headed 2 year old, have none.  

Possibilities I've come up with so far are:

Whispering Canyon

Chef Mickey's

50s Prime Time

Crystal Palace

Any thoughts/ideas?

My friend Joyce went to WDW with her grandkids and went to several of the character meals. She liked the Princess meal at Norway because the princesses took time with each of the kids. Her grandson (6 years old) liked it, too. He was Cinderella's protector. She also liked the character meal at Momma Rosa's at Hollywood Studios. It was different interaction since Handy Manny and crew don't talk. The kids still had a really good time. These recommendations aren't based on the food; but, on the character interaction and the "fun factor".

She wouldn't recommend the Animal Kingdom breakfast.

50's Prime Time Diner would be fun for a non-character meal. How about the Sci-Fi Drive in Theater? It's at Hollywood Studios also. I like their lunch menu best. It's different and the movies will keep the little one occupied.

If you want the adults to enjoy their meal, skip Chef Mickey's.  Between going to the buffet for yourself and the kids, and getting up to take pictures every time a character comes by, it's as if you have a spring in your butt.  Same with Crystal Palace to some extent. 

Whispering Canyon might be fun.  50's PTC is one of my favorites, and the kids enjoy the interaction with the servers.  But the youngest ones wouldn't necessarily "get it". 

What about Ohana?  The kids get to do the dancing part, and there is enough going on around the restaurant for them to watch.  But you aren't getting up and down much, so the adults can visit and enjoy the meal better.  Pricey, though. 

Finally....my best recommendation if you can get a reservation.....my FAVE restaurant now at WDW.  BOG.  The kids love it, there is so much to see around the restaurant.  The meal is fantastic, and not terribly priced compared to the character meals and some of the other table service ones.  The adults can interact and enjoy dinner.  Hard to get an ADR, but so worth it. 

If the young one is easily scared I wouldn't recommend SciFi, some of the clips are from old monster/giant bug movies.  I enjoy it, funny and campy, but, might be scary for little ones.  Also, the adults wouldn't be able to converse as you are seated in cars, in rows of 2 each, so an adult would have to be with each kid.

If the young one is easily scared I wouldn't recommend SciFi, some of the clips are from old monster/giant bug movies. I enjoy it, funny and campy, but, might be scary for little ones. Also, the adults wouldn't be able to converse as you are seated in cars, in rows of 2 each, so an adult would have to be with each kid.

Totally agree with this.

Love Sci Fi, haven't taken my kids yet because the younger one scares easily - especially in the dark.  I agree that the adults wouldn't get to converse much.  I would vote for Whispering Canyon.  My kids love it as much as we do.  Another option IF you like German food and plan to be in Epcot would be Biergarten.  They do have "regular" foods as well.   The music could be entertaining and kids are often allowed to come up and dance.  It is a buffet so little ones don't have to wait for food, but is calmer than some others.  I would recommend going at lunch - cheaper and more time to walk off the huge meal.

She also liked the character meal at Momma Rosa's at Hollywood Studios. It was different interaction since Handy Manny and crew don't talk. They kids still had a really good time. These recommendations aren't based on the food; but, on the character interaction and the "fun factor".

Just to clarify, this character meal is actually at Hollywood and Vine

Thank you all for your input!

Based on your comments, I'm deleting character buffets from my list.  I want this meal to be enjoyable for the parents, too, and buffets with 4 kids can be trying.  4 adults, 4 kids.  But these 4 kids with their big personalities could just as easily be 6 or 8 "average" kids.

Hollywood and Vine -- they don't have cable TV, so I'm not sure if they would even know who those characters are.

Princess meal at Norway -- I'm a low carber, so it would be more difficult for me to eat there.

Sci Fi - think it would be a bit scary for the little one, and we would really like more adult interaction.

I had thought about BOG but questioned if it would hold the kids' interest.  Would love to hear from parents who took their small children there.

Ohana -- DH refuses to go there.  Says he heard something about food safety issues.

Biergarten -- I initially thought this would be a good location, but DH nixed it.  DramaMama suggested it, so I'm putting it back on my list.

So my list is now:

Whispering Canyon -- the only restaurant on the list that we've never visited.  Really need more input on it!

50s Prime Time -- I love eating here and having the sugar free cheesecake.  The young ones would be entertained by all the sights and sounds.

BOG -- Love the food but not sure how the kids would react.  West wing/east wing -- which one is the dark room?  A bit too scary for the little one?

Biergarten -- I can so see the older ones loving the music and the dancing.  Not sure about the little ones.

All help is greatly appreciated!

As you know, I dine with teens and young kids.  I can tell you that all ages enjoyed Biergarten.  The little ones can get on stage and dance....well, they all can for that matter.  But no one is left out.  Consider this.  It is, of course, a buffet.  So might be difficult for the parents to get plates for the little ones.  But they do have a section of the buffet with kid food....pizza, mac n cheese, IIRC. 

BOG was awesome for the little ones.  Now, I don't have a 2 year old anymore,  but in some ways Anna is like having a toddler.  She enjoyed it there.  We were in the West Wing (the smaller, darker room) which was really cool.  There is the portrait of the Beast which does some magical stuff, and the rose is in there too.  There is thunder and lightening which could scare the little ones, but it's nothing too loud or anything.  I think they would all enjoy this restaurant. 

Thank you all for your input!

Based on your comments, I'm deleting character buffets from my list.  I want this meal to be enjoyable for the parents, too, and buffets with 4 kids can be trying.  4 adults, 4 kids.  But these 4 kids with their big personalities could just as easily be 6 or 8 "average" kids.

Hollywood and Vine -- they don't have cable TV, so I'm not sure if they would even know who those characters are.

Princess meal at Norway -- I'm a low carber, so it would be more difficult for me to eat there.

Sci Fi - think it would be a bit scary for the little one, and we would really like more adult interaction.

I had thought about BOG but questioned if it would hold the kids' interest.  Would love to hear from parents who took their small children there.

Ohana -- DH refuses to go there.  Says he heard something about food safety issues.

Biergarten -- I initially thought this would be a good location, but DH nixed it.  DramaMama suggested it, so I'm putting it back on my list.

So my list is now:

Whispering Canyon -- the only restaurant on the list that we've never visited.  Really need more input on it!

50s Prime Time -- I love eating here and having the sugar free cheesecake.  The young ones would be entertained by all the sights and sounds.

BOG -- Love the food but not sure how the kids would react.  West wing/east wing -- which one is the dark room?  A bit too scary for the little one?

Biergarten -- I can so see the older ones loving the music and the dancing.  Not sure about the little ones.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Whispering Canyon- We have been many times. If you get a good waitperson it can be a great time. Otherwise its a meal. A good meal but fairly standard.

One time when we were there I had run out of water. Our waitress was funny and having a good time so I deliberatly slurped my empty glass when she was near by and she gave me a look and said "you did not just slurp that straw" She then proceeded to move me to the corner by the Fireplace and informed me I could not come out until Silvia said it was ok. After a few minutes Sil finally said I could come out of time out.

After I sat back down the waitress showed up with a 1 liter? Mason Jar and a handful of straws and said let's see you empty that one. I stuck a bunch of straws together and leaned back in my chair and started drinking. To be fair I was also putting on a show here for the table next to us with little kids. They were cracking up laughing. 

If you get a good waitperson, play along and have a good time. 

BOG- West Wing is the dark one. 

Jason, that is so funny!  If we decide to go there hopefully we will have a great waitperson!  I can so imagine the kids getting into this, especially seeing an adult put into time out!

So I'm modifying my list again:

Whispering Canyon -- the only restaurant on the list that we've never visited.  Jason provided great input.

BOG -- Love the food but not sure how the kids would react.  East wing or main ballroom only.

Jason, that is so funny!  If we decide to go there hopefully we will have a great waitperson!  I can so imagine the kids getting into this, especially seeing an adult put into time out!

So I'm modifying my list again:

Whispering Canyon -- the only restaurant on the list that we've never visited.  Jason provided great input.

BOG -- Love the food but not sure how the kids would react.  East wing or main ballroom only.

For BOG, it is probably way too late to get reservations.  Especially for a party of 8.  Those have to be made 180 days out at 6am

You can find lots of info about Whispering Canyon's atmosphere.  Like Jason said, it is more fun when you play along.  We have been as a couple, with  our kids, and in a bigger group, too.  All of our servers have been great.  If you are willing to join in on the act they actually go a little easier on you.  We never eat ketchup so we haven't gotten that attention.  My DH did get the huge mason jar one morning for breakfast because he slurped down his diet soda so quickly.  (Of course we both got chided for having soda for breakfast).  When my youngest son turned 3 they brought him a big cupcake and then ate it in from of him.  They immediately brought him another, though, as is their style. 

The last time we ate there it was near the end of the lunch serving time.  Our waitress started out kinda crusty, but when we happily joined in, she became like a grandma and was so sweet to all of us.  She even sat down and visited a while getting to know us.  It is a little pricey, and the food ranges from good to really good, but the atmosphere is so family friendly.  I don't worry about my noisy boys bothering anybody.  Always a good time for us.  We also love wandering around the resort gift shop and grounds a bit after we finish before boarding the boat back to the Fort.

Well, I did it.  I made my first-ever ADR from home.  The furthest out I've ever made an ADR is 2-3 days!

We're having dinner at Whispering Canyon.  If any of you have ideas about how we can make this meal more fun for the kids, I've love to hear them!  And BTW, we're a loud, boisterous crew.  There's not a shy kid in the bunch.