We Ate Some Stuff

Ask and you shall receive!

1. I promise that all canines were present, although I don't have a ton of photos of them from this trip.

This is what you see if you look in the back seat at pretty much any point in our 1400 mile journey

10914920594_77c666d25f_b.jpg

Here are Brady and Lyn hanging out in their pen

10914916694_d1d28e5e14_b.jpg

Little Lyn remaining ever vigilant (oh and you can see how close we were to the sidewalk)

10914825916_5f67ddc883_b.jpg

While Brady and Lyn are content to hang out in the pen, Bz prefers the tie out.  In this instance she's pooped out from a romp at the dog park

10914832746_b01c1abb1d_b.jpg

Brady hanging out on his chair in the camper

10915048643_304481573b_c.jpg

Doggie dorm, located below the bar (see below for photos of the bar)

10915054673_807e41f33a_b.jpg

Luckily we had the portable pool packed as our pooches are definitely NOT used to the heat.  Lyn considers this her personal spa...

10914811216_6f54edc231_b.jpg

2. so some of you know that we have a bunk slide in our TT that we bought because it perfectly fit 3 dog crates - aka the doggie dorm.  Because it was a bunk slide, there's even a tv hookup there so we can leave them with something to watch while we're out.  Each crate is equipped with a comfy bed, water bucket, pillow, chew toy and Disney plush - which surprisingly none of them have ever shredded even though they're at least a couple of years old. 

We ripped out the couch and bunk to install the 3 crates... and then DH made and installed a bar above it for the 2 leggeds.

Here's what it looked like when we very first installed it a couple of years ago...

4906296800_937317f3a5_b.jpg

4906295994_7328f7b1d0_b.jpg

That top part actually opens up so that we can put a couple of fans in there that will blow down on the dogs if they need some extra air flow.

And here's what it looks like now and in use...

10915389066_c363152de6_c.jpg

10915390076_4e667c8387_c.jpg

Sooo.... when I post "the bar is open" I am not kidding!  :rofl2:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously.  Imagine beef stroganov, chicken and cream crepes and a chilled vodka drink of some sort.  Yum.  

Also as the Official Bartender of the NFO I must insist all libations must go through rigorous quality control testing. All samples must be a minimum of 16 oz and in a sealed unbreakable container. I

cinnamon rolls from disneyfood blog -  

Also as the Official Bartender of the NFO I must insist all libations must go through rigorous quality control testing. All samples must be a minimum of 16 oz and in a sealed unbreakable container. I will be PMing you the address to our two independent testing facilities in Oklahoma and Tennessee.

Long live the NFO!

Long live our Dear Leadee!

Long live Mo's Bar!

I am enjoying your report, Mo.

Love the tater tots for breakfast.  I always fix tater tots for breakfast when we're at the Fort, too.

It's interesting how many things you tried at the Food and Wine Festival that I didn't.  This year, we didn't stop at Hawaii or Greece.  Probably because we always took a left upon entering the World Showcase, and were stuffed by the time we got to Greece and Hawaii.  I also have never tried to snails, and I'm not sure that I ever will.  There are too many other things that I'd rather eat first.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about more of the stuff you ate.

TCD

Nice set up for the dogs.  I love their dorm rooms.

Can I be reincarnated as one of your dogs?

You might say they're a wee bit spoiled, but hey - it's their vacation too!  :)

bartender make them strong too

Indeed he does.

So your dogs' names are Jose, Jim and DeKuyper?

I think their names are Jose, Jim, and Jack.

They wanted all "J" names like the Duggars-19 kids and counting.

Now why didn't we think of that??

Beautiful.

I think I shed a tear when I say the bar.

Also as the Official Bartender of the NFO I must insist all libations must go through rigorous quality control testing. All samples must be a minimum of 16 oz and in a sealed unbreakable container. I will be PMing you the address to our two independent testing facilities in Oklahoma and Tennessee.

Long live the NFO!

Long live our Dear Leadee!

Long live Mo's Bar!

CHEERS!  :doublebeer:

It's interesting how many things you tried at the Food and Wine Festival that I didn't.  This year, we didn't stop at Hawaii or Greece.  Probably because we always took a left upon entering the World Showcase, and were stuffed by the time we got to Greece and Hawaii.  I also have never tried to snails, and I'm not sure that I ever will.  There are too many other things that I'd rather eat first.

It took us 3 separate trips to get all the way around and try everything we wanted to, and even then we missed a few things I'd have liked to try. We did make it back to the few things we enjoyed the most, which were the spicy hand roll, mongolian beef steam bun (coming up) and... escargot.  yum

When do we get to the caramel shop?

Seems like there should be a 30 pic update coming that is devoted to all things caramel.

Plus, I am sure you will provide some pics of those wonderful MSB cinnamon rolls.  Right?

Caramel shop is coming up next! 

As for the cinnamon rolls... 

:dmmhu:

Moving along...

CARAMEL SHOP!!!!

Because we were focusing on F&W, we snagged some deliciousness to bring home for later...

10858872264_0511dc69ab_b.jpg

I got the chewy caramel bar and DH the pecan bar.  Both have a delicious layer of shortbread under that amazing caramel.  I also snagged a dark chocolate sea salt caramel.  I'm still hoarding that for a rainy day.

Back on the Food & Wine front, this year the Cheese booth had a new offering...

10859053273_788e926552_b.jpg

That's the Almond Crusted Blue Cheese Soufflé with Fig Jam

$3.25 - DDP Snack Eligible

The lighting in that photo is poor but this was pretty amazing if you like blue cheese, and figs, and soufflés.  It was light and fluffy and melted in your mouth.  The sweetness of fig jam was the perfect balance to the blue cheese.

Next up...

CHINA

I was happy to see this return again...

10858715585_d0df222350_b.jpg

Mongolian Beef in a Steamed Bun

$5.00 - DDP Snack Eligible

Love this dish.  The beef was tender, the sauce flavorful without being too spicy and the steam bun is fluffy and chewy all at the same time.  And who knew a few fried noodles for crunch could add so much to a dish?

SINGAPORE

It took us a while to find this booth, as it had moved quite a distance from its location last year, and of course I'd forgotten to grab a map.  We didn't eat anything here, but we did have this...

10859049433_70c57c8e49_b.jpg

That innocent looking cup contains a Singapore Sling featuring Hendrick’s Gin and Cherry Herring (garnished with Cherry Man Farm-to-Market All-Natural maraschino cherry).  It costs $8.00 - quite a lot for such a small cup, right?

Well that little cup tastes like delicious cherries ...and will knock you on your hiney! Want the most alcohol bang for your buck at F&W?  Skip all the $9 slushies and $12 beers in the commemorative cups and get yourself a couple of these.

And a designated driver.

Since we only shared one of these little devils, we stopped off in Mexico for a fiesta frozen margarita...

10858759046_a7dd8714ba_c.jpg

As you can see, it was still quite hot that day and this melted super quickly.  Didn't make it any less delicious.

We had one last stop on this F&W outing...

ARGENTINA

10858760436_46773dd478_b.jpg

Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purée

$5.25 - DDP Snack Eligible

The beef here is good, and so is the puree, but the star here is the chimichurri sauce.  I've joked that you could pour it over rocks and it would be delicious.  I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

That's it for this round of F&W.  There will be more F&W coming up later on, but next up will be...

Lunch at Trails End, aka...

"I know fries are cooked, why can't they seem to serve them hot?"

OK as promised...

We had lunch at Trails End twice on this trip.  While I can rarely justify the cost for the dinner buffet (especially when I can get a GAG to go) I do like lunch at TE.  It's convenient, good and you don't need an ADR... at least we never have.  We've always just walked in and been one of just a handful of tables.

On our first lunch here, I was sad to see that the Oyster Po Boy was taken off the menu sometime recently, as I'd had it last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. In it's place is now...

Knife & Fork Shrimp Po' Boy
on Buttermilk Biscuits with Tasso Ham, Country Slaw, and Béarnaise Aïoli served with House Fries

$13.99

...which is basically the exact same thing, just substituting fried shrimp for oysters.  I figured, what the heck, let's give it a whirl.

10858757986_4662fcdcb5_b.jpg

It was very tasty if a bit over-salted. The shrimp were firm and nicely battered (not too much) and the sauce was creamy and accompanied it well.  I'm not really sure what the small slab o' "ham" was there for.  It tasted very good, but really seemed like an afterthought along the lines of "Oh wait!  We forgot the pork product!" 

DH got the same thing both times -

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger
with Candied Bacon, Hickory-smoked Sharp Cheddar, and Smokehouse Relish served with House Fries
$14.99

10858705475_ccacf0e88c_b.jpg

It's a very good burger, cooked to order with a nice fresh roll.

And while all those fries up there look pretty awesome there was just one problem... they were cold.   Like, not even lukewarm. In fact my shrimp were exactly piping hot either, which considering we waited quite a while for them, was pretty disappointing.

It should be noted at this point that we had Ed the server both times we ate lunch at TE.  Ed is a very pleasant older gentleman, but he's honestly not a very good server.  He never checked back with us either time, was slow to refill drinks (on this first trip he never did) and was even slower to bring the check.  As I said, he's a very pleasant man, but in addition to being somewhat inattentive, he also always seems pretty flustered and ... well, I guess I'm not sure being a waiter is the best position for him. Ed was nowhere to be seen to inform him that our fries were cold, so we pretty much resigned ourselves to eating them.

Turns out the woman eating next to us (also being served by Ed) also had cold fries.  She actually tracked Ed down to let him know, and we were able to chime in as he was walking away "ours are cold too!"

Ed returned about 10 minutes later with ONE order of hot fries and chastised us for not letting him know.

We'd already finished our meals by then.

Oh well.

Our experience with Ed was a bit better the second trip... a bit.  At least the fries were hot this time for DH's burger.  I decided to try something different this time and went with...

"BLT" Flatbread Bacon Marmalade

with Melted Cheddar and topped with Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Balsamic Drizzle

$13.99

10858634635_52161891bc_b.jpg

I really wasn't sure what this was going to be like and mostly ordered it because I saw someone else's.  It was great! The bacon "marmalade" was bacon-y and sweet all at the same time, and was really nicely balanced by the creamy goat cheese and balsamic, which all worked really nicely with the arugula.  The flatbread was nice and thin and crispy.  I thought this was going to be a nice light lunch, but it's a hefty portion and I actually didn't finish it.  I'd say if you weren't starving, or ordered an appetizer to share, you could probably split this among 2 people.

At this point I'm just kind of skipping around, but that's all for our Adventures in Trails End Lunches.  :)

On another occasion we wanted to grab something fairly quick and easy, so we headed to Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary.

I got...

Steakhouse Salad

with Marinated Beef, Red Onions, Goat Cheese, Tomatoes, and Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing

$8.29

10858856294_3546305538_b.jpg

This is a good and filling salad.  The beef is tasty and surprisingly tender, and there's a good amount of goat cheese.

DH got...

Chicken Basil Pasta

Orecchiette Pasta, Basil Cream Sauce, Mozzarella, and Feta Cheese with a Parmesan-Ciabatta Breadstick

$8.79

10858701155_3b6833a813_b.jpg

A tasty dish with a creamy sauce and decently cooked pasta.  Definitely filling and a decent value for the money by WDW standards.

In the Random Snacks Department, DH visit "the evil empire" on Main Street and got this on 2 separate occasions...

10858853944_b0e9159cd9_c.jpg

I think this is a Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuccino (or some similar longer-than-necessary name)

It's extremely delicious and caramely and sweet and I'll leave it at that.   8)

One of the very few ADRs we had this trip was for Cape May Cafe.  We'd never been but had heard good things so we gave it a shot.  For those that don't know, this is a seafood buffet over at the Beach Club.  In addition to the usual salads and sides - of which they actually had a really nice assortment - the night we were there they had a salmon dish, fried calamari, steamed clams, chowder, fish nuggets, a yummy paella and snow crab legs.  I didn't go hog wild with the photos here, but did take this one...

10858698635_bf5d6c5443_c.jpg

Gotta say that the crab legs here were a little disappointing.  Normally when you eat snow crab you can pretty much snap them open and pull out long chunks of meat.  With these you had to slice the shells completely open lengthwise and use your fork to scrape the meat out, which left you with a little pile of shredded crabmeat.  Getting the normally-delicious knuckle meat out was pretty much impossible without picking through shell fragments.  The cluster you see above on my plate was the only one I took and I gave up less than halfway through.

That said, the calamari was dynamite!  Definitely my favorite thing, although the paella was very tasty too if a bit over-salted. Actually I realized during this trip that almost all Disney food was heavy on the salt, and I'm someone that likes salt and uses quite a bit myself.

There was a dessert station with an assortment of bite-sized desserts...

10858746936_131b01d011_c.jpg

Clockwise from top... glass o' strawberry shortcake, boston cream cake, molten chocolate bits, lemon cheesecakes with graham crust and blueberry frosting.

All of these were good, but the cheesecakes were fabulous!

Next up... Tea Time Take 1