I think I should have posted this here since I have so many questions! Sorry!!! can I delete my intro or should I leave it?

Repost:

I just stumbled across your board last night (well early this morning during an insomnia bout buuuuuuut anywho...) when I googled what happens at the Fort during a Hurricane. First I have to say this board is AWESOME!  :)

So about me/us: We are a mid to late 30s (UGH) couple with a 3 year old CRAZY toddler boy. We currently live in Maryland but are in the process of scaling the house down to only the necessities so we can move to Florida on a more perm basis. My hubs works from home, so we can pretty much go where we want and since we are Disney fanatics we of course want to move near the park.  :)

Our original plan has us selling the house up here and then staying in a apartment while we stuffed money away and took some time to find the house we REALLY wanted to spend the next 15 to 20 (or more) years in.  We were trying to make sure the apartments were close to Disney, had a pool, playground, activities, stuff within walking distance and were in a good neighborhood. all of this made the apartments not cheap but worth it to us. BUT then I found out that the Forts monthly cost plus the cost of a "cheap" RV came out to the same or less then some apartments we were looking at. And at the end instead of having paid a bunch of money to an apartment building and having nothing to show for it...we have an RV that is ours! 

We do have pets. We have a foster dog we are desperately trying to find a home for and my dad will probably keep our dog until we settle (more motivation to get a place quick!) but I think we may have to bring the cats. So any hints on pets at the site would be great. The cats HATE the outdoors and will not go near an open door so they definitely are not the type to get out.

Our plan is to get all the information, good bad and ugly about staying on property for 3 to 6 months at the MOST (I cannot be in something that small forever!!!) I have read that we need to make several reservations with a 30 day max each to do this and that if we ask for the same size pad we may not have to move which would be awesome if we could make that happen. We do NOT have a trailer/RV yet so some advice on that would be good as well. We are currently looking at a fifth wheel...It has a room for us and a bunk room that can be my sons so at least we have separate spaces.

*Edit* - Golf Carts! must have??? Buy used or rent if we are staying for a bit??

Ok I think my wall of text is big enough...LOL Nice to "meet" you guys!!!

Welcome to the boards.  We don't full-time with our travel trailer but I have threatened to numerous times.  If you haven't purchased your 5th wheel yet might I suggest that you also check out the Windjammer line of travel trailers from Forest River.  They are a "light TT" line and are on a torsion flex chassis so towing them over a trailer with leaf springs is soooo much nicer.  They also have models with separate bunk rooms for your son.  Just a suggestion. 

Welcome to the boards.  We don't full-time with our travel trailer but I have threatened to numerous times.  If you haven't purchased your 5th wheel yet might I suggest that you also check out the Windjammer line of travel trailers from Forest River.  They are a "light TT" line and are on a torsion flex chassis so towing them over a trailer with leaf springs is soooo much nicer.  They also have models with separate bunk rooms for your son.  Just a suggestion. 

welcome-2.jpg

We have been fortunate enough to spend 3 months straight at the FORT and yes you need to make back to back 30 day reservations and if you have them all linked it is very, very doubtful that you would have to move.

Hope to see you there.

First of all welcome!!

1.  We had Motor Homes for years but recently went w/ a FW Toy Hauler.  We love it.  It is easier to tow than a Travel Trailer, it has a 1/2 bath in the garage and queen bunks. This would provide your son with his own "room" and allow you to bring you golf cart and other items, like a Big grill, with you.  We picked up an inexpensive area rug which turns the garage into a room.  Most have T.V. outlet already back there.

2.  Strongly recommend a golf cart for any type of extended stay at the Fort.  I suggest you contact Matt or Richie Aaron , fellow Fiends, at Sun City Golf Carts.  They advertise on this site.  For the long run, if it is in the budget, buying a cart is the way to go.

Our main concern is going to be power. How often do the sites lose power? Can you have generators of any kind in the Fort?

We have never lost power and as I said earlier we spend 90 days straight at least once a year. Also I have never seen any generator restrictions, but I'm sure if the power was out for an extended length of time they would not prohibit you from using it. With the majority of the power lines underground that really helps eliminate outages.

Also awesome to hear. Hubs would be working as much as he can there during the day so he needs power and internet. We of course would be taking one for the team and spending the day outside, at the pools, Disney, Sea World in good weather. Such a shame I know.....lol

Somebody is gonna do it.  It may as well be you.   :)

OK, internet.  Here is the deal on Fort Wilderness internet.  There is NO WIFI at the campsites.  The internet they provide is by checking out a cable modem kit.  This involves a $175 deposit on your CC which is refunded when you return the kit.  There is no daily charge for the internet after that.  It is hard wired internet, so if you want to be mobile around your campsite, bring your own router.

Oh, and WELCOME!!!!

Welcome to the site......

we have a few people who have full-timed in a RV and at least one who has lived long-term at the Fort.

Hopefully they will be along to give you the pros and cons of those arrangements.

Has someone actually been there since 2009? or is that a Fort legend?

WELCOME!!!!

That plan sounds so fun!

I suggest looking at slightly used TT and 5ers. That way you don't take a big hit on the value. I think I'd buy a used cart from Matt and Rich. If you don't need it or want it when you find your house, you can sell it.

WELCOME!!!!

That plan sounds so fun!

I suggest looking at slightly used TT and 5ers. That way you don't take a big hit on the value. I think I'd buy a used cart from Matt and Rich. If you don't need it or want it when you find your house, you can sell it.

Great idea on the used cart! We aren't sure we will keep the RV/trailer after but we want to make sure we get a decent one for our future family. We plan to adopt again...at least one more time so we want space for 4 just in case.

One thing we are noticing is that what we like, especially for a medium to long term use at least one go round is NOT something my 2011 Honda Pilot can pull. I have read that some people rent trailers and have it delivered right to the site. Could we buy local and have the same done? are there places we could rent a vehicle to pull it out of there if we had to leave? My father in law could easily set us up and take us out. The only time we would need to move really is if we had to evacuate ( and it doesn't sound like that happens often), if for whatever reason we couldn't get a reservation OR we were moving into our new home. Hubby thinks we could trade my truck in but I REALLY do not want to do that. It was a mothers day gift from him and I am really attached to her.

Sounds like you have an ideal life setup planned.  My DW would like to live on Main Street, but has not found a way to do that yet....yes, YET,  :rofl3:  We use Verizon MiFi for internet connectivity at the Fort.  It has served us well, but we are not dependent on such connectivity, so a minor dropout occasionally is only a nuisance for us.  (It happens with our wireless router here at home too.)  The Fort has pretty good cable TV, but some would dispute that point, so you may want to investigate satellite if you are a big TV watcher.  We've camped there on and off for about 15 years and never had a power outage...just two occasions where the outlet was broken/damaged and had to be replaced for our stay.  They have on a few occasions had to evacuate the Fort for Hurricane/Tropical Storm dangers, but they offer accomodations in other resorts when needed.  This is a rare occurance and would usually be in late summer.   There are also usually some Fiends at the Fort who can offer help if needed for any problem that might arise.  Many campers bring along a crock pot which comes in handy, especially if you use the liners to minimize cleanup.  There are trash can every near every few sites, so trash disposal is no problem.  There is a laundry in most loops with men's and women's comfort stations.  Beware of Lou, the degenerate bus driver who prowls sites for apple pies.  In a pinch he can also be a useful friend.  :heartsmiley:   

Enjoy your stay and continue to make the rest of us envious.  :wave1:

We once brought a 5th wheel and didn't have anything to tow it with. The company we got it from brought it to where we were staying and set it. If you want a used cart Matt can get you set up and then sell it for you when you are ready to sell it. He is one of the sponsors of this site. His info should be on the cart page. If not pm me and I will get it to you. My DH also has a friend down here who sells used units, he gets some good deals, so call the shop and ask for Rich if you are interested and he can hook you up.