We went to Canada! (and not the one in EPCOT!)

After the Maid of the Mist we made a pressed coin. Which, I hope you are all sitting down for this, they are cheaper in Disney World! A pressed penny in Niagara Falls was a $1, Disney is only .51! Whoever thought Disney would be cheaper?!?

We took the trolley over to Goat Island, it was $2 a person and you can ride all day (Adam was free). Actually, a lot of stuff because he was under 5 he was free, which was nice. Goat Island (there are no goats!) is where Cave of the Winds is located.

IMG_3837.jpg

Please ignore the back of Brian's big old head :)

IMG_3840.jpg

Cave of the winds you get another poncho (yellow) and a plastic bag (cheap grocery store type) to put your shoes in so you can wear these hot little things :)

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

They used to have some funky burlap type boogie things but now you get your very own sandals!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is definitely a correlation.  Wouldn't have it any other way - we Canadians are very happy with our Universal Health Care!     Niagara Falls is more expensive than average because of the tourism

After getting our sandals on, they take your picture before you get in the elevator to go down. This was another thing that had no wait. The elevator was hot, which was yucky because there are lots of people not from this land there. Plus I hate elevators, so the combo was not good. I have huge issues with my personal space being invaded (even more so that I'm pregnant) so I was not thrilled. Once we got off we were given our next poncho and were free to walk along the decks by Bridal veil falls. You are able to spend as long as want walking and getting soaked. There is a spot called the Hurricane Deck where it is the closest to the falls and you really get whacked. My MiL had her glasses on her shirt and ended up losing them. She had to wear her sunglasses the rest of the trip because she didn't bring a back up pair. She is lucky we had a sunny trip!

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

Brian has his poncho on and this is how soaked he got.

IMG_3851.jpg

Adam LOVED the hurricane deck, which meant we spent a lot of time there and were all soaked.

After Cave of the Winds we took the trolley pack to where our car was parked and changed Adam into dry clothes (somehow he ended up more soaked than the rest of us). It was about 6 and as much as we wanted to check out the aquarium, we were hungry and tired and still needed to cross the border and check into our hotel. It took us a little over an hour to cross the border, it was really backed up. Some poor person had their car overheat while on the bridge and it was getting pushed across.

We were staying at the Embassy Suites, with a view of both falls (you could pick city view, view of American Falls or view of both) . You had 2 choices for parking full valet for $35 a day or using a shuttle to get to your car for $25 a day. We opted for the full valet, for $10 more I'd rather not mess around with a shuttle.

Our room was on the 28th floor, and I have to upload more pictures to photobucket before I can continue!

Wow. I just watched a couple of YouTube videos of the Maid of the Mist. It's hard to imagine that much water flowing over the falls all day every day. And such raw power.

I forget the actual amount but they aren't flowing at full force either and at night (I'm assuming while people are sleeping) they let even less go over.

How do they contain the flow?

a HUGE portion of the flow is diverted through tunnels on both sides of the border for hydroelectric generation.  Water enters the tunnels in the upper river, travels to reservoirs, and then powers turbines at the hydro plants as it is released into the lower river in the gorge.   

Here is a crude map I made showing where this is all located on the American side, which is to the right hand side (east) of the river.  The river flows toward the north where it empties into Lake Ontario.  The tunnels run underneath the City of Niagara Falls. 

NiagaraFalls.jpg

No hydroelectric generation from the actual falls?

Not really anymore, as far as I know, but you can see the old power plants along the gorge at the base of the falls, especially on the Canadian side.  There was an old power plant to the left of the American falls that collapsed into the gorge back in the 50's or 60's.  One person killed but most workers got out before it went. 

Great diagram Dave!

Once in a great long while they shut one side of the fall, or the other side, completely off so they can examine the rock faces.

I didn't see it, but the US side was last shut down in the late 1960's - they diverted the water flow to the Canadian side.

Must have been quite a sight! 

I remember walking on the dry river bed when it was dammed up in the '60's. I don't recall it being a regular thing, though. They had to build something called a cofferdam to do it, and it is no easy feat of engineering to close off something like the Niagara River. There is another cave of the winds on the Canadian side that will actually take you behind the falls through a tunnel where there are openings behind the falls itself. Shows you the backside of water.

My first assignment in the Army was as a supply officer for a general hospital unit in Niagara Falls. I could see the mist from the falls everyday at work, and had the opportunity to fly over the falls in an Army helicopter. Living nearby, you tend to take these things for granted.

This is a picture of the American Falls when it was "shut off" in 1969.

Nia1.jpg

Sorry, Beckers. We've taken over your trip report with NF hijacks! LOL.

That's awesome Dave!! I like hearing the more technical info on it, we didn't get much of that while we were there. More of give us your money and see the pretty water!

I remember walking on the dry river bed when it was dammed up in the '60's. I don't recall it being a regular thing, though. They had to build something called a cofferdam to do it, and it is no easy feat of engineering to close off something like the Niagara River. There is another cave of the winds on the Canadian side that will actually take you behind the falls through a tunnel where there are openings behind the falls itself. Shows you the backside of water.

My first assignment in the Army was as a supply officer for a general hospital unit in Niagara Falls. I could see the mist from the falls everyday at work, and had the opportunity to fly over the falls in an Army helicopter. Living nearby, you tend to take these things for granted.

You always have the most interesting stories!! That must have been awesome to walk the dry riverbed!

We didn't do Journey Behind the Falls, I figured we have seen the backside of water in Disney, so it is probably the same here lol.

Sorry I got so behind! I'm loving the pictures. This would definitely be a trip Jason and I would love.

Enjoyed the sign pics too!

I guess we'd have to fly because that'd be quite a drive. But it reminds me that although we often talk about exploring the West, there's a lot of the East we still haven't seen.

I found some photos on my phone, I'm just going to add them here instead of going back. 

From the Maid of the Mist. I risked getting my phone wet since it's in an Otter Box, I figured it would be okay.

5F4655C7-6F3F-48F1-A170-96685DA55206-106

Waiting to cross the Rainbow Bridge. I forgot we had to pay a toll of $3.25. Which is a bargain, because all but 2 bridges going into Philly  from NJ are $5.

1A3B35EE-C958-4498-8CF8-B04FFCF597F3-106

View from our room.  I like how you can see the shadow of the hotel.

AA2D117E-FC9D-40BB-A288-A959180D0C39-106

Our white trash beverage cooler :) We had a fridge, but 1/2 of it was a mini  bar, so we didn't have enough room for our drinks in there. Since our room had 2 bathroom sinks, and  a wet bar, this was how we kept our drinks cold. 

8F6B2D55-513C-4FF9-A26F-15BC7AA88567-106

Ignore the mess, but I wanted to show the size of the windows. The screen that is sitting against the wall is from the lower right window. You were able to open it out about 4-6 inches but it had a screen. The screen really messed up the view when you were looking out, but it was great  to be able to hear the falls. There was a fireplace to the left, and the 2 nice chairs were normally in front of the window.The 2 wooden ones were from the front room where there was a table for 4. 

80AE3559-B030-4153-B7EC-549E096D9324-106

Breakfast.

F288143D-1B1A-485A-96E4-1F898AA6D406-106