Camping Recipies

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews.  People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!  :rofl2:

Made this yesterday. Even better today...

Black Bean Chili

1/2 cup sherry or red wine [DON"T use Kungaloosh!!]

2 tbs olive oil

4 cups chopped white onion

1 cup diced carrot

1 cup diced celery

2 cups diced red pepper

*optional* 2 chopped jalapenos

2 tbs minced garlic

8 cups black beans, cooked [4 cans]

4 cups vegetable broth / stock [2 cans]

2 cups chopped tomatoes [1 can diced]

8 tsp chili powder

4 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp oregano

4 tbs honey

4 tbs tomato paste

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

saute onion in sherry and olive oil until translucent.

add carrots, celery and peppers; saute for another 5 minutes or until softened.

add garlic, saute another minute.

add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least an hour. add the cilantro at some point in the last hour so it adds flavor but doesn't totally turn to mush.

serve with sour cream, shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese, chopped jalapenos and more chopped onions if so desired].

*i usually don't add the jalapenos in and throw them on top of the chili so the kids can eat it.

ingredient and spice amounts are approximate. i usually wing it and adjust the flavor accordingly during cooking. this is a great and flavorful chili.

Does anyone have a recipe like a breakfast casserole? Sometimes when we go 4 wheeling I like having bacon eggs and hashbrowns but trying to get all of it done at the same time is a PITA. I've googled them but thought someone here might have a proven one.

Donnie - This is an old standard I have used for years.

BREAKFAST SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

2 pounds bulk sausage

10 slices bread (crusts removed)

butter, at room temperature

2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese

8 eggs

1 quart half and half

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons dry mustard

Brown sausage and drain on paper towels.

Butter a 9x13 ovenproof baking pan. Spread butter evenly on 6 slices of bread and layer in pan with the buttered side facing down.

Add a layer of sausage, spreading evenly, then add a layer of cheese.

Cover the sausage and cheese layer using 6 buttered slices of bread with the buttered side facing up.

Mix together dry mustard and salt. Combine milk, eggs, mustard and salt.

Pour milk mixture over top of bread and allow to stand overnight in the refrigerator.

The following day, bake at 350?F for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and allow 20 to 30 minutes before cutting into serving sized pieces.

Can be frozen. Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave.

Have you ever made a dump cake?  Well, when we're camping we make a dump cake over the grill/fire in a cast-iron skillet!!  It's so easy!  Here's how it goes:

1/2 stick butter (melt in pan over fire)

sprinkle one box of cake mix over the butter

dump in 2 cans of canned pie filling (cherry or apple, whatever)

dump in 1 small can crushed pineapple

top with pats of butter all over the top

Put a lid on it and let everything cook together about 10 minutes!  Don't let it get too hot or it will burn on the bottom.

This isn't a slow cooker recipe, but my family loves this... We usually cook with our little coleman stove- with a cast iron frypan-

Buy a box of *falafel mix*,I get it in the nature food section of my store, or international,- it's a dry mix in a box, you add about 1 cup water to it in a large ziploc, knead the dough, let it set for about 5 minutes to set up, while it's setting, heat up about 1/2 inch of oil in pan, then just scoop tablespoons into the oil, cook on each side, turning once for about 1- 2 minutes each, place on paper towels plate to drain and cool,and serve with slices of (our favorite) goat cheese- or you can use some mozzarella slices....

the whole batch takes about 10 -15 minutes, and it's our favorite tent camping food!(Along with good old hotdogs...)

This is not a recipe but a suggestion. We just bought a Kitchen Kettle made by Presto. It is a 6 quart electric pot with a nonstick surface inside and out. It can be used to steam, boil, or fry. It comes with a steamer/fryer basket. We have been testing it out this past week and so far it works wonderfully. It only cost us $22.00 at Wal-Mart. We have made pasta, instant mashed potatos, and chili in it. So far so good. We haven't tried steaming or deep frying anything yet. It is easy to clean out with the nonstick surface which is a must in our popup camper. We highly recommend it.

More suggestions here, mostly from my Mom whom I copy! We would always do some pre-cooking before camping and then there'd only be part of the meal to make which would be something fast. Like : 1) make meatballs & sauce at home, freeze them until that night, then just cook the pasta at the site & grab a loaf of french bread and dinner was done. Or 2) We would also do the same with the hamburger/spices/tomato sauce for American chop suey. And 3) cook cut up boneless chicken breast in gravy and freeze. Then we'd just make a couple boxes of stuffing mix and some vegetables and voila.

I make a doulble batch of taco meat. 1st night make tacos. Another night make taco salad.

Taco salad:

taco meat

lettuce

shredded cheese

black olives

crushed taco shells or nacho chips

sour cream

catalina dressing

chopped up tomatoes

thow it in a bowl mix and serve...

yummy yummy

Campers Beef Tip and Rice :

1 can cream of mushroom

1 can mushroom soup

3 and a half cups water

1 pkg. onion soup mix

1 lbs beef tips

rice

Mix soups and water. Place beef in slow cooker and pour mixture over beef. Cover and cook 6-8 hours. Add uncooked rice 45 min before serving, cook until rice is done ( 45 min. ). Enjoy!

Cheesy Slow-Cooked Chicken :

2 lbs. boneless chicken

2 ( 10 3/4 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup

1 ( 10 3/4/ oz. ) can of cheddar cheese soup

1 1/2 cup water

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

uncooked egg-noodles

Place chicken in the slow cooker. Mix the undiluted soups together with the garlic powder and pour over chicken. Add the water, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender. Add uncooked egg-noodles to slow- cooker 30 min. before serving. Yields 8 servings

Cowboy Sausage and Campfire Beans :

1 lb Italian sausage

1 ( 14 oz. ) can crushed tomatoes

1 onion, finely chopped

1 T. brown sugar

1 tsp. mustard

salt and pepper to taste

1 ( 15 oz. ) can baked beans

1 ( 15 oz. ) can kidney beans

6 slices bacon

Dump everything into your slow-cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Can be served with rice. Must be ate outside with a cowboy( if you have one) or by a campfire( not to close) them beans are mighty powerful.