We of course Did everything backwards. Bought a Tundra back in 08 that could pull 10,000 pounds then bought a 5000 pound trailer. Found out the trailer was too small for us and bought a trailer when fully loaded exceeded our towing capacity by at least 1000 pounds. Got frustrated and bought a new 4x4 GMC 1500 with tow package and dummy me believed what the salesman stated that we would have no problems. Next we were in a huge dilemma to downsize the RV or get a bigger truck. In one of my other post I stated that God was on our side and we found a great deal on a 2500 Diesel. Moral of the story is if you think you are going to buy a heavy RV or will be trading up down the road, have the right tow vehicle first. I don't think I will ever go back to a gas truck after owning the diesel

Also I think in the 3/4 and 1 ton models, you loose independent front suspension when you get 4x4. Thus you lose asphalt traction and have a rougher ride.

The 4x4 usually sit up higher and might have softer springs which makes the truck feel more wobbly.

In my experience the best tow vehicle ever has been the E150. Nice short rear over hang (1/2 of a F150, minimizes the trailer leverage). Nice seating setup for long hours driving. Enough space for a family of 5 + German Shepard. And the nice sound of a 351.

I hope the new Transit can live up the Econoline reputation. If the diesel duratroq is available, I will be test driving.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Agreed.  I tow all day long with a 4X4 and all I loose is a little of my capacity.

Also I think your insurance is higher with 4 wheel drive.

I guess when it comes to the 4x4 it really does come down to whether or not we NEED it. I'm not sure. My suburban now isn't and living in very flat, mild (compared to up north where I grew up) winters Oklahoma, it hasn't been a necessity but there have been times I wished we had it and I do want to be able to travel anywhere...well, nearly anywhere with our TT. I'm not as concerned about the insurance rates because we're good drivers and that just sort of comes with it I guess.

It's just the two of us and a 90 pound dog in a crew cab F-250 and it's tight.  We actually had 2 dogs, but lost Natasha last December and it was extremely tight with the two of them in the back seat.  No idea where you would put 3 kids.....

I'm sorry for your loss. We had two big dogs (a ridgeback and a husky lab mix) before we had children which is why we bought our first SUV but we lost our husky lab a couple years ago.

We of course Did everything backwards. Bought a Tundra back in 08 that could pull 10,000 pounds then bought a 5000 pound trailer. Found out the trailer was too small for us and bought a trailer when fully loaded exceeded our towing capacity by at least 1000 pounds. Got frustrated and bought a new 4x4 GMC 1500 with tow package and dummy me believed what the salesman stated that we would have no problems. Next we were in a huge dilemma to downsize the RV or get a bigger truck. In one of my other post I stated that God was on our side and we found a great deal on a 2500 Diesel. Moral of the story is if you think you are going to buy a heavy RV or will be trading up down the road, have the right tow vehicle first. I don't think I will ever go back to a gas truck after owning the diesel

Same here.

I'm not surprised to read that. My husband has an unhealthy addiction to cars and trucks. At one point in our marriage we owned 7 vehicles, 6 of which were his. And one of his absolute favorites was a diesel VW Jetta

I'm not surprised to read that. My husband has an unhealthy addiction to cars and trucks. At one point in our marriage we owned 7 vehicles, 6 of which were his. And one of his absolute favorites was a diesel VW Jetta

My favorite and first car was a 78 VW Rabbit diesel. Got beyond great as mileage but did get anywhere fast. All my friends used to laugh at hw long it took me to get anywhere, but they were jealous when I left the fuel pumps and still had beer money in my pocket.

My favorite and first car was a 78 VW Rabbit diesel. Got beyond great as mileage but did get anywhere fast. All my friends used to laugh at hw long it took me to get anywhere, but they were jealous when I left the fuel pumps and still had beer money in my pocket.

Hey, that was my DH's first car, too.  Loved that thing.  It took us many places, camping and biking.  2 people + bikes + camping gear = a full vehicle!

The biggest drawback is we had to replace the exhaust system every 18 months. LOL

We're hoping to buy a dedicated bigger tow vehicle in about 4-5 years. My problem with going to truck (although I'd love to be able to get a 5th wheel) is that we will have three kids in January and we have a 90lb dog so the tow vehicle might be tight is we don't have an SUV

We have two kids in carseats, one front facing and the other rear facing,  2 75# plus dogs and two adults in a crew cab 2013 Chevy 2500hd.  We had the dogs in the kennels in the truck bed under the camper top on the way down to the Fort.  On the way home however, due losing our axle and sitting on 95 for 5 hours waiting for a tow it was too hot for the pups.  We fit and it would have been better if the larger dog was more mature and didn't jump all over the place.  We did have a 99 Suburban 1500 that we traded in for the hd, world of towing difference!  If we could have found an Excursion we may have bought that instead.  I love my Chevys but the Excursion is BAD ASS!

• 5 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread...I have some questions to add here..

First off, when considering a 5er vs a TT, should I be looking at different specs for the tow vehicle?

Also, I was checking out trailer life's tow guides and they list the "towing capacity". Can someone once and for all explain the difference between that and the GVwR?

We are knee deep in truck hunting and the number we've been paying the most attention to is the GVWR. If that's the most important number, why doesn't the tow guide include it?

(Sorry for the structure of this post, tapatalk is not my friend!)

Actually I pay attention to the GVWR and the GCWR

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating GVWR is the number that you can load the vehicle to with people fuel, and "stuff" (including the actual empty weight of the vehicle)

Gross Combined Weight Rating GCWR is the total number including vehicle, people, fuel, stuff, and trailer

So I figure what will be in the vehicle and get that weight, and make sure it is less than the GVWR

Then I subtract that number from the GCWR, and that is what is leftover for the max weight of your trailer.

For example (totally random numbers)  You have a GCWR of 15K, your vehicle, people, stuff, and a full tank of fuel is 9K, that only leaves 6K for the trailer and contents.

The guide may say the maximum tow weight is 8K, but you have to lower the vehicle weight to get that 8K. That 8K figure comes from 1 driver, no cargo in the vehicle, and 1/2 tank of gas.

With a 5th wheel you have to look at the pin weight and the weight bearing max of your rear axle.

With a travel trailer you have to also look at the tongue weight and max tongue weight of your vehicle and hitch.

Also when looking at trailer weights, totally ignore the dry weight number, only consider the gross number, and you have to keep the amount of "stuff" in the trailer below the gross number.

Also most 1/2 tons and SUV's don't come setup well for towing.  Check gear ratio's and tires.  Usually these can be optioned out at the dealer for something better to tow.  Example is our Expedition, 3:31 gears and P rates tires.  Comfy ride and better on gas but feels spongy towing and screams a little going up hills.

2015 and up the 3/4 ton Suburban has been discontinued.  The Expedition in the EL model will come with the 3:73 gears and have a bit longer wheelbase, though you do lose some capacity with the longer version .  Look at the 2015 coming out with the Ecoboost.  This should make a really great TV for smaller/lighter trailers.

Instead of starting a new thread...I have some questions to add here..

First off, when considering a 5er vs a TT, should I be looking at different specs for the tow vehicle?

Not really- but the amount of weight that the camper pushes down on the truck is higher for fifth wheels than travel trailers. This weight comes off of what is called your payload or cargo carrying capacity. A fifth wheel typically has 20-25% (with fringe cases as low as 15-16%, but it's not common) and a travel trailer has 10%-15%.

Also, I was checking out trailer life's tow guides and they list the "towing capacity". Can someone once and for all explain the difference between that and the GVwR?

The towing capacity is how much your truck can *pull*. It is calculated with a completely empty truck and only a 150 pound driver. I'm willing to argue that they don't even calculate extra weight for hitches. It's purely a marketing number because of chubby drivers like me who like to bring our families and some stuff in the truck. :D

The GVWR is what the truck is designed to *carry*. This is called the gross vehicle weight rating. This number has to carry the truck itself, and everything in/on it- driver, passengers, child seats, traveling comforts (food, drinks, activities ", etc), travel tools (GPS, laptop, iPad, etc), truck bed cover/topper, anything in the truck bed (firewood, coolers, grills, bikes, funny hats, etc). You would be amazed at how quickly it adds up. My family days up 1,200 pounds of payload when we're ready for longer trips.

We are knee deep in truck hunting and the number we've been paying the most attention to is the GVWR. If that's the most important number, why doesn't the tow guide include it?

(Sorry for the structure of this post, tapatalk is not my friend!)

Unfortunately, the GVWR is generally on a sticker on the vehicle.

Or, to figure out a tow vehicles capacity- you can to work backwards to arrive at a calculation using the Tire and Load Information sticker. From that, you have to deduct the weights of the things you know to find out what is left over for tongue or pin weight.

I know I keep plugging my sites- but I have a few handy calculators at:

http://www.towingplanner.com/

I'm hopeful to eventually make them into an app, but for now they are formatted nicely for use on a phone/tablet.

If you find them confusing- let me know if a different tool/calculator would be helpful to you.