Extra Magic Hours. Love 'em? Hate 'em?

Rick and myself use late EMH quite a bit.  Every once in a while, I'll use early EMH by myself for the E-Rides that Rick won't ride.  I'm out the door while he is still snoozing, and I'll hit the coasters and be out of the park by 9am and back to the Fort.

'

I subscribe to TPs too, and many times their advice jives. BUT when I compare estimate wait times in park, Josh always wins.

IP also uses historic date that doesn't always look at other factors. Good example.... TP suggested the MK as their most recommended park on July 4th. I'm pretty sure all fiends know that they would be (and was) the ONLY park closed for capacity that day. Far from a best park from a crowd standpoint.

well sometimes common sense needs to work too and TP doesn't require me to read much.  

My idea of night time EMH is Kathy's coffee under Bob's awning. And my touring plan is looping with Fiends!

that is some good EMH

Rick and myself use late EMH quite a bit.  Every once in a while, I'll use early EMH by myself for the E-Rides that Rick won't ride.  I'm out the door while he is still snoozing, and I'll hit the coasters and be out of the park by 9am and back to the Fort.

'

great idea

We follow the advice of Josh at easyWDW and avoid parks with EMH unless there is an unusual reason not to. 

I'm a teacher and a line snob. That means I only travel during peak times, but I also don't want to waste my time waiting in line. 

I also don't park hop as I don't see the value. If I had an AP, that would be different.

Our MO is early RD at recommended park (via easywdw), afternoon break, return to the same park. 

The longest line I've EVER waited in during Easter week was a 20 minute Buzz and Woody character meet and a 20 minute FP return on Space. Usually 15 min is my limit. And we do A LOT. To me, the plan makes the difference. Part of the plan is staying away from EMH parks with larger crowds unless you plan to hop after a couple of hours. 

This is an interesting approach to me.  As AP holders, if we want to hit a park early, we will always go to the one that has the morning EMH.  But, it is true that a morning EMH means that park will be super busy that day.  So, we always hop from that park to another.  It works for us.  If I didn't have the ability to hop, I agree that the extra crowds cancel out any advantage given by that one extra hour in the morning.

As far as evening EMH's go, now that they've been shortened to only two hours, they aren't so great.  For Epcot, it's hardly worth it.  You can probably get one ride each on Soarin and Test Track, but that's about it.  Usually, it's the same for DHS- you may be able to get two or three of the busy attractions in.  MK is the best park for evening EMH's, but that third hour used to be the best.  Nothing beats being at the MK between 2 and 3 am, when they used to do that.  They don't even have evening EMH's at AK anymore.  Those used to be good.  Riding Expedition Everest at night is cool, and you don't get a chance to do that very often.

TCD

Our AP expires this fall and since we dont' have immediate plans for returning as a family, we have decided not to renew until we do.  However, I am not sure I can go back to non-park hopping as the freedom it gives you to get the EMH and then avoid the crowd by jumping ship.  I know they charge alot for parkhopping option but it's so worth it at times.

We love them.

We try to hit the parks early then back to the camper for a long lunch/nap break, feet up, enjoy some relaxing time (with me usually soaking my feet!).  DW usually starts the crock-pot with dinner before we leave so she checks that at lunch time to be sure it is not burning down the entire Fort.  (she is my favorite worrier about such things!)  Then back to the park late for the evening.  Helps to stay out of the heat in the middle of the day...or at least that is my theory.

This is an interesting approach to me.  As AP holders, if we want to hit a park early, we will always go to the one that has the morning EMH.  But, it is true that a morning EMH means that park will be super busy that day.  So, we always hop from that park to another.  It works for us.  If I didn't have the ability to hop, I agree that the extra crowds cancel out any advantage given by that one extra hour in the morning.

As far as evening EMH's go, now that they've been shortened to only two hours, they aren't so great.  For Epcot, it's hardly worth it.  You can probably get one ride each on Soarin and Test Track, but that's about it.  Usually, it's the same for DHS- you may be able to get two or three of the busy attractions in.  MK is the best park for evening EMH's, but that third hour used to be the best.  Nothing beats being at the MK between 2 and 3 am, when they used to do that.  They don't even have evening EMH's at AK anymore.  Those used to be good.  Riding Expedition Everest at night is cool, and you don't get a chance to do that very often.

TCD

We hope to get to do AK in the dark sometime this winter. We have never been there at night and I think EE would bee super cool at night.

We hope to get to do AK in the dark sometime this winter. We have never been there at night and I think EE would bee super cool at night.

That's when you need to do it.

During busy times, they will keep AK open late-sometimes until 8 pm.

People flock out of there at sunset- so sticking around after dark will usually mean no lines.  If you can hit the park one of the nights it has later regular hours, it is just as good, if not better, than the evening EMH's used to be.

TCD