Interesting blog about how FP+ has created a loophole with current FP system

I am sorry to report that this loophole has already been closed.

When I took a day trip with Twin #1 back in July, I inserted Twin #2's pass in a FP machine to see what would happen.  Twin #2 was not with us, and her pass had not been used to enter the park. The FP machine issued a FP.

Yesterday, we visited DHS, and Twin #1 was running late, so I tried to use her pass to get a FP.  The machine gave me one of those no good FP's and it said on it that the pass had not been scanned at park entry.

That was a short lived loophole.

TCD

I am sorry to report that this loophole has already been closed.

When I took a day trip with Twin #1 back in July, I inserted Twin #2's pass in a FP machine to see what would happen.  Twin #2 was not with us, and her pass had not been used to enter the park. The FP machine issued a FP.

Yesterday, we visited DHS, and Twin #1 was running late, so I tried to use her pass to get a FP.  The machine gave me one of those no good FP's and it said on it that the pass had not been scanned at park entry.

That was a short lived loophole.

TCD

The "loophole" they are talking about is for those who have the magic bands for the test. They are advised not to collect legacy FPs during the test, but do not enforce it.

This is how and why the testers are able to get legacy FPs in addition to the FP+s, and obviously the blog author does not know a dang thing about how the MyMagic+ system works and is spreading bad info.

The tickets used to enter the park are linked to the guests mydisneyexperience account. The MBs and KTTWC are also linked to this account. Guests, during the test period, are given both a MB and KTTWC as a back up that functions just like the MB does (its your key, park ticket, charge card, etc) just like the current KTTWC.

When the MB is used to enter the park, it just marks the ticket on the mydisneyexperience account as used for the day. So the KTTWC is marked as used for park entry too. Thus, it can be used in legacy FP machines as well. 

Once the system goes fully live, the legacy FPs will be discontinued and this "loophole" will no longer be an issue.  

The "loophole" they are talking about is for those who have the magic bands for the test. They are advised not to collect legacy FPs during the test, but do not enforce it.

This is how and why the testers are able to get legacy FPs in addition to the FP+s, and obviously the blog author does not know a dang thing about how the MyMagic+ system works and is spreading bad info.

The tickets used to enter the park are linked to the guests mydisneyexperience account. The MBs and KTTWC are also linked to this account. Guests, during the test period, are given both a MB and KTTWC as a back up that functions just like the MB does (its your key, park ticket, charge card, etc) just like the current KTTWC.

When the MB is used to enter the park, it just marks the ticket on the mydisneyexperience account as used for the day. So the KTTWC is marked as used for park entry too. Thus, it can be used in legacy FP machines as well. 

Once the system goes fully live, the legacy FPs will be discontinued and this "loophole" will no longer be an issue.  

But, I was not participating in the test, and was able to use a pass that had not been scanned to enter the park that day to receive a FP.

TCD

But, I was not participating in the test, and was able to use a pass that had not been scanned to enter the park that day to receive a FP.

TCD

That's a touch and go issue. Sometimes you can do it, sometimes you cant. Depends on the day, time of day, park, attraction, moon phase, you get the idea. It is supposed to not allow a FP unless the ticket was used to enter the park, but it doesn't always work. The issue you are talking about has been like that since FP machines have been around. You could probably try again tomorrow and get a different result as well.

We just tested the system at Studios the other day. We had our FP+ selections, plus we could get legacy FPs with our KTTWC, plus we could get FPs with our CM ID. Our Maingates did not work as they were not used for park entry. But had we used them, we could get FPs with our Maingate as well.

As an AP holder, you can participate in the FP+ side of the system if you want. Simply create an account with the mydisneyexperience system and link your AP to it. It can be done one of two simple ways. If using the website, click on link tickets and enter the number on the back of your AP. It should come up as an AP and allow you to make FP+ reservations. If using the phone app, click on tickets and then link existing pass and scan the code on the pass or enter the number. You can always unlink the pass later if you want.

As an AP holder, you can participate in the FP+ side of the system if you want. Simply create an account with the mydisneyexperience system and link your AP to it. It can be done one of two simple ways. If using the website, click on link tickets and enter the number on the back of your AP. It should come up as an AP and allow you to make FP+ reservations. If using the phone app, click on tickets and then link existing pass and scan the code on the pass or enter the number. You can always unlink the pass later if you want.

Do you mean I can do this now?

Nice of Disney to let me know.

TCD

So, how many FP's do they give to AP holders per day?

I'm up for giving it a try, but will I loose the ability to get regular FP's forever if I do?

TCD

The FP you get with APs are legacy FP so it goes by the old rules no more than 2 at a time but the total number is not limited.  You can get more as you use the ones you already have.  My biggest gripe about FP+ is you only get 3 / 4 no matter what.

The FP you get with APs are legacy FP so it goes by the old rules no more than 2 at a time but the total number is not limited.  You can get more as you use the ones you already have.  My biggest gripe about FP+ is you only get 3 / 4 no matter what.

So, if I have a Magic Band tied to my FP, I don't schedule my FP's ahead of time?  How do I get paper (legacy) FP's with a Magic Band?

TCD

So, if I have a Magic Band tied to my FP, I don't schedule my FP's ahead of time?  How do I get paper (legacy) FP's with a Magic Band?

TCD

Yes if you tie your passes to your MB then you can schedule FP+ you cant get LFP with MB. you have to use your pass cards like always before MB & FP+ so if you bring both into the parks you can use the MB for the FP+ and use your ticket media to make LFP.  but somewhere down the road LFP will just be no more. 

If you link your AP to your mydisneyexperience account you are eligible for FP+.

TCD

Currently, if you link your AP to your account you are eligible for FP+. Now, the loophole will work for you until they either close it or discontinue legacy FPs. So you could get your 3 FP+s and then use your AP card to get legacy FPs just like normal.

You don't.  It is one or the other.  Once you have the band, it has to be the plus.  If I have understood what has been written.

Yes, it is supposed to be either or, but the MB is not what determines if you get FP+ or not. Its your mydisneyexperience  account that does. The MB is just a glorified KTTWC or AP. As long as you have the RF chip AP, it will function just like the MB. You just don't wear it on your wrist.

Yes if you tie your passes to your MB then you can schedule FP+ you cant get LFP with MB. you have to use your pass cards like always before MB & FP+ so if you bring both into the parks you can use the MB for the FP+ and use your ticket media to make LFP.  but somewhere down the road LFP will just be no more. 

Partially true. The MB is just a device used to access your account, just like any other RF enabled medium (KTTWC). So an RF enabled card linked to your account will be the same as a MB. The MB is not what enables FP+ for you, having park admission linked to your account does. The you would just hold your card to the TP instead of your MB.

In fact, we were given KTTWC and told to use them if the MBs did not work during our test. So you do not need a MB to reap the benefits of the mymagic+ system. Just an RF enabled device linked to your account.

If you link your AP to your mydisneyexperience account you are eligible for FP+.

Currently, if you link your AP to your account you are eligible for FP+. Now, the loophole will work for you until they either close it or discontinue legacy FPs. So you could get your 3 FP+s and then use your AP card to get legacy FPs just like normal.

Yes, it is supposed to be either or, but the MB is not what determines if you get FP+ or not. Its your mydisneyexperience  account that does. The MB is just a glorified KTTWC or AP. As long as you have the RF chip AP, it will function just like the MB. You just don't wear it on your wrist.

Dave, given your experience and where the system is at now, do you think it's better or there are advantages for passholders to link up their APs now, or hold off?

Based on what Harold and Dave said, I see the advantage of linking the AP to MB as being able to use both FP+ as well as the Legacy FP's for as long as they have legacy FP's.  As I understand it, I will keep my physical pass, and be able to use it in addition to the MB.  I assume it will work at the FP dispensing machines, if registered, even if I don't use it to enter the park.

I had no idea that passholders could do this now.  I just got the latest Mickey Monitor and not a word about it in there.

My question is are AP holders allowed 3 FP+'s every day?  And, can they be scheduled immediately?  Like day of?

TCD

Hold on...... all that it takes is the RFID from the band and no manual entry of a pin number?

Humm, I can some one steeling the RFID code while walking thru a crowd. For steeling the code to work the theft would have to touch or almost touch the other person's band. Then since the code static then the theft can make thier "band" use the other person's code and retrieve a fast pass. Think about how often you are bumped into at WDW, now those bumps could steal your RFID.

The hardware to do it exists on most Android smart phones now. The software wouldn't be that hard to create. The tricky part is creating the band that you can quickly jump codes with, that way you can get enough fast passes for an entire group.

I can see some one offering a service for fast passing every ride.

Dave, given your experience and where the system is at now, do you think it's better or there are advantages for passholders to link up their APs now, or hold off?

I see advantages, but it really depends on the pass holder. Having the ability to schedule your fast passes and not worry about sending a runner or running with the bulls at RD is advantage enough for me. You could decide you are going to MK on Sat and schedule your FP for space mountain the Tuesday before. You will already have your time and not have to rush around. Plus, as new features are implemented, you are already in the system so you can immediately take advantage of them.

Based on what Harold and Dave said, I see the advantage of linking the AP to MB as being able to use both FP+ as well as the Legacy FP's for as long as they have legacy FP's.  As I understand it, I will keep my physical pass, and be able to use it in addition to the MB.  I assume it will work at the FP dispensing machines, if registered, even if I don't use it to enter the park.

I had no idea that passholders could do this now.  I just got the latest Mickey Monitor and not a word about it in there.

My question is are AP holders allowed 3 FP+'s every day?  And, can they be scheduled immediately?  Like day of?

TCD

Think of it this way, your AP will be used to enter the park. Your AP (the physical card) is registered to your account. You use your MB to enter the park. The MB is linked to your AP on your account. So although you do not physically swipe or tap your AP card, it is used to enter the park. Therefore it is marked as being used that day.

And yes, as long as you have valid park entry on your account, you can schedule FP+. So an AP holder can have FP+s for everyday if they wanted. And they can be scheduled or changed up to the time of. So you could enter the park and bring up the app and schedule your FP+s standing in the castle hub. If any are available, you could have one setup for 10 mins after you schedule it.

Hold on...... all that it takes is the RFID from the band and no manual entry of a pin number?

Humm, I can some one steeling the RFID code while walking thru a crowd. For steeling the code to work the theft would have to touch or almost touch the other person's band. Then since the code static then the theft can make thier "band" use the other person's code and retrieve a fast pass. Think about how often you are bumped into at WDW, now those bumps could steal your RFID.

The hardware to do it exists on most Android smart phones now. The software wouldn't be that hard to create. The tricky part is creating the band that you can quickly jump codes with, that way you can get enough fast passes for an entire group.

I can see some one offering a service for fast passing every ride.

Not going into the in depth workings, but to make purchases a PIN number is needed, to enter the park a finger scan is used.

But yes, the band is just a number linked to your account. When you use the band (or any RF enabled device for that matter) it just reads the RF code and accesses the account it is linked to then checks the appropriate database for authorization.

In order for your plan to work, you would need to first glean the code from a band. Then, you would have to encode another band or bands on the spot that match the band you just gleaned from (color, name, etc). Then, you would have to hack into the database and see what FP+s are scheduled for what times and use them before anyone figures out the band was compromised. Once the band is lost, stolen, or compromised in anyway, it is deactivated within seconds and a new one issued with a different number. You would spend more time getting this done than you would waiting in the standby line on a busy day.

Do you mean I can do this now?

Nice of Disney to let me know.

TCD

We got an "e"mail a while back about using the phone app. We don't fastpass so I didn't look at all the details.

I don't see the need to hack the database. The theft would just need to keep trying the stolen RFIDs until the machine spit a FP out.

You are gleaning a code for FP+. If you try to use the MB to access the FP+ of a ride and are not authorized yet, it alerts the CM. This will then bring attention to yourself. If too many failed attempts occur, the band is flagged and deactivated. Same with if your PIN is incorrectly entered too many times.  

Plus, if you glean a code from Sandy and you are not a woman, you will get some looks when you touch a TP.

When you use a TP (even to enter the park) your info is displayed on a screen and the CM verifies the info.

We got an "e"mail a while back about using the phone app. We don't fastpass so I didn't look at all the details.

I believe it started as an invite only type thing. I do know some AP holders got free stays at resorts to help test while others who already had reservations at a test resort got asked to participate. Now, its just a word of mouth spread I guess. Check the super secret AP website.