New to the Fort, new to here, need help

It was easier to walk to the Settlement than trying to find enough dry towels to dry off the cart.  

Remember the Sham-wow?

Are you following me camera guy?

I keep a couple of them in the camper to dry stuff off.  I don't know if they would really soak up a 2 liter bottle of soda from the carpet, but they are great for drying off a golf cart.  I keep one in the golf cart glove box in case the cart gets rained on when we are at a park.

TCD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are they crappies?  :rofl2:

Having a blonde moment here, I do have those stupid Sham-Wow things in the camper.  Not sure why I didn't think to use them.  I keep them in the backpack for wet rides.

We had 922 last time.  Pretty view of the green canal.  Actually, it wasn't too bad with the green, but not so nice with the garbage floating in it.  I think any outside the loop site would be okay.  Inside loop, some were kinda short looking.

I like the 900 loop too. It's my favorite premium loop now that my kids are grown. However, it does share a comfort station with the 1000 loop. It's a bit further from the pool than 1400, and it is on the Orange bus route, which is longer and slower than the Yellow route. For a family with kids who will be visiting the pool and campfire a lot, the 1400 loop is a better choice.

TCD

I did not known it shared. I rarely even see people in it.

Something that struck me was your refrencing "check in time", they will check you in anytime after I believe 7 AM, you have a better chance of getting the site you want by checking in earlier. If your site is ready you can get on it, if its not they will call or text you when it is. You can park in the lot and take a bus to where ever you want and enjoy the day instead of planning on trying to arrive at "check in time".

I did not known it shared. I rarely even see people in it.

Well, here's why . . .

There are 32 sites on 900 and only 23 on 1000.  That's 55 sites sharing a comfort station- and they're premium sites so most guests have their own facilities.

By comparison, the 400 loop has 33 sites and the 500 56.  That's 88 sites sharing that comfort station plus there's a sidewalk for guests on 700.

1400 has its own comfort station, but there are 61 sites using it.  Plus it's the closest restroom for the campfire and movie.

You want the least crowded comfort station?  Try 1100.  It sits between 1100 and 2100, but 2100 is a cabin loop.  There are only 24 campsites using the 1100 loop comfort station.

Another loop with a low site to comfort station ratio is 2000.  There are 69 sites, but two comfort stations.  Way better than the situation on 400/500, or even 900/1000.

TCD

Well, here's why . . .

There are 32 sites on 900 and only 23 on 1000. That's 55 sites sharing a comfort station- and they're premium sites so most guests have their own facilities.

By comparison, the 400 loop has 33 sites and the 500 56. That's 88 sites sharing that comfort station plus there's a sidewalk for guests on 700.

1400 has its own comfort station, but there are 61 sites using it. Plus it's the closest restroom for the campfire and movie.

You want the least crowded comfort station? Try 1100. It sits between 1100 and 2100, but 2100 is a cabin loop. There are only 24 campsites using the 1100 loop comfort station.

Another loop with a low site to comfort station ratio is 2000. There are 69 sites, but two comfort stations. Way better than the situation on 400/500, or even 900/1000.

TCD

Wow.

Well, here's why . . .

There are 32 sites on 900 and only 23 on 1000.  That's 55 sites sharing a comfort station- and they're premium sites so most guests have their own facilities.

By comparison, the 400 loop has 33 sites and the 500 56.  That's 88 sites sharing that comfort station plus there's a sidewalk for guests on 700.

1400 has its own comfort station, but there are 61 sites using it.  Plus it's the closest restroom for the campfire and movie.

You want the least crowded comfort station?  Try 1100.  It sits between 1100 and 2100, but 2100 is a cabin loop.  There are only 24 campsites using the 1100 loop comfort station.

Another loop with a low site to comfort station ratio is 2000.  There are 69 sites, but two comfort stations.  Way better than the situation on 400/500, or even 900/1000.

TCD

But!!!  99.9% of the folks on 2000 need the comfort station.

Damn Andrew, you give a lot of thought where to poop!

Yeah.  So?

But!!!  99.9% of the folks on 2000 need the comfort station.

Good point.  Those comfort stations get a lot more traffic than the ones in premium loops.

The comfort station is the only thing I don't care for on 500.  As TCD pointed out, it does tend to get crowded as it is shared with 400 and to some extent 700.  I am a "non-peak" showerer so that doesn't bother me, but there ain't nothing more annoying than walking in with a purpose and having stall #2 be occupado. 

I am both a "non-peak" and a "non-peek" showerer.

:rofl2:

What are you laughing at? 

TCD

Thanks for the site vs CS ratio study, not something I had considered. I expect the only thing we will be using the CSs for is for showers at night. With sewer hook up, we can do that in the trailer if the CS is busy at the time. I will continue to look at it but y'all are convincing me on the 1400.

I think I have decided the route we will take is the 78-65-231-10-75. After looking at wecamphere.com and rvparkreviews.com, I think that Lee's Country Campground in White Springs, FL will be a good stop going down and Deer Run RV Park in Troy, AL will be a good stop on the way home. Lee's is about 8 miles out of the way (back up 75), but has great reviews. About a 10 hr drive on day one, 3 hours on day two. Deer Run isn't quite as far on day one, but I don't want to have to rush out of FW on our departure day. Has anyone stayed at either of these places? All this has time to change in the next 8 months before we go.

I also may rethink my day to do the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, making it for a day during the week instead of our arrival day. I still have two months to decide on this till we get to the 180 day point.

Y'all have great information and I will continue to ask questions as I think of them.

I think I have decided the route we will take is the 78-65-231-10-75. After looking at wecamphere.com and rvparkreviews.com, I think that Lee's Country Campground in White Springs, FL will be a good stop going down and Deer Run RV Park in Troy, AL will be a good stop on the way home. Lee's is about 8 miles out of the way (back up 75), but has great reviews. About a 10 hr drive on day one, 3 hours on day two. Deer Run isn't quite as far on day one, but I don't want to have to rush out of FW on our departure day. Has anyone stayed at either of these places? All this has time to change in the next 8 months before we go.

We have stayed at Deer Run, and I recommend it for an overnight for sure.  If you don't make it quite that far on the return trip and want to stop in the Dothan area, I also recommend Ozark Travel Park.  The only thing there is that it became a KOA in the last year so I'm not sure how the rates are.  But very nice, clean park with good bathhouses. 

We have stayed many times at Deer Run and Ozark, both are great places but since the KOA conversion at Ozark, it is a little expensive for an overnight. On your way home if you are shooting for Deer Run you need to know where to turn, you have to turn at a road to the south of the CG and there is little signage and if it is dark, hard to find.  

My wife and I have looked at the loops and the loop videos and have decided on the 1400 loop. We figure that even if we go to MK 3 times, that is only 3 trips to the marina. However, we plan on going to the pool every afternoon and most nights doing the campfire, that make 6-7 trips, not including have to run back to get a forgotten towel, sunscreen, etc. That would make our preference list something like 1400, 900, 500, something.

I have also looked at the FF app. I don't think I will have any trouble with the size of the sites, the total lenght of our trailer is 30' and we are pulling it with a Dodge 2500 MegaCab. I do wonder about the ones that are listed as "Difficult" and "very difficult" for the back in. Are those mainly sights that are on the interior of the loop right at the turn in the loop. I have no special skills in backing and don't want to end up as someone's "you shoulda seen the mess this guy got in" story from their trip to the Fort. On our last trip our camping nieghbor came out and asked me what my wife was telling me as I was backing in. I told him that she helps me by watching my blind corner and telling me how far I have to come back, talking to me with a walkie-talkie. I figure it works and she helps me out. So, my question is how difficult are the ones listed as such? Also, is there a camp diagram that shows where the individual sites are in each loop?

Thanks

Don't worry about how hard or how long it takes you to back in a site, I never had anymore problem with the 1400 than any other site. If you are new to backing then you will learn regardless of what Joe I am an expert camper says. I have backed into spots in one shot and turned off the truck and I have spent a half hour getting it "just" the right spot. One thing will all sites is you need to make sure your elec reaches and your hose reaches and more important your black hose reaches where you put the camper. Some hook ups are in the back, some toward the front and some in the middle, check your slides to make sure you can get them out and wa la you got it, who cares if someone thinks it took you too long. Have fun and don't over think stuff.

Go here and scroll down to a Brief tutorial and follow the downloads and you get a great picture of all the sites in Google Earth thanks to our very own "Santa" and several other Fiends.

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/fort-wilderness-site-maps-in-googleearth-r312