So it rained all afternoon and evening at the Fort...steady rain, and a good bit of it. Which caused a first for us...ants. lots of ants apparently trying to escape the wet ground. Saw a few on the wall of our motorhome and went outside to inspect and found a trail of them pretty much circling the coach, many trailing up along the slides. I had a can of raid and went to town...hopefully stopping the invasion. Whew!

I carry big granules for when we are camped in rougher conditions than the Fort, but spinkled some around the perimeter.

We've been here for 10 days and no ants anywhere to speak of but with the heavy rain tonite, wow! I just did a perimeter check and the spray seems to have done the trick. But for the ones that made it inside already...killing them as we see them. They are the tiny tiny black ones. They seem to gravitate to the highest point so at least they are easy to spot on our white ceiling.

Oh yuck! We are big fans of mixing borax with sugar to get rid of ants.[/quote

So the sugar attracts them and the borax kills them. Hmmm makes sense. As long as they are sugar-loving ants.

Don't know if your ants are the same as the ones we have here but we call those little suckers "sugar ants". So Beckers suggestion should work.

I know they were bad last Spring Break. I was hoping not to have to deal with them this winter. What kind of spray is being used on the perimeter? What kind inside?

All I had was your basic Raid crawling insect killer. It killed the critters lined up to get in our motorhome and stopped any additional ones from entering.

Like I said though we didnt have any issues at all until we got quite a bit of rain. Last night anyway they disnt seem the least bit interested in food but just to get to higher ground.

We hate spraying on the inside because of thw smell so hopefully we can rid them with non-smelly measures.

We ran into some fire ants in September; called Disney and they sent out their grounds crew to treat the area with granules which seamed to help. We have black ants often in our home here in GA (even with quarterly pest control.... they are persistent little things!) and the Terro liquid baits have worked the best for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yuck! We are big fans of mixing borax with sugar to get rid of ants.[/quote

So the sugar attracts them and the borax kills them. Hmmm makes sense. As long as they are sugar-loving ants.

This definitely works on regular black garden ants.  I have killed entire massive ant hills with 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of sugar.

I've never tried it on fire ants, no idea if they will eat it or not.