Looking around at used older PUP's. 

Of course I'm looking for the mythical one that has been garage kept, only used 3 times by a little old lady, and is $300.

Barring finding that bargain I'm just trying to find a good inexpensive unit in decent shape.

I can do some repairs, removing/replacing cabinets, fixing some leaks, recovering cushions, etc.

What are good older brands?

We had a 70's small Coleman quite a few years ago that was great  .

But reading some Craigslist ads and seeing some on line chats, it seems that Colemans went downhill, especially in their roofs. Lots of stories about sags, leaks, rapid deterioration. 

Are there better brands out there that have held up over the years or have a good reputation.

I know every unit is different, on how it was taken care of etc, but I'm trying to find out about basic manufacturing flaws/issues.

I'm trying to go as inexpensive as possible, mainly want a basic unit  (lightweight 8 to 10 feet) with good canvas and windows.  We don't care about working water, stoves, etc.  We will either cook outside, or utilize small electric appliances (crock pot, skillet, sandwich press).

Years ago StarCraft made some very nice pop ups, I always felt Coleman was the king of pop ups back in the day. I was never a fan of the Palamino or Viking brands but I never really had much experience with those brand maybe someone else can add here about them. Good Luck in your search.

We bought a '99 Coleman in 2009 from its' second owner.  So by then it was a decade old and had sat outside in the hot FL sun the entire time.

Used it for 2 years before upgrading to a TT.  We absolutely loved it, and had few problems.  Like you, pretty much just slept in it and didn't use the stove, etc.

The only major repair we did was to replace the crank assembly.  It was costly due to the co. being out of business and parts no longer available.  However it was not due to design or mfg. flaw, it had gotten cranked too far and busted the spring.  Later I learned that we could have had the parts machined ourselves and had our local guy do the repairs for far less, but it had broken on the road so we weren't dealing with our regular service people.

I just did quite a bit of research on PUPs as we were considering a purchase; I found the Jayco 1207 to be the winner.  It has the most room and (important to me) counter space.  We found a couple of used ones in our area (Atlanta) prices range of $2200-$5500 (private owners - more at dealerships).  We have two little ones and have decided to purchase a travel trailer that can grow with us over the next 10 years (which is why we didn't purchase the Jayco PUP)....plus my DH is really a "city mouse" and "roughing it" for him, is a fully equipped camper  ::)

Good luck on your search!  :thumbsup1:

I just did quite a bit of research on PUPs as we were considering a purchase;

We have two little ones and have decided to purchase a travel trailer that can grow with us over the next 10 years (which is why we didn't purchase the Jayco PUP)....plus my DH is really a "city mouse" and "roughing it" for him, is a fully equipped camper  ::)

Congratulations on doing your research!  IMHO that's the most important thing when buying an RV.  Too many people buy what they think looks and feels good.  Then wonder why they have problems or need to trade in a couple of years.

I'm a "city mouse" too.  Our first unit was a 32' Airstream Argosy.  We did homework for years.  We recouped our purchase price in less than 5 years (FW prices versus suites in Contemporary for 8 people).  And this unit served us well for 20 years.  I think we could have camped in it another 10-20 years with only occasional repairs/updates.

• 5 weeks later...