Hello. My name is Brianna (aka Peanut on here) and I'm excited to say that our family is finally starting to look into buying a travel trailer. It's taken EIGHT long years to convince my husband to go to an RV dealership but over the weekend, we went and now it's safe to say he's hooked. We had a similar issue with Disney when I told him that's where I wanted to honeymoon and we've been back every year since. Maybe he'll start believing me now when I say something is awesome.

We're wanting to start small-ish so we don't have to upgrade my Suburban 1500 too soon but still big enough to comfortably fit our family (baby 3.0 will be here in January) and a few friends from time to time.

The two trailers we saw and are most interested in are the Keystone Summerland and the Springdale. We're looking at new 2013 models...although we're normally not a "buy new" kind of family because my husband is a trained mechanic and we're on a budget but to be honest, we're intimidated. Neither of us or our family's have ever had an RV or camper (is it called a camper or travel trailer more often?).

So...has anyone had any experience with either of those campers? Or can you give me any MUST KNOW tips before we buy?

I'm so excited!

Hi Peanut!!

I'm camper shopping too! Where are you from?  Are you planning to go to any RV shows?

I'm definitely not new to camping, but I AM new to camper shopping.

My advice would be to make a list of what you NEED and what you WANT and get something in the middle. :banana:

:welcrowd:

Welcome!! 

I am not really familiar with those units specifically, but I have a Keystone Outback which I have been very pleased with.  I'd suggest shopping several dealers and trying to hit an RV show.  Once you find units you are interested in buying, DO NOT buy until you thoroughly research prices online....there is a LOT of negotiating room in RV MSRP pricing....like anywhere from 20-40% depending on model year, floorplan, etc.  Figure 25-30% on average.  And like when buying cars, don't let them nickle and dime you with excessive pricing on hitches, brake controllers, etc.  If you husband is a mechanic there are some things he can do himself to save $. 

Also read up on weights and the capacities of your Suburban.  Pay particular attention to payload capacity....that is where people sometimes trip up by focusing solely on a vehicles tow limits.  Factor all your cargo, passenger weights, pets, etc.  If you get to the point of having specific questions on that post them here. 

Don't be intimidated about buying used.  There are specific things to watch for, such as water damage, but you can save a ton of money that way.  If you get comfortable with the components of an RV, it is possible to spend time going over a used unit and making sure it is ok. 

Good luck!

Welcome!  Keep us updated on your search.  We hope to be shopping for a pop up next year,  but any info about buyer experiences, brands, best times to buy, etc. help us all!    Glad to you here!

Can't help with the trailer questions, but we do want to say:mickey-welcome-sign.gif

Same here, all I have to offer is a big

welcome149.gif

Thanks! I'm excited to meet some new friends and learn everything I can about TT and Fort Wilderness (we've been to Disney many times but always stayed at the resort...everytime we go to Hoop Dee Doo or the BBQ we love seeing all the campsites!)

Hi Peanut!!

I'm camper shopping too! Where are you from?  Are you planning to go to any RV shows?

I'm definitely not new to camping, but I AM new to camper shopping.

My advice would be to make a list of what you NEED and what you WANT and get something in the middle. :banana:

:welcrowd:

We live in Oklahoma and yes, there is an RV show coming to town next month-we're definately going to it and I love your advice. It's so easy to just get what you want because it's what you want or just what you need because it's cheaper but somewhere in the middle sounds perfect!

Welcome!! 

I am not really familiar with those units specifically, but I have a Keystone Outback which I have been very pleased with.  I'd suggest shopping several dealers and trying to hit an RV show.  Once you find units you are interested in buying, DO NOT buy until you thoroughly research prices online....there is a LOT of negotiating room in RV MSRP pricing....like anywhere from 20-40% depending on model year, floorplan, etc.  Figure 25-30% on average.  And like when buying cars, don't let them nickle and dime you with excessive pricing on hitches, brake controllers, etc.  If you husband is a mechanic there are some things he can do himself to save $. 

Also read up on weights and the capacities of your Suburban.  Pay particular attention to payload capacity....that is where people sometimes trip up by focusing solely on a vehicles tow limits.  Factor all your cargo, passenger weights, pets, etc.  If you get to the point of having specific questions on that post them here. 

Don't be intimidated about buying used.  There are specific things to watch for, such as water damage, but you can save a ton of money that way.  If you get comfortable with the components of an RV, it is possible to spend time going over a used unit and making sure it is ok. 

Good luck!

Thank you so much! We don't even know anyone IRL (and just one online...who told me about this site) who has an RV so just hearing that someone has had a Keystone and they enjoy it is reassuring.

I will absolutely shop around and do my research...I'm one of those annoying type A people who has a spreadsheet for everything but it really helps in buying the big stuff.

We were SOOOOO surprised at the vast differences in prices. We went to a dealership just for the heck of it without going online first after we dropped the kids at their Grandparent's on Saturday and that's where my husband got hooked. He was surprised how much he liked them and when we were told the 2005 TT (I want to say it was about 27' and slept 6) was $15,000 we thought THAT was a good price...I don't know what we necessarily expected before we went to the dealership but it was more than that...until we went home and got online. I found another dealership in our area that had a comparable TT which was brand new-even a little bit bigger and on sale for $18,000. The variations in prices between dealerships really surprised me!

My husband is already looking into possibly buying an "EQ hitch" and installing it himself to save some money but he just told me that in order to install it, from what he's read so far, he needs both my truck and the TT to be able to install the hitch but I'm sure he'll do more research on that. Most of the mechanical stuff will go over my head. I can change my own oil, tires and get gas because I'm an Army wife and sometimes he's not here to do those things but to be honest, I much prefer him to do them and anything else that's necessary.

Welcome!! 

Welcome!! 

Good luck!

We are on our third trailer in 4 years.  First was too small once we started having babies, second was a lemon and our third one just arrived this Monday!  We had an older Surburban(99) and the dealers kept trying to push us to bigger TT's, be careful and know your vehicle!  We have a 2500 HD now but still downsized to a 20 ft, its all we really need.  We used to be tent campers so we are minimalist at heart.  Everyone here is great and so helpful!  Good luck shopping!

Welcome!! 

We are on our third trailer in 4 years.  First was too small once we started having babies, second was a lemon and our third one just arrived this Monday!  We had an older Surburban(99) and the dealers kept trying to push us to bigger TT's, be careful and know your vehicle!  We have a 2500 HD now but still downsized to a 20 ft, its all we really need.  We used to be tent campers so we are minimalist at heart.  Everyone here is great and so helpful!  Good luck shopping!

Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun meeting new friends and looking into all the different models and options that are out there. I've never trusted dealers but I feel confident with using one as long as we're well-prepared and do our research first. 

We were SOOOOO surprised at the vast differences in prices. We went to a dealership just for the heck of it without going online first after we dropped the kids at their Grandparent's on Saturday and that's where my husband got hooked. He was surprised how much he liked them and when we were told the 2005 TT (I want to say it was about 27' and slept 6) was $15,000 we thought THAT was a good price...I don't know what we necessarily expected before we went to the dealership but it was more than that...until we went home and got online. I found another dealership in our area that had a comparable TT which was brand new-even a little bit bigger and on sale for $18,000. The variations in prices between dealerships really surprised me!

Some dealers think their used RV's are made of gold.  Of course, every once in a while they will get an unsuspecting buyer to pay way too much.  But I have to believe these days, with all of the information out there online, that doesn't happen as much.  At least that's what I hope.  In any case, a 2005 travel trailer should typically be priced much lower than $15,000, unless it is a high end unit. 

As an example...you mentioned you were looking at Keystone Springdales.  Here is the NADA used value of a 2005 Springdale, 28' unit with one slide and the "typical" standard features.  It calculates retail value as somewhere between $8-10,000. 

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/Keystone-RV/M-268-BHLGL/4085271/Values

We live in Oklahoma and yes, there is an RV show coming to town next month-we're definately going to it and I love your advice. It's so easy to just get what you want because it's what you want or just what you need because it's cheaper but somewhere in the middle sounds perfect![/quote

First of all...WELCOME!!!

Where in oklahoma do you live? We live in Logan County. Crescent Oklahoma to be exact.

When and where is the rv show next month?

Okc or Tulsa?

And the most important question... Are you a Sooner or a Cowboy?

I recommend buying a used camper from an individual. No sense in paying more profit to a dealer. One thing that I can guarantee is no matter what you buy you will figure out what you really want about a year or two of camping later. We are on our 3rd camper in 7 years. If you trade new campers like that you will lose your shirt and pants and possibly shoes too.

Trouble with buying from an individual is they usually think their trailer is the most valuable one on the market. Not to mention they frequently base the price on what they owe on the trailer or what they need for the new trailler, not on what it is really worth.

Trouble with buying from an individual is they usually think their trailer is the most valuable one on the market. Not to mention they frequently base the price on what they owe on the trailer or what they need for the new trailler, not on what it is really worth.

And the dealer doesn't?

Or they could be needing some quick cash or just to remove a payment. I've never seen a good deal on the lot.

The problem comes when someone needs to buy now. Good deals come to those who wait.

The problem comes when someone needs to buy now. Good deals come to those who wait.

I agree completely, the worst deal you can make is when you have a trip planned and you want a rig NOW, take your time, listen to the negatives that roll through your mind, they are trying to tell you something. When the right one comes along those voices will subside and you'll know you made a good deal. Believe me I havw ignored the voices too many times in my life and regretted it.

I agree completely, the worst deal you can make is when you have a trip planned and you want a rig NOW, take your time, listen to the negatives that roll through your mind, they are trying to tell you something. When the right one comes along those voices will subside and you'll know you made a good deal. Believe me I havw ignored the voices too many times in my life and regretted it.

I am glad to hear you are at least trying to ignore the voices in your head.  That is the first step to healing. 

Never buy from a guy named Bubba in the Wally World parking lot who lost the keys to the camper.

We live in Oklahoma and yes, there is an RV show coming to town next month-we're definately going to it and I love your advice. It's so easy to just get what you want because it's what you want or just what you need because it's cheaper but somewhere in the middle sounds perfect![/quote

First of all...WELCOME!!!

Where in oklahoma do you live? We live in Logan County. Crescent Oklahoma to be exact.

When and where is the rv show next month?

Okc or Tulsa?

And the most important question... Are you a Sooner or a Cowboy?

Wow...hello neighbor! We're in Kingfisher now (I'm originally from MN but my husband is from OKC) and judging from where you live, our team is probably not your team.

I went to OU.

BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!..but really as long as your not a Texas fan, we're good. ;)

The RV show we googled is at the OKC fairgrounds the second week of October and Leisure Time (out near Tinker...seem to have fair prices) is having one of their own (don't have to pay admission) on the same weekend

I recommend buying a used camper from an individual. No sense in paying more profit to a dealer. One thing that I can guarantee is no matter what you buy you will figure out what you really want about a year or two of camping later. We are on our 3rd camper in 7 years. If you trade new campers like that you will lose your shirt and pants and possibly shoes too.

And the dealer doesn't?

Or they could be needing some quick cash or just to remove a payment. I've never seen a good deal on the lot.

And you have both crystalized the what the voices in my head have been arguing back and forth...still not sure what we're going to do yet but waiting until we're certain is the plan. I'm technically on bedrest (I really don't know how one does bedrest with two kids and a husband in the military) so buying one now would be pretty disappointing since we wouldn't be able to take it  anywhere for a few more months