First Cruise - New England to Montreal

Two years ago for my 60th birthday, I chose a camping trip to The Fort with my friend Joyce. The first few days for beautiful... the last few were a wash out... one of those storms that just sits over Florida dumping BUCKETS of water.  We left early. 

This year for Joyce's 60th birthday, she picked a cruise.  Neither of us had been on one before so after much research, she picked the Holland America cruise from Boston to Montreal with stops in Bar Harbor Maine, Halifax Nova Scotia, Sydney Nova Scotia, Charlottetown Prince Edward Island, and Quebec City. 

We flew into Boston a few days early to visit Joyce's brother and sister-in-law and to drive up the Maine coast.

We took a circuitous route to get to her brother's house.  First stop:  Plymouth Rock

IMG_1021.jpg

The monument around the rock:

IMG_1318.jpg

Here it is...  It's a bit underwhelming.

IMG_1317.jpg

Next stop, the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls, Mass.  It's an old railway bridge converted to a garden.

IMG_1329.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

Heading up the coast of Maine, we stopped at York Beach.  Nice camprounds on the south end of the beach:

DSC00620.jpg

Nubble Light on the north end of York:

DSC00628.jpg

The Bush compound in Kennebunkport:

IMG_1349.jpg

Joyce with the LL Bean boot:

IMG_1049.jpg

On the way back to Boston, we stopped in Portsmouth, New Hampshire where I lived for 12 year.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard!     Convince you, maybe. We had a great time.   Dave:  I've been trying to think of something creepy from this trip to post JUST FOR YOU.  Guess what?  I can't think of a thing!    Whi

Day Five continued: When we departed PEI, the ship's captain came on the PA and let us know we would be going under the Confederation Bridge. We would clear it with 6 feet to spare! The bridge was op

You would love Canada.  Besides the areas Judy is showing, there is a town near Niagara Falls called Niagara-On-The-Lake that is about the most beautiful place ever.  Lush gardens, huge trees, inns an

Welcome aboard!

I'm in! My wife and I have been thinking of a cruise like the one you took for a while now, can you convince us to go? Looking forward to more

Convince you, maybe. We had a great time.

I've been waiting for this one.  And your first post didn't creep me out one bit. 

Dave:  I've been trying to think of something creepy from this trip to post JUST FOR YOU.  Guess what?  I can't think of a thing! 

While in Portsmouth, we look a day cruise on the Isles of Shoals Steam Ship Company's Thomas Laighton.  We left from Portsmouth, went down the Piscataqua River to Star Island which is part of the Isles of Shoals off the Maine and New Hampshire coast.  Portsmouth Harbor is definitely a working harbor.  Note the salt pile and scrap heap in the background.  The scrap metal is sent to China. 

IMG_1364.jpg

The new draw bridge from Portsmouth NH to Kittery Maine went up just for us.   I hope you like bridges.  This trip report is going to have lots of bridge pics. 

DSC00680.jpg

We went by the Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard.  Here is a submarine in for maintenance:

DSC00686-1.jpg

This is a reproduction of a gundalow boat.  You can take cruises on it, too. 

DSC00760.jpg

Portsmouth Light at Fort Constitution, Newcastle, NH:

DSC00694.jpg

Whaleback Light where the Piscataqua River meets the Atlantic Ocean:

DSC00754.jpg

Star Island is primarily a conference center; however, the general public can spend a few hours exploring it. 

IMG_1366.jpg

The island cemetery from it's early days when it was famous for cod fishing.

DSC00728.jpg

One requirement for visiting Portsmouth is at least one meal at Newick's:

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Next up.. the Port of Boston! 

That last pic was awesome.  You could quit now and I'd be happy.  Well, not happy that you quit.  But just happy.  About the food.  Do you understand what I mean?  I should stop. 

We ate at quite a few "clam shacks".  Joyce will probably tell you a few too many.  :)   I miss the restaurants where the fishing boats tie up at the dock out back. YUM!  Nothing like it in this end of Texas.

Saturday morning we left Portsmouth early and headed to Logan airport to turn in the rental car.  For anyone who has ever driven in New England traffic, it's interesting to say the least.  We had to get the rental car shuttle back to the airport terminal and then grab a cab to the port.  Our cab driver was wonderful and had us there in less than 15 minutes.

There were two cruise ships in that morning - both Holland America.  We were getting on the Maasdam.  The Veendam had just returned from a 35 day "Grand Tour" to Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Holland and back.  The couple behind us in line had just gotten off the Veendam and were getting on the Maasdam.  $$$$

Waiting for check in to start:

IMG_1373.jpg

The port building is an old warehouse:

IMG_1375.jpg

There's our ship!

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1061-1.jpg

As soon as we got on the ship we started exploring.  We could see planes landing at Logan:

DSC00777.jpg

A barge went by:

DSC00779.jpg

We found someone to take our picture:

DSC00781.jpg

A bag piper from Halifax entertained us: 

DSC00789.jpg

Have you ever landed at Logan Airport?   It seems like you are going to land right in the water. 

We sailed right by the end of that runway:

IMG_1384.jpg

...and an airplane flew RIGHT over us. 

DSC00793.jpg

The Boston skyline:

DSC00791.jpg

We sailed by a lighthouse.  There will be LOTS more:

DSC00801.jpg

I learned about Pilots.  Everytime we neared the next port, a tug brought out the Pilot (someone who is expert in the surrounding waters).  When we left, the tug would come back out to pick him up.

DSC00806.jpg

A view of the smaller pool - our room was inside the door and to the right.  I really liked that room.

DSC00807.jpg

Pool rules. Anyone using the pool must be potty trained.  No diapers allowed.

DSC00955.jpg

Sunset day one from our veranda:

DSC00810.jpg

Moonrise over the water.  Nice!

DSC00816.jpg

Those sunset and moonrise photos are fantastic! 

Thanks and nice to have you aboard!

Pausing for general Holland America information:

We chose not to have an assigned seating in the Rotterdam dining room each evening.  We made reservations to eat there Day Two; but, the rest of the time we ate at the Lido buffet.  That worked well for us. 

Night time attire was listed as Business for all but two evenings which were formal.  Most people didn't dress up quite that much.  Business attire:  Slacks or a skirt with a nice blouse/shirt for the women   Dress slacks and a collared shirt for the men.  Formal nights: I saw two couples in what I consider formal attire.  Most men added a sport coat, maybe a tie and the women added a blouse with a bit more flair. 

We bought a soda card.  Fountain sodas were $1.50.  The soda card was $25 for a $50 card so the sodas ended up being $.75.   Water, tea, coffee, and juices were free.  A highlight of breakfast each morning was fresh squeezed orange juice.  It was squeezed right at the juice station.

They offer a "Signature Beverage Package", too.  $44.95 per person per day for 15 drinks... each day!  If you purchase it, everyone in your cabin "of age" must also buy it.   I don't see how anyone could drink that much and still be upright.  (Granted - I've never been to a GG :) )

If you buy a bottle of wine in the Rottendam dining room and don't finish it, they will store it for you so you can have it with your next meal there.

Each evening a newsletter was placed outside our room.  It included information for the next day:  the weather forecast; arrival and departure times at the next port; entertainnment; classes  [Microsoft, cooking, photography, bridge, ballroom dancing, health related (acupuncture, arthritis, foot print analysis)].

Overviews of the daily news from around the world were available in the Lido restaurant - NY Times, Britain Today, something from Australia. 

The age distribution on the cruise was about 60% babyboomers, 30% younger couples without children, 10% families.   We talked to a 30-something couple from a NYC suburb.  This was their first Holland America cruise.  They said their last cruise was on Princess which they felt out of place on - mostly retirees.  They liked the Holland America age distribution better. 

My best pre-cruise investment was a good pair of binoculars.  I used them A LOT!

Great information on the cruise, Judy!  Doing one of those port hopping cruises in the Maritimes is a dream of mine for someday....as is doing a European river cruise. 

Regarding the Signature Drink thing...WOW!  15 drinks per day, per person?  I'd be sick and/or sleeping.  And your comment on GG's is funny.  If you ever get to a GG, you'll see that there is more coffee being drank than alcohol.  LOL! 

Looking good so far, waiting for more.

Since you commented about the wine, on DCL it follows you to the next dining room when you rotate. It amazes me how they keep that all straight.

Also if you decide to dine at Palo or Remy you can request the bottle be brought up there as well and they are happy to do that. 

Welcome aboard everyone! 

It was great to have such cool weather after another hot summer in Texas.  I would certainly recommend this cruise for people who want to Port Hop (as Dave put it) and to get a feel for the Canadian Maritimes. 

Day 2:  Bar Harbor, Maine

The Veendam left Boston after we did; but, it passed us overnight.  I would have loved to watch it go by.  Because the Bar Harbor port can not accomodate cruise ships, we moored offshore and "tendered" in to the dock.  Here is the Veendam:

DSC00827.jpg

The life boats are now our Tenders. 

DSC00832.jpg

It's our turn to go ashore.   I felt like we were packed in like sardines; but, the capacity for this boat used as a lifeboat is double of that when it is used as a tender. No clue where they put everyone. 

DSC00834.jpg

We picked a "Driving Tour of Acadia National Park" and it was just that... a driving tour.  We stopped once for 15 minutes where we could walk to the point to take pictures, walk the other direction to the gift shop, or stand in line at the restrooms.  We decided to take pictures.   If you want to see Acadia this would be an OK tour... If you want to spend time there, not so much. 

The Veendam is on the left and the Maasdam is on the right.  This is the last port the ships were in together. 

DSC00835.jpg

We had a bit of time left after the tour so we walked along the waterfront:

DSC00851.jpg

When we got back to the cabin we had a towel crab(?)

9d842e6f-f1bb-4b84-a864-725347cb7361.jpg

We made reservations at the Rotterdam dining room for supper - sorry no pictures. 

We also enjoyed the show in the Showroom at Sea.  There were 6-7 musical actors/actresses plus two dancers who were in the various shows plus a 5 member combo that provided the music.  They were all really good.  The two main singers (a husband and wife) had recently been on the road with major shows - he had been in Phantom and she had been in Les Miserable.

If you're not the stage show type, there were several bars, each with a different type of music. 

Next stop... Halifax! 

Day Three:  We enjoyed watching the ship pull into port and then leave each day.   Here we are arriving in Halifax:

DSC00871.jpg

DSC00875.jpg

A bag piper greeted us:

DSC00879.jpg

Pier 21.  I didn't realize Canada has it's own Seven Wonders:

DSC00881.jpg

If you are a webcam fan, here is one of the Halifax port. 

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/halifax/pier-21.html

We signed up for a walking tour of Halifax.   Fortunately, they bussed us to the start.  Halifax is quite hilly.

DSC00887.jpg

We started in the Public Gardens:

DSC00889.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

King George VI (of King's Speech fame), Queen Elizabeth's father, planted a tree here in 1939:

DSC00897.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

Concerts are held here each weekend during the summer:

DSC00901.jpg

Serpentine flower beds come complete with heads!

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

This fountain commemorates the Boer War.  The Camperdown Elm behind it was planted in the 1749..

DSC00912.jpg

Next we walked around the outside of The Halifax Citadel.  It is still a working military facility:

DSC00914.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

It's clock tower was erected by HRH the Duke of Kent in 1803.

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

We walked back to the harbor and saw Theodore Too.  Isn't he the cutest thing!  Theodore will take you on a tour of the harbor:

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

Theodore also has his own TV show.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Tugboat

Another harbor pic:

DSC00932.jpg

Lots of ships went by us. This one was HUGE:

DSC00953.jpg

When we walked by the bar at the swimming pool, I saw all the beers lined up.  I thought someone might be interested:

DSC00956.jpg

It was a great day that ended with a full moon rising:

DSC00968.jpg

Day Four: Sydney, Nova Scotia

I hadn't heard of Sydney, Nova Scotia prior to signing up for the cruise but it became our favorite town of the trip. Small, quaint, friendly. No big McMansions lining the shores. Just little frame houses belonging to the hard working folks who call Sydney home. Since the winters are long, lots of people take up crafts to help pass the time. They were allowed to set up tables in the port building to sell their wares. I thought they were well made and reasonably priced. Example: A hand crocheted baby blanket for $25. I bought a hand quilted picture of the shoreline for $20.

One of the things the Sydney area is known for is fiddling. A young lady (20-something) fiddler joined the cruise in Halifax. She gave a concert in the Showroom at Sea that night. It was real foot stomping music. See the big fiddle to the right of the port building.

DSC00977.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

Today we took a trip to Fort Louisbourg:

"The Fortress of Louisbourg is the largest reconstruction project in North America. The original settlement was founded in 1713 by the French and developed over several decades into a thriving center for fishing and trade. Fortified against the threat of British invasion during the turbulent time of empire-building, Louisbourg was besieged twice before finally being destroyed in the 1760s. The site lay untouched until well into modern times, when archaeologists began to reconstruct the fortress as it was in the 18th century. Thanks to their efforts and the work of Parks Canada and the Fortress Louisbourg Association, you can now experience life in Louisbourg during its heyday. There are more than a dozen buildings open to the public including three authentic working 18th century restaurants. During the summer months hundreds of re-enactors or “animators” of all ages, from wealthy merchants to poor soldiers, populate the streets of the restored fortress working, playing, and living life as they would have in 1744."

On the way we saw a pile of lobster traps:

DSC00993.jpg

Here is a look at Fort Louisbourg as we approached:

DSC00995.jpg

Looking through a gate at a lighthouse across the harbor:

DSC00998.jpg

The chapel. There were ship models hanging in some of the windows:

DSC01001.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

Reenactors demonstrated firing the muskets and canons:

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

There were lots of buildings to wander through:

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

This lace tatting display is interesting:

DSC01018.jpg

A kitchen garden:

DSC01021.jpg

The buildings were but together with pegs as they would have been when they were originally built:

DSC01028.jpg

Views across a field:

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

It was an interesting place to visit.

On our way again, Joyce takes a few minutes to relax on the veranda:

DSC01059.jpg

There were lots of churches on the shore:

DSC01065.jpg

Another pilot boat:

DSC01068.jpg

...and another sunset. We had wonderful weather the entire cruise.

DSC01069.jpg

Next stop... Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

I never heard of Sydney or Fort Louisbourg either. Thanks for sharing the information. It looks like a lot of effort was put in to the restoration.  Is this the equivalent of a National Park in the US?  Is Parks Canada the equivalent of the US National Parks Service? 

It is amazing what a different experience a cruise in the northeast is from a cruise to the Bahamas.

TCD

I never heard of Sydney or Fort Louisbourg either. Thanks for sharing the information. It looks like a lot of effort was put in to the restoration.  Is this the equivalent of a National Park in the US?  Is Parks Canada the equivalent of the US National Parks Service? 

It is amazing what a different experience a cruise in the northeast is from a cruise to the Bahamas.

TCD

Yes, Parks Canada is the equivalent of our National Parks Service:

Parks Canada (French: Parcs Canada), also known as the Parks Canada Agency (French: Agence Parcs Canada), is an agency of the Government of Canada mandated to protect and present nationally significant natural and cultural heritage, and foster public understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment in ways that ensure their ecological and commemorative integrity for present and future generations.[1] Parks Canada manages 44 National Parks (including seven National Park Reserves), four National Marine Conservation Areas, one National Landmark, and 167 National Historic Sites of Canada. The agency also administers the Canadian Register of Historic Places, a registry of historic sites in Canada.

There were a number of tour options at each port and there were always things to do on the ship if you didn't want to go ashore.

Here is a link to the Holland America website for this cruise :

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/canada-new-england-cruises#