Disney To Stop Selling Paper Stock Certificates

This isn't exactly WDW or Disney Park news....but I didn't know where else to post it. 

Disney has announced that, after October 16th, they will no longer issue stock certificates. 

This doesn't affect most investors, who never actually receive or hold the paper certificates.  But it does impact those who buy the stock to frame and/or gift to loved ones.  If you have planned on buying one or more shares for this purpose at some point, you better act now. 

Here is a website of a company that sells single shares of stock for this purpose.  I have not personally purchased any stock in this way, because there is a really large premium over the actual share price that I'm not willing to pay.  I priced out a share of Disney stock, matted and framed, and it came out more than twice the cost of the actual share.  But...a lot of people do want to do this as a keepsake, so I thought I'd pass it along. 

https://www.oneshare.com/stock/disney

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By one for yourself, i mean for the family.

I say we take Jason's and make color copies of it so everyone can have one! Everyone chips in $5 and it was will cover Jason's initial investment

Whoop whoop got a check for .83 today!

$10 more than I would have spent today. I didnt find out about the mouseavers code till after LOL. Through Daves link it looks to be about $153 before the discount and shipping. 

For reference, Disney's stock price is $65.58 currently.  The company I linked (which was linked by Mousesavers) charges $39 for the stock transaction, and then by the time you pay framing, matting, engraving, etc. it gets up to the number Jason gave above. 

I suppose it's possible to just buy a share of stock and frame it yourself, but it's not that easy to do these days.  Most brokers won't deal with one share and order the paper certificate (unless maybe if you have a good relationship with them already). 

DD got one from her great uncle for her first b-day. It's been hanging on her wall ever since. It's really cool and would be a great gift for any Disney fan. And besides she gets dividend checks every so often. Usually about .25 cents give or take.

P.S. my birthday is November 6th. Just in case you were having trouble deciding what to get me.

I had been thinking about this for my 3 DSs for Christmas a couple of weeks ago. Got as far as the checkout page but even with the Mousesavers discount, which you can use for each one, it just seemed like a lot to spend over the cost of the stock. You have to get a frame if the stock costs over $50. and the cheapest frame is $39.99. I decided to wait and think about it. Now this and I'm torn again.