Camping Recipies

Camp Fire Potatos

small red potatos

garlic salt

pepper

butter

aluminum foil

Cut the potatos in 1/4 inch slices. Place the potatos on a sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with pepper and garlic salt and toss. Add chunks of butter. Place a second sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the potatos and fold the edges of the aluminum foil to seal tightly. Cook over your campfire until tender (30-45 minutes?). Enjoy. Great as a side dish with those grilled steaks!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews.  People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!  :rofl2:

The recipie is for a beef stew type dish

Ingredients:

chopped carrots, potatoes, onions, celery,

ground beef/veggie burgers torn into pieces (can do with hamburger patties too)

can of tomatoe sauce

salt and pepper

tabasco sauce

small amount of water

While one person preps the food have another start the camp fire

Take two good sized pieces of aluminum foil (or 1 long piece folded in half).

Inside of it you will place the ingredients that you plan to eat. Be sure to add enough tomotoe sauce to add taste (add just a smidge of water, not much is needed). Wrap the food in the aluminum foil (boat shaped, ball shaped, etc), feel free to get creative as it will help to identify yours later.

Place foil covered food in the fire pit (towards the outsides and under logs work well as they have the heat and accessability). Check on them after 20-25 minutes. If need more heat consider moving them. The average time too cook the food in the fire takes between 45-60 minutes. Just remember to check on them so that they do not get burned.

Potato Packs

Cut two each of foil for each serving, put in for each serving.

Slice potatoes thin

Cut up mushrooms

Cut up onions

Salt

Pepper

Lots of Butter

Sometimes when I am in a hurry I precook potatoes in Microwave

Wrap up in second piece of foil, put on coals when burned down, cook about 40 minutes or shorter if potatoes are precooked.

Enjoy!

tacomaranch is offline Report Post 

This is a yummy treat! First you need some dowels(1in.wide) (sp), get them at any hardware store, have them cut about the length of a marshmellow stick. On one end smooth and round it out. Once its all set clean and get ready!!!

You will need

spray ( like Pam) Pilsbury cresent rolls

whip cream jelly

cinamon/sugar

What to do

Spray the rounded end of the stick w/ the cooking stick. Cup the bottom of the stick with the dough (one piece of the dough), wrap around remaining dough around the stick ( makes like a french horn shape). Cook over the fire,turning the stick for even cooking. When dough is golden and puffy remove carefully. Fill with some of your favorite toppings. Whip cream and jelly, or cinnamon/sugar. Fun dessert!!

Okay, here's an old girl scout camp recipe that we used to do over a camp fire, but you could use the FW grills. Cut day-old french bread into good-sized chunks (big enough to slide onto a stick or skewer; 2-3"?), dip in Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk), and roll in coconut, finely chopped nuts, or sprinkle with cinnamon. Toast on a stick over grill or campfire until toasty, then eat. Be careful--it's sort of messy, but very yummy and very rich!

Easy Omelets - YUM!

Just take 2 eggs, crack them into a baggie. Seal the baggies and using your hands, squish the bag so the eggs scramble. Open the bag and add your favorite ingredients...shredded cheese, diced onion, chopped mushrooms, diced ham, green pepper, then seal the baggie and put into a cooler with ice.

When you're ready for breakfast, just drop the baggies into a bag of boiling water and it cooks up almost instantly!

Microwave Cake Recipe

For those of us who have the luxury of a microwave in our RV , I was at a wedding shower this past week and the bride received a silicone cake pan. According to the wrapping you can prepare a cake in the microwave using this type of pan. Does anyone have a recipe for this that you could make using a cake mix ? This would be great money saver at Fort Wilderness as my children would not be begging me to buy the chocolate cake they sell at the Meadow and Settlement. I have also heard you can cook desserts in a crockpot. Any camping friendly ones to share?

crockpot dessert

I have an easy and yummy one! 2 cans condensed milk...let cook on low for 4 hours , slice bananas into slices of your size choosing, spoon milk over bananas and let cool....pour herseys syrup over that...YUMMY and very rich...you may have to spoon instead of slice it but it is delish!!

Crock Pot recipe:

Boneless, skinless chicken breast. Place in crockpot. Cover with one jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce. Cook on low 8 hours. Chicken will be so tender and flavorful it will fall right apart.

For complete meal, cook up spaghetti and serve chicken over top. Add toasted garlic bread and a bagged salad.

Crockpot Lasagna

1. Make and freeze or refrigerate meat sauce before leaving home.

2. Buy oven ready lasagna noodles.

3. Defrost meat sauce, layer with noodles and cheese, cook on low about 3 hours and voila - you're done.

4. Depending on our mood we'll toss a salad and do garlic bread - or just have lasagna.

We usually do this on an afternoon that we spend around the Fort cause we are gone too long at the parks to do this one.

One of our crockpot favorites is to use either 4 chicken breasts or legs, or 4 pork chops, one can of cream of mushroom soup, and 1 envelope dry onion soup mix. Add two soup cans water and one soup can rice. Let it cook 6 hours or so on low. My family really likes this combination.

Sticky Chicken

An absoulte favorite of our family. It started as a camping meal that we brought inside.

Sticky Chicken

Favorite cuts of chicken (drumsticks seem to work best, but use what you like)

French Dressing

Orange Marmalade

Onion Soup Mix

Place chicken in a dutch oven (can also be made in a crock pot or oven). Pour ingredients over chicken. Cook chicken until done.

First time we did this we had half the camp ground coming over to find out what smelled so good. It smells wonderful, tastes fantastic, and is really messy to eat. Enjoy.

goofytime2000 is offline Report Post 

mexican crockpot chicken

2 or 3 frozen chicken breasts

1 very large jar salsa (or two smaller ones)

1 can cheese soup

(if you like your stuff spicier - like we do)

at least one jalepeno pepper seeded and chopped.

cook on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours.

can be eaten over rice, but we usually just use paper bowls and scoop it up with corn chips. it's a snack, it's a meal, it's both.

don't forget to toss some extra grated cheese, a dollup of sour cream and some chopped green onions on top of each serving if you feel like getting fancy.

crock pot sheppards pie

before you leave prepare and freeze:

browned/drained ground beef, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 small can peas (or corn, or what ever veggie gets you going), 1 small can mushrooms.

AND in a different container prepare and freeze:

mashed potatoes (we like to spike ours with some garlic powder and some grated cheese)

when you go to make it in the crock pot:

generally the two frozen things above are pretty much thawed so you can spread them in two layers (meat on bottom, taters on top) in your crock pot and cook on low for about 4-5 hours. (if you are going to be gone longer than that, you may want to add a bit of water to the meat mixture to keep it from drying out. have done this when cooking it on low for closer to 8 hours and it held up well.) TIP: freeze these items in large ziplocks or coolwhip/butter tubs. that way you can pitch them when you are done and not have to worry about cleaning and dragging home good tupperware from a camping trip.

OR

if you have a tall round crock pot like mine (as opposed to the crocks that are more wide and shallow)

freeze the above two mixtures (meat and taters) in empty large cool whip containers. plop them on top of each other, still frozen, in your crock pot. they are the perfect size.

Silver Dollars!

I didn't see any posts about silver dollars. Growing up a Girl Scout, we always made them at camp. I now make them for my family and they are a big hit!

I freeze hamburger patties at home (ground beef mixed with onion soup mix)

sliced or diced potatoes (or whole red ones)

baby carrots

broccoli (optional)

onion

At camp, put one patty and a handful of each veg onto a large square of heavy duty foil. Wrap it up and toss it onto the coals about an hour or two.

I've also done this at home in a reynolds cooking bag in a 9x13 pan, just put all patties on the bottom and toss veggies on top and bake. This is easier at home, since you can check for doneness without unwrapping each "meal."

Crockpot Desserts

We love to camp and we love our sweets but we get tired of the banana boats and s'mores all the time. So we pull out the crockpot and with 3-5 ingredients have amazing dessert. You can also use a dutch oven over coals. If you do this line your dutch oven with aluminum foil for quick clean up!

We make something called dump cake. The premise is a box of cake mix, filling, stick of butter/margarine and spices. Filling goes in the bottom, sprinkled with a box of cake mix, pour melted butter over that and sprinkle with spices.

Cherry Cordial/Black Forest dump cake is a can of cherry pie filling, box of devils food cake mix and stick of butter and a little cinnamon. Cook on low 4-6 hours

Tropical Delight is a can of pineapple tidbits(drained), can of cherry pie filling, box of coconut cake mix, stick of butter, sprinkle with coconut and cinnamon. Cook on low 4-6hrs.

Traditional Apple pie is a can of apple pie filling, box of spice cake mix and stick of butter. You can also use a yellow cake mix sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

Applesauce cake is a med-lrg jar of applesauce(chunky or smooth) and a box of spice cake mix, stick of butter.

Peanutbutter and fudge cake mix is so rich and gooey but yummy!

You can also mix pie fillings. Like cherry and apple. Blueberry and blackberry. Pineapple and cherry. Apple and cranberry. I use yellow or spice cake mixes with these.

Microwave Cake from Cooks.com

1 box reg. cake mix ( any flavor)

3 eggs

1/3 c. oil

1 c. water

Mix all ingrediants together and pour batter evenly into a microwaveable bundt pan or cake dish and microwave on medium high for 10 minutes, turning every 3 to 4 minutes if your microwave is not equipped with a turntable. If it's not done, keep microwaving it for intervals of 3 to 4 minutes. Cake is done when it pulls away from the sides of the dish and it looses its "wet" look and/or when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

A white or yellow cake will not brown in the microwave so if you will not be frosting the cake you may wish to use a chocolate mix. Any cake mix will come out very moist and delicious.

Not really a recipe but I like to buy several pounds of on sale ground turkey and brown it at home with onions and green peppers. I divvy it up in meal-sized portions and freeze in Ziplocs. Then at the campground I just add the ground turkey and whatever sauce I want to the crockpot.

Spaghetti: Add spaghetti sauce of your choice. Sometimes I add the noodles to the crockpot (macaroni works best for me), sometimes I cook them separately if we want real spaghetti. When I do the macaroni I stir it in after we get "home", top the whole thing with cheese and cook it on high for about 30 more minutes. We have a salad and garlic bread with this.

Tacos: Taco mix and water. We use this to make big taco salads with all the fixings: lettuce, tortilla chips, beans, canned chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, etc.

Chili: I add Trappey's red beans, black beans, canned tomatoes and chili spices. Sometimes I used frozen cooked and shredded chicken breasts instead of the ground turkey. We'll usually have crackers and some sort of fruit or fruit salad with this.

Sloppy Joes: I use Manwich sauce in the can when we're on the road. We like baked beans (I doctor up the canned ones with ketchup, honey and spices) and broccoli salad with our sloppy joes.

I set the crockpot on low before we leave and dinner is waiting for us when we return. Not exactly gourmet or super healthy, but cheap, filling and easy peasy after a long day at the parks. I don't usually use so much canned stuff at home but our trailer's fridge is small and, anyway, it's my vacation too!

We like to put 1 1/2 - 2 lbs - of round steak cut into serving sizes in the crockpot, cover it with dry beefy onion soup mix and 1 can cr. of mushroom soup and 1 can of cr. of chicken soup (the low fat soups work great). Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8. I serve it over baked potatoes done in a different crockpot or noodles if we have time.

Kielbasa and Brown Sugar

Here's an easy crock pot recipe. Get two links of Turkey or Polksa Kielbasa and cut into bite size pieces. Add about 3/4 cup of brown sugar and stir til all the kielbasa is covered. Heat on high for 3- 4 hours or low for 7-8.

This is a great appetizer or meal. When I serve it as a meal I cut back on the brown sugar I use. A nice salad and rice pilaf makes this quick and easy!