We Ate Some Stuff

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously.  Imagine beef stroganov, chicken and cream crepes and a chilled vodka drink of some sort.  Yum.  

Also as the Official Bartender of the NFO I must insist all libations must go through rigorous quality control testing. All samples must be a minimum of 16 oz and in a sealed unbreakable container. I

cinnamon rolls from disneyfood blog -  

Wow, that 's a lot of sushi.  I don't remember the caterpillar roll, is that new too?  Were the caterpillars cooked?  I hope they were at least dead.

Brilliant popping over the MK at 6 for a Dole Whip!  I'll bet you saw some good costumes too.

TCD

Good catch.  I do believe the caterpillar roll was also new since last year.  And minus the fur and all those legs, they were quite tasty!  8)

We did get a chance to get just far enough info MK to see a bunch of great costumes for those coming in for the party.  And a few... interesting... ones too. Almost wish I wasn't so busy enjoying my DWPF to have snapped some pics.

Great pood forn. I knew you wouldn't let us down. Keep it coming.

Will do!

Glad to hear there is another 500 fan in the group.  Those sites you reference are my faves.  But don't tell anyone. 

The sushi looks awesome!

Sushi was delicious.  Probably not a surprise that we went back to Kona later in the trip.  Everything was consistently good every time.

Wonder if I can ditch my family and go get some sushi?  They don't like it.  Something about the fish being raw grosses them out.

Here's a little secret... don't tell anyone... if you sit at the sushi bar you can also order off the full Kona menu.  So drag the family over, let them order some wings or noodles or steak or something, and get yourself some sushi!  :)

Did I make page 2? I'm in!

You sure are!

I'm in! Bring on the food.

I wish I liked sushi. I don't like avocado, so that pretty much ruins it for me.

I'm betting if you asked, they'd leave it off without any trouble - it really wouldn't alter things drastically.  There are some things without also.  I've located the picture I took of the menu, will post soon.

I'm not a huge avocado fan (other than guac), but it isn't in much sushi.  Avoid the California rolls and a couple of other rolls.  I usually go for the nigiri or the rolls without avocado.  

We tried the nigiri later on (also a new addition to the menu)  It was also terrific, but you'll have to wait for those pics.  :raspberry:

More pood forn on the way!

One more quick update today...

It wouldn't be vacation or camping without cooking a big ol' breakfast at the camper once in a while.

One of DH's favorite things is to order a well done pizza from Trail's End, and use it the next morning for breakfast - preferably grilled with an over-easy egg on top.

10858887414_87d180fd6b_b.jpg

Sounds gross, looks weird, but I can honestly say this is some darn fine camping cuisine.

DH is in charge of breakfast when we're camping.  That usually involves english muffins, breakfast meats, eggs and some form of potatoes.  On this other morning, he realized we didn't have any potatoes - because even though we'd gone to the market and spent $90 somehow we came home with a pile of snacks and a pack of hotdogs.   8)

No problem - we have a golf cart, and the trading post has TATER TOTS!

10858781676_8bcf848a77_b.jpg

I love tater tots.  I almost never buy them because I'd eat them every day.

Someone making you breakfast outside that includes tater tots, and eating said breakfast at a picnic table at the Fort is pretty much perfect.  :D

Next up... Food & Wine Part 1

PS- Mo, you need a breakfast fatty! The inside is tater tots. And I'd very much enjoy that pizza.

Sounds right up my breakfast alley!

Pizza with fried egg is the best. I've never tried it with left over pizza but it looks good.

Breakfast looks great also. But all I could see was the BACON. Was there any tater tots?

Leftover Trails End pizza is actually better than fresh.   8)

BTW one thing we saw several times from our site along the road was a Flippers Pizza truck heading out from the Settlement Area.  I know there's been speculation that TE pizza is frozen - which it is, we saw them put one in this trip.  Seems like maybe it's coming in from Flippers - whomever that might be (never heard of them).

Time for a little Food & Wine!

For our first trip around the world we start by heading toward the UK pavilion.  First stop...

HAWAII

10858731735_154e40df71_b.jpg

Tuna Poke

The official menu lists this as "Tuna Poke with Seaweed Salad and Lotus Root Chips"

It was $4.00 and DDP Snack Eligible

This is one of my favorites - raw marinated tuna on top of a little yummy seaweed salad. They drizzle a little sauce on it that's soy based, but there's also a wee bit of a kick in there, so I suspect a touch of wasabi.  The sesame on tops ties in with the sesame flavor in the seaweed salad.  The lotus root chips on top are a nice crunchy finish.  They're delicious and and I'm looking to see if I can buy these buy the bags as they're even better than potato chips.  This is also a pretty decent portion for $4.

GREECE

10858882954_9f971a5ddf_b.jpg

Taste of Greece

Grilled & Marinated Calamari, Hitipiti, Eggplant Dip, Olives and Pita Bread

$4.00 and DDP Snack Eligible

I know this doesn't look super appetizing, but there was some very yummy stuff here.  The eggplant dip was quite tasty, loved the olives, but the hit here was the Hitipiti, which was a sort of yogurt-based dip.  The "calamari" was a bit of a disappointment.  There were just a couple of bites of it and it was kind of rubbery.

While I was in Greece, DH hopped over to

CANADA

10858727845_03d0f79c30_b.jpg

Beef Filet

Le Cellier Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce

$7.00 and DDP Snack Eligible

I know people rave about this, and it was definitely tasty, but our serving was way overcooked for filet - probably close to medium well.  The meat was flavorful and the sauce/mushrooms were delicious, but they kind of killed the meat IMO.

We didn't get too much further before...

IRELAND

10858774756_5a00672189_b.jpg

Lobster and Seafood Fisherman’s Pie

$6.25 and DDP Snack Eligible

I know it doesn't look like a whole lot, but this has been DH's favorite for the past few years.  Under the creamy mashed potatoes is a sort of pot pie mixture that includes potatoes scallops and a few chunks of lobster.  Very tasty.

Just a side note... I included info on if an item was DDP Snack Eligible because many are.  Usually DDP snack values are around $4 so it's interesting to note that the last 2 items above which are $6.25 and $7 are also included.  F&W is the one time of year we've considered getting the dining plan to be able to use the snack credits for this, but when we crunched the numbers it still didn't work out for us.

I had a couple of bites of the fishermen's pie, but was saving up for...

FRANCE

10858723715_881a3b9b36_b.jpg

We went the whole 9 yards here and got...

Escargots Persillade en Brioche (Garlic and Parsley Snails in Brioche)

$5.25, DDP Snack Eligible

Boeuf Bourguignon (Braised Short Ribs in Cabernet with Mashed Potatoes)

$5.50, DDP Snack Eligible

Eiffel Sour Cosmo Slush (Vodka, Grey Goose Cherry Noir, Grand Marnier, Cranberry Juice)

$9.75

Looking back I think I was too far into my escargots that I never even tried the Boeuf Bourguignon, but DH assured me it was delicious. They changed up the escargot a bit this year.  The little bread bowls used to have lids, and the snails/butter/sauce were totally contained inside.  This year the lids were gone and it looks like they just drizzled the butter/sauce all over the tops.  The end result was these were even butterier than before!  The snails were tender and deliciously swimming in the sauce. Oh-so-good.  This was also a dynamite slushie.  I wish they'd keep this one on the menu year round.

Ok, one more stop for this update...

JAPAN

10858721245_d018c9f0bf_b.jpg

Spicy Hand Roll

$4.95, DDP Snack Eligible

Sorry that picture is a little blurry.  How about this one...

10858722665_18e8133ebc_b.jpg

Yeah... we got 3 of them.  Most stops at F&W we get one thing and share, but this is one that's a favorite of both of us and DH insisted we get a "spare."

This is an inside out maki roll with delicious spicy tuna inside along with some cucumber, with some very yummy not-too-spicy mayo on top.  It's a hefty portion. As you can see its as big as the plate is wide. The strip of nori is there so that you can pick it up and eat it with your hands = "hand roll"

The tuna here is nicely spiced but not super "hot" and same with the mayo.  We went back for these again later on during our stay... a few times.   8)

Ok since we're just about halfway around the World at this point, I'll quit there for now.  Just one last photo.  From the US pavilion, DH's first delicious, cold Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on tap...

10859056463_550026d2b6_z.jpg

CHEERS!

GREECE

10858882954_9f971a5ddf_b.jpg

Taste of Greece

Grilled & Marinated Calamari, Hitipiti, Eggplant Dip, Olives and Pita Bread

$4.00 and DDP Snack Eligible

I know this doesn't look super appetizing, but there was some very yummy stuff here.  The eggplant dip was quite tasty, loved the olives, but the hit here was the Hitipiti, which was a sort of yogurt-based dip.  The "calamari" was a bit of a disappointment.  There were just a couple of bites of it and it was kind of rubbery.

I'm sorry, but that looks more like Taste Of Vomit.  

Tuna Poke was a winner - so were the Big Wave Golden Ale and the Pipeline Porter.

Canada - the less said the better! I have NEVER had anything good to eat at Le Cellier or the F&W Pavilion. Our Filet was cooked past well done and into the charcoal stage. The best thing that could happen to EPCOT - get rid of Canada entirely and put in a country that actually has cooks that know how to cook.

Cosmo Slush - NO THANKS! I could go with the Grey Goose Citron, however. Escargot - Yes. Beef Short Rib - yes. I wasn't fond of the chicken they had last year.

Spicy Hand Roll - the more the better.

America - avoid their lobster ... just saying. I passed up the beer in America ... because I had a flight plus an additional 22 oz beer from Germany.

Canada - the less said the better! I have NEVER had anything good to eat at Le Cellier or the F&W Pavilion. Our Filet was cooked past well done and into the charcoal stage. The best thing that could happen to EPCOT - get rid of Canada entirely and put in a country that actually has cooks that know how to cook.

Trust me on this....that would not be Russia.   :rofl3:

I'm sorry, but that looks more like Taste Of Vomit.  

Eggplant stuff definitely tasted waaaay better than it looked.

Tuna Poke was a winner - so were the Big Wave Golden Ale and the Pipeline Porter.

Ooh - forgot the Pipeline Porter.  YUM

I've had good meals at Le Cellier, but don't think it lives up to the hype. We've had way better steaks at Yachtsman. The best meal I ever had at Le Cellier was the steak tartar appetizer they took off the menu and the vegetarian entree.  LOL

Spicy Hand Roll - the more the better.

Agreed!!

America - avoid their lobster ... just saying.

Just can't bring myself to get the lobster offerings.  EVAH.  Lobster needs to be fresh - or buried in mac and cheese.  Just sayin.  8)

Besides, I can get a whole one here for less than their piece o' lobster costs.

Trust me on this....that would not be Russia.   :rofl3:

Although I'd imagine they could put up a spiffy beer kiosk!

Well that sounds like at least a decent Food & Wine booth!

And I like beets and weird cheeses. 

Interestingly, there were rumors floating around years back after the Soviet Union collapsed of a Russian pavilion at Epcot.  But then the financial calamity of the 1990's killed it...if it was even seriously considered in the first place.  

I remember that rumor. I vaguely remember seeing that there were actually plans floating around too at some point.

Even if they couldn't pull off a whole country pavilion, I am a little surprised Russia hasn't popped up as a booth at F&W

Seriously.  Imagine beef stroganov, chicken and cream crepes and a chilled vodka drink of some sort.  Yum.