Wasn't sure where to post this so it ended up in general.

Anyone have a Dodge Ram tow vehicle with the dash falling apart?

If so, did Dodge do anything for you, or how did you go about fixing it?

I have a 2002, the first year they switched over to the "newer" style.

My dash is falling apart.  Seems like it was an issue with just this year, and of course Dodge is saying "Not our problem".

It's not a sunlight issue, or a Florida issue.  It's all over the country, outside parking and garage kept.

My truck still runs decent, but once the dash implodes I don't know how I'll be able to keep driving it.

The style you have went to 2008.  The next major update was 2009 with a mid cycle refresh in 2013. 

I know someone who had a 99 Ram with a split center console cover.  My 2009 Ram 1500 is fine, and that is with it sitting in the Florida sun all year. 

Is your dash splitting do to deterioration or is it actually falling apart?

You may also want to consider posting your question in the Ram section on the allpar.com forums.  There are many Chrysler techs and other owners there who may have more info.

The style you have went to 2008.  The next major update was 2009 with a mid cycle refresh in 2013. 

I know someone who had a 99 Ram with a split center console cover.  My 2009 Ram 1500 is fine, and that is with it sitting in the Florida sun all year. 

Is your dash splitting do to deterioration or is it actually falling apart?

You may also want to consider posting your question in the Ram section on the allpar.com forums.  There are many Chrysler techs and other owners there who may have more info.

From what I have read, it's only the first year, the 2002's that have the problem.

I've read numerous threads on different forums and they all say the same thing, Dodge won't admit they screwed up in the plastic formula and the lack of braces/support for the dash.

Both pieces of mine are broken, the dash part itself, and the filler panel between the dash and the windshield.

It's not the sun, or weather that have done them in, people have had them garage kept, in different parts of the country, etc.

Mine started breaking about 3 years ago and has gotten progressively worse.

Some have gotten the parts replaced at a cost of almost $1800, it's mostly labor.

It makes me sick each time I get in the truck.  Mechanical failures you expect over time, tears and wear in the upholstery are normal, but I've never had a dash fall apart like this.

And the worse part is there is really no good solution.

From what I have read, it's only the first year, the 2002's that have the problem.

I've read numerous threads on different forums and they all say the same thing, Dodge won't admit they screwed up in the plastic formula and the lack of braces/support for the dash.

Both pieces of mine are broken, the dash part itself, and the filler panel between the dash and the windshield.

It's not the sun, or weather that have done them in, people have had them garage kept, in different parts of the country, etc.

Mine started breaking about 3 years ago and has gotten progressively worse.

Some have gotten the parts replaced at a cost of almost $1800, it's mostly labor.

It makes me sick each time I get in the truck.  Mechanical failures you expect over time, tears and wear in the upholstery are normal, but I've never had a dash fall apart like this.

And the worse part is there is really no good solution.

For me, a cracked dash is one of the most annoying things to happen.  I'm a huge Chrysler fan, and have had only Chryslers since 1980.  None have ever had  a cracked dash.  My 04 PT Cruiser is over 295,000 miles and going strong.  Finally had to change the transmission at 292,000 miles, but since I did it myself, it was worth it.  Original engine.  My 09 Ram 1500 is terrific.

On allpar.com, the forum section is great.  There are messages there documenting instances where a dealer plays hardball.  There have been a few occasions where people finally contact Doug Betts, the head of quality control at Chrysler.  He is an outstanding guy, and in my opinion, with the exception of Sergio Marchionne, one of the people most responsible for Chrysler's turnaround.

The 2002 Ram 1500 is the first version of the Ram to be designed under Daimler.  Daimler did nothing but financially rape Chrysler and leave the bones to be picked, after $14 billion were gone.  As part of that process, interiors were cheapened greatly, hence the cracking.  They tried to go cheap, but went too cheap.  The 03 - 08 Rams weren't a whole lot better, but 09 is a whole new truck, both aesthetically and in terms of suspension and frame.  The 13 and up 1500's are even more improved having won Motor Trend Truck of the Year two years straight, something that has never happened before.  

Fortunately, the Ram is a solid vehicle mechanically, but that dash situation is awful.  I would email Doug Betts ( [email protected]  ) and explain not only your situation, but how widespread this is, and also how it would affect your inclination to purchase another Chrysler product.  Please understand though, that Chrysler is a new company trying very hard to repair the years of neglect and abuse at the hands of Daimler.  I will never own a vehicle designed under Daimler's rule.  The PT Cruiser, while produced while Daimler owned them, was designed prior to the "merger"/takeover/theft.  The basic engineering endured, but the cheapness overtook the designs.  My cousin was an engineer for Ford and he had many friends who were engineers at Chrysler when Daimler came in.  It wasn't pretty.

For me, a cracked dash is one of the most annoying things to happen.  I'm a huge Chrysler fan, and have had only Chryslers since 1980.  None have ever had  a cracked dash.  My 04 PT Cruiser is over 295,000 miles and going strong.  Finally had to change the transmission at 292,000 miles, but since I did it myself, it was worth it.  Original engine.  My 09 Ram 1500 is terrific.

On allpar.com, the forum section is great.  There are messages there documenting instances where a dealer plays hardball.  There have been a few occasions where people finally contact Doug Betts, the head of quality control at Chrysler.  He is an outstanding guy, and in my opinion, with the exception of Sergio Marchionne, one of the people most responsible for Chrysler's turnaround.

The 2002 Ram 1500 is the first version of the Ram to be designed under Daimler.  Daimler did nothing but financially rape Chrysler and leave the bones to be picked, after $14 billion were gone.  As part of that process, interiors were cheapened greatly, hence the cracking.  They tried to go cheap, but went too cheap.  The 03 - 08 Rams weren't a whole lot better, but 09 is a whole new truck, both aesthetically and in terms of suspension and frame.  The 13 and up 1500's are even more improved having won Motor Trend Truck of the Year two years straight, something that has never happened before.  

Fortunately, the Ram is a solid vehicle mechanically, but that dash situation is awful.  I would email Doug Betts ( [email protected]  ) and explain not only your situation, but how widespread this is, and also how it would affect your inclination to purchase another Chrysler product.  Please understand though, that Chrysler is a new company trying very hard to repair the years of neglect and abuse at the hands of Daimler.  I will never own a vehicle designed under Daimler's rule.  The PT Cruiser, while produced while Daimler owned them, was designed prior to the "merger"/takeover/theft.  The basic engineering endured, but the cheapness overtook the designs.  My cousin was an engineer for Ford and he had many friends who were engineers at Chrysler when Daimler came in.  It wasn't pretty.

Thanks for the insight and the advice.

I was always a foreign car guy, they had better quality then American ( this is going back when I first started driving in 1970). My only exception back then was a 1970 Road Runner that I bought used my senior year of HS in 1972.

I always thought American trucks were superior to their cars and to foreign trucks.

I had a couple of Jeep CJ 5's that would keep on going no matter what you threw at them.

As I got older I did have an American car or 2.

We currently have the Ram and a 2000 Durango (that's another story).

I really expected this Ram to last me for 200,000 miles plus.

Knew there would be mechanical issues along the way, but no way did I ever anticipate my dash collapsing into itself.

I'm leery about buying an aftermarket plastic dash cap, I think the extra weight would cause the entire dash to fall apart.

i would assume that under the dash area is a metal frame, so I doubt an aftermarket cap would cause an issue.  It may increase the detoriation of the existing dash though, so it would really depend on how much of the old dash it covers, and how much it depends on that dash for support.

To illustrate my point about the improved interiors post Daimler, compare your interior to the current Ram interior:

2013-Ram-1500-steering-wheel.jpg

i would assume that under the dash area is a metal frame, so I doubt an aftermarket cap would cause an issue.  It may increase the detoriation of the existing dash though, so it would really depend on how much of the old dash it covers, and how much it depends on that dash for support.

To illustrate my point about the improved interiors post Daimler, compare your interior to the current Ram interior:

Yeah, rub it in... :-)

Yeah, rub it in... :-)

Sorry, didn't think about it that way.  :bfart:

Trying to provide a bit of evidence that the condition of the dash is not indicative of how long your truck will last, nor is it an indication of the quality of Rams now.    :)

I need your address djsamuel. I need to send you a bill for the replacement cost of my keyboard.   :drool1:

I don't like how the center console takes away leg room in them.

My 09 does not have the center console.  You could get it without that.  Not sure about the 14's though.  The consoles are huge though, but when in one, for me anyway, they weren't an issue.  I'm 6'2", and fit with plenty of room.

Sorry, didn't think about it that way.  :bfart:

Trying to provide a bit of evidence that the condition of the dash is not indicative of how long your truck will last, nor is it an indication of the quality of Rams now.    :)

That was supposed to be a smiley at the end, somehow that odd one got in there.

It doesn't bother me.

That interior is a lot different than the 2002.

Is yours a 4 door? I wouldn't like the center console in just a 2 door, that would cut you down to 2 passengers.

I don't like how the center console takes away leg room in them.

I'm really not sure what you are referring to about taking away leg room, I find ample leg room and I'm 6' tall. I own a 2012 Longhorn, and I don't experience any more lack of leg room than in any other truck.  My Son has a Silverado and the leg room is no different than mine. 

That was supposed to be a smiley at the end, somehow that odd one got in there.

It doesn't bother me.

That interior is a lot different than the 2002.

Is yours a 4 door? I wouldn't like the center console in just a 2 door, that would cut you down to 2 passengers.

Yes, mine is a 4 door.  I don't have the center console, so I can fit 6 if I needed to.  I really didn't think the picture of the new interior bothered you, but also didn't want to make it appear like I was rubbing it in.

The 2009's and up really have a nice interior, and as a tow vehicle it is excellent.

I've always liked Chrysler products.

I had a Roadrunner in HS.

Worked at the Plymouth dealer when I graduated.

Really liked my truck when I got it, but the broken dash really soured me on Chrysler products now.

I've never been a Chevy or a Ford fan, so my options are getting narrowed down when it's time for a new truck.... which I was hoping wouldn't be for a long long time.

I've always liked Chrysler products.

I had a Roadrunner in HS.

Worked at the Plymouth dealer when I graduated.

Really liked my truck when I got it, but the broken dash really soured me on Chrysler products now.

I've never been a Chevy or a Ford fan, so my options are getting narrowed down when it's time for a new truck.... which I was hoping wouldn't be for a long long time.

If your truck is otherwise in good shape, check this out for only $94.99:

http://www.dashcover.com/dodgeramdash.html

I'm really not sure what you are referring to about taking away leg room, I find ample leg room and I'm 6' tall. I own a 2012 Longhorn, and I don't experience any more lack of leg room than in any other truck.  My Son has a Silverado and the leg room is no different than mine.

My leg or knee rest on the center console when driving. Does the same thing in the new fords. I bought one with out the center console. Which is not easy to find with leather.

At some point I would imagine a decent fix coming along. I know with the GM stuff that the common failures usually get a cost effective repair designed by an individual. Over time the poor engineering reveals itself on every vehicle. My running joke is that engineers think techs have hands the size of an 8 year old girl with the strength of Popeye. I see stuff all the time that could have been so easily done better but totally misses the mark. Unfortunately I only see it getting worse as the Manufacturers farm more work out to subs, they are given design paparmeters and a space to put it in with no regard for the other systems around it.