Camping Recipies

If you are looking for a roast recipe you have got to try this one. It is from the What's For Dinner Thread on the Community Board. Everyone over there raves about it. I've made it a couple of times and it is great. Sounds kinds weird with those 3 envelopes but it makes a fantastic gravy. Serve with potatoes or make sandwiches!

beef roast

1 envelope Ranch dressing mix

1 envelope Italian dressing mix

1 envelope brown gravy mix

1/2 cup water

Place roast in a slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine mixes and water. Whisk together. Pour over roast. Add some cut up celery and carrots to the pot. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours until tender.

I also do this at home in the oven - 350 degrees for about 4 hours.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews.  People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!  :rofl2:

Here's one I got from Paula Deen's show:

Taco Soup

1 lb of ground beef, needs to be cooked first

chopped onion, to your taste

1 lg can of red kidney beans

2 sm cans of black or pinto beans (drained)

1 lg cans of chopped tomatoes

1 can of mexican style tomatoes

1 can stewed tomates (can use plain of for a little more kick get the ones with the grean chiles)

1 pkg taco mix

1pkg ranch dressing mix

Throw all of this in a crock pot and cook on low while you are at the parks. Serve with corn or tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese.

My family love this, my husband say it tastes like an inside out burrito supreme.

I make a Taco Soup similar to Paula Deens.

1lb ground beef browned with 1 chopped medium sized onion (drain off fat)

1 pkg taco seasoning

1 pkg ranch dressing mix

2 cans chicken broth

1 can corn (drained)

1 lg can diced tomatoes

1 can rotel tomatoes (mild, medium, or hot - whatever you prefer)

1 can pinto beans (drained)

1 cup instant rice

Cook until rice is tender.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and/or flour tortillas.

Upside Down Chocolate Pudding Cake

1 cup Bisquick

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup and 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 2/3 cup hot tap water

Mix bisquick, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. cocoa, milk and vanilla. Spoon batter evenly into lightly greased crockpot. Mix remaining sugar, cocoa and hot tap water. Pour over the batter that is already in the crockpot. Cook on high 2 1/2 hours or until batter no longer looks shiny on top.

*Note:* This ends up looking like a cake from the top, but when you slice (scoop) the cake, there is a layer of pudding underneath it. Very rich! Serve warm.

For microwave cakes, the typical recipe is one package of cake mix. One can of pie filling and 3 eggs. You can use chocolate cake with cherry pie filling, lemon cake with lemon pie filling. Spice cake with apple pie filling. Mix and match any flavors you want. I typically add 1/4 cup of applesauce to the mix if I use a pie filling with big chunks of fruit it in like the apple or the cherry. You microwave the cake on high for 1000 watt ovens just 1/4 of the time you would normally bake the cake. If you microwave has a higher wattage, microwave at 75% power. Let the cake sit for 1/4 of the microwave cooking time. When the cake is done, it will start to pull away from the edges. The center may still look wet, but during the cooling off time, the microparticles are still cooking the food eventhough the oven is off.

Or, you can take a can of german chocolate cake icing. Spread the icing on the buttom and sides of the pan. Make the cake according to directions. Use applesauce instead of oil for a lower fat cake...place the cake mix directly over top of the icing. Cook for 1/4 of the regular oven cooking time. Let cake sit for 10 minutes, then flip over onto a cake plate. Let the cake sit with the pan on top for another 10 minutes. The cake absorbs the liquid from the icing causing the cake to be really moist and yummy!

Crock Pot "Dump" Cake

I got this recipe from my cousin and make it often. It can be doubled, I increase the cooking time a bit. Great served over ice cream!

Lightly grease bottom of crockpot. Place one bag of frozen peaches or 2 cups of fresh sliced peaches. Add 1 TBSP cornstarch, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Toss to mix.

In a seperate bowl mix together 1 box of Jiffy white cake mix or 1/2 of a 181/4 ox white cake mix with 4 TBSP melted butter (mixture will be very thick); spread over fruit.

Cover and cook on high for 3-31/2 hours.

It comes out like a fruit crisp. You can use any fruit you want: frozen, canned or fresh. When using canned fruit I drain the liquid first.

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo

Makes 4 servings....Prep time 30 min. Cooking time 1-2 hours

8oz. pkg, noodles, or spaghetti (half a 16 oz. pkg.)

1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen broccoli

1 lb. uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed.

10 oz. can of cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese

1. cook noodles according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 4 minutes of the cooking time.

Drain

2. Saute the chicken in a non-stick skillet, or in the microwave, until no longer pink in the center.

3. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.

4. Cover and cook on low 1-2 hours, or until heated through and until cheese is melted.

Skillet AuGratin Casserole

1lb fully cooked kielbasa - cut into 1/2 inch circles

1 medium onion, diced

1 4.9oz package AuGratin Potatoes

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

2 1/3c water

2/3 c milk

1 Tbs Margarine or Butter

1 16oz package of frozen, mixed vegetables

Directions:

In a large skillet cook kielbasa & onion together until sausage is browned and onion is tender.

Add potato slices and seasoning envelope; milk; water; margarine; cayenne pepper; stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add frozen veggies, mix well, and simmer 10-12 minutes or until veggies are tender; stirring occasionally.

Makes 4 servings.

Crock Pot Roast

Items needed:

1 or 2 packs Lipton Onion Soup Mix

2 Cans Campbells Golden Mushroom Soup

1 Small Bag of Red Potatoes

1 Small Bag of Baby Carrots

1 Beef Chuck Roast

Water as needed

Salt or Pepper or extra onions to taste.

Place Chuck Roast in Crock Pot.

Mix both soups togeather with water as needed.

Pour over Chuck Roast.

Add Potatoes and Carrots.

Be sure of enough liquid to cover ingredients well.

Slow cook for 6 to 8 hours. Will be very tender. Feeds 4 people from a regular size crock pot. If using a larger pot adjust Beef and other items accordingly.

Required: aluminum foil

paper towels

long fire tongs

Ingredients: Serves One:

1/4 lb. hamburger

1 potato

1 carrot

katchup or BBQ sauce

1/4 onion, optional

Seasoning: salt, pepper, ...

Notes: Create a foil wrapper for each person by sandwiching a wet paper towel between two squares of foil. This will help even the heat and prevent burning.

Instructions: Wash, peel, and dice the vegetables.

With clean fingers, pull the hamburger into bits and place on foil wrapper.

Season hamburger and add vegetables and sauce as desired.

Fold foil into a flat package sealed well.

Place the dinner on coals.

Cook for 10 minutes, then flip and cook 10 more.

Unwrap and check one dinner to see if they are done.

I do this many different ways. You can do it on campfire or grill (gas or charcoal) --adjust time for grill (may need a little longer depending on heat). Also for an alternative to red meat, use boneless chicken breast and cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup (dont mix w/water, just straight from can) instead of katchup or bbq sauce. For chicken times may also need to slightly increase depending on temp and size of chicken. I had one huge piece of chicken that I did for my husband on gas grill and it needed about 40 min total (20 on each side)

**also make sure 2 layers of tin foil and paper towel in between.. I made the mistake of not doing this once and it burned the bottom of the meat (meat stuck to tin foil)...

***I have also veried ground beef and put a little chopped onion and green pepper and a little bread cumbs and an egg and shaped it in an oblong patty and put on bottom and placed veggies on top and used some canned meat loaf fixing sauce and pour that over it... mmmmm good... It's like your own personal meat loaf.... (also lengthen time for this as well)

ENJOY.....

Homemade chicken and rice soup. I save the drippings from when I roast a chicken in a freezer bag along with some bits of chicken, take it out of the freezer, put in large pan, add a large can of chicken stock, 2 cups of cooked minute rice, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Great tasty, quick camping lunch.

We bring homemade sandwich spread camping

bolonga ground

sweet relish

Mayo

mix and put in ziplock bags or premake sandwiches. Put them in the freezer and let thaw in the refrig.

We also bring our small george foreman grill to the resorts to make grilled cheese, french toast and other items in our room when we bring the teenagers who are always hungry.

One of my family's favorites was baked ziti. Here is a recipe for that.

1 pound ground beef--(you can also use sausage if you prefer, and to attempt to make this a little healthier, morningstar farms makes sausage crumbles that are vegetarian and low fat, but I swear even the most carniverous wouldn't know it, and as a bonus it doesn't really need to be browned beforehand.)

1 medium onion

2 tsps. dried Italian seasoning

1/2 tsp. salt

2 jars (apx. 25 oz. each) pasta sauce

1 container (15 oz.) ricotta cheese

2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided

1 cups grated Parmesan cheese

1 box (10 oz.) ziti noodles

Cook ground beef and onions in a large skillet over medium-high

heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink. Stir in

seasonings to evenly coat meat; stir in pasta sauce. Set aside.

Mix 1 cup mozzarella, the ricotta and Parmesan in a medium bowl.

Spoon 2 cups of meat sauce into 5 - 6 qt. slow cooker. Top with 2

cups ziti. Drop half of the cheese mixture, by rounded tablespoons,

over ziti; carefully spread over ziti using back of spoon. Layer

with 2 cups meat sauce, the remaining ziti and remaining cheese.

Add remaining meat sauce, completely covering all the ziti and

cheese. Place lid on slow cooker.

Cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or until

noodles are tender.

Carefully remove lid to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle with

the remaining 1 cup mozzarella; let stand 10 minutes until melted.

Triple Chocolate Mess

Ingredients

1 package chocolate cake mix(any)

1 pint sour cream

1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding(any size)

1 6oz. bag chocolate chips

3/4 c. oil

4 eggs

1 c. water

Instructions

Spray crock pot / slow cooker with non-stick spray. Mix all ingrediants. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Try not to lift the lid. Serve with ice cream.

Another yummy recipe

This one may be a bit more complicated at a campsite...

I'll try to make adjustments to make it easier

1 big bag of frozen chicken breasts

1 small can of green chiles, chopped

1 can nacho cheese soup

1 beer (you can leave out for a less "soupy" mix)

garlic to taste (we use a LOT)

put all this in the crock pot and cook all day

shred the chicken and wrap in flour tortillas (maybe 10 or so), line them up in baking dish

pour the sauce & ONE CAN ENCHILADA SAUCE over the top of the tortillas

top with a bag of SHREDDED CHEESE

heat in oven until really good a bubbly

Okay, if I was going to do this without an oven...

I'd include the shredded cheese in the flour tortilla with the chicken, put it on plates and cover with sauce & enchilada sauce

If you like things spicy, include a can of jalapenos in the crock pot mixture

These are always a huge hit at football parties and such, great thing is that I can make them in the oven, cover with foil, wrap with a beach towel and they're warm enough to serve

Actually, if you had some steamed rice or even some corn chips crunched up, you could top with everything and still have a great meal.

Camping Breakfast

Ingredients:

eggs

potatoes

bread

bacon (turkey bacon)

pepper

salt

onions

pam

butter

chop the potatoes into fine slices

chop the onions

cook in a pan for about 15 min (until golden brown)

add salt/pepper

put on plate rap in tin foil to keep it warm

cook the eggs (any style u want)

Put bacon on and toast toast

plate and serve

Here are two ideas

The first one I use to do in scouts. Dutch oven Pizza:

Use a tube of dinner rolls a small can pizza sauce and a regular size bag of mozerella cheese and any other ingrediants you like on pizza. Use the rolls as the crust in the bottom of a greased dutch oven put on the rest of the stuff and cook over a fire makes a nice thick crust pizza. Try to keep it on a cooler part of the fire so the bottom does not burn.

The other is a skillet breakfast.

One bag Potatoes O'Brien

1 smoked Sausage

1 dozen eggs

1 tsp veg oil

salt and pepper

Start with the potatoes and oil in the skillet cover cook approx 5 min

add the sausage

when this mixture is about done add the eggs beaten like scramble cook while stiring until eggs are done season to taste. Feeds 3-4 Firemen.

Bonus scout recipe:

If you are having a large gathering have everyone bring a can of their favorite soup mix together and serve with chowmein noodles. You would be surprised at how good the mixtures taste.

Lemony Steak

I'm planning our first trip to our seasonal campground this next weekend and I just finished my meal plan. Here is one right from Best Recipes cookbook, but I don't think they'll mind. In fact I highly recommend any of their cookbooks I use them all the time.

1 - 1 1/2 lb beef flank steak

1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel

1/2 cup lemon juice (I say you have to use FRESH - no yellow plastic bottles please!)

2 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried oregano crushed

1/8 tsp pepper

Grilled lemon wedges (optional)

Shredded lemon peel (optional)

1. Trip fat from steak. (I've heard of people doing that, but I've never tried it. Fat is where the flavor lives!)

Score both sides of steak in diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts in 1-inch intervals. Place teak in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. (or flat and just turn regularly - no biggie).

2. For marinade, in a small bowl, combine the sauce, oregano and pepper. Pour marinade over teak seal bag; turn to coat steak. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours; turn occassionally. (I am making mine 2 to 3 days ahead and throwing in a zip lock).

3 Drain Steak, reserving marinade. Grill steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 17 to 21 minutes or until medium doneness (160 degrees) turning and brushing once with reserved marinade halfway through grilling. Discard remaining marinade.

4. To serve, slice steak across the grain, If desired, serve with grilled lemon wedges and garnish with additional lemon peel. Makes 6 servings. (I make a double batch - great leftovers if there are any.

I know this may seem like too much work to some but I love to cook and I will have it ready to grill before we leave for campground. I'm only 4 hours (tow time) from the Fort so I can get by with preparing before we leave.

I love this recipe by the way, it is a regular on our table.

Grilled Banana Split

Also trying this one:

3 medium bananas, cut into 1-inch chunks

1 1/2 cups large strawberries, halved

1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks

1 pint vanilla ice cream

1/2 cup carmel and/or chocolate ice cream topping

chopped nuts

whipped cream

maraschino cherries

1. Soak eight 6 or 8 inch wooden skewers in enough water to cover for 30 minutes; drain. Alternately tread bananas, strawberries, and pineapple onto skewers, leaving a 1/4 inch between pieces.

2. Grill fruit skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals about 5 minutes or until fruits are warm and bananas are lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove from grill.

3. Place a scoop of ice cream and 2 fruit skewers in each serving dish. Drizzle with carmel and/or chocolate ice cream topping. Go wild with the other suggested toppings.

Does anyone know if you could pre-make kabobs and freeze this kind of fruit?

Sounds yummy though doesn't it?

We love campfire eclairs.

I can of pillsbury croissants

vanilla pudding

chocolate frosting

Use your marshmellow stick and wrap a big clump of aluminum foil around the end. Wrap one or 2 croissants around the end and cook over fire until golden brown. Carefully remove the cooked croissant from the foil (the smoother the foil the better). Place vanilla pudding in a ziplock and cut off one of the bottom corners. Gently squeeze the pudding into the croissant cavity. Add frosting to the outside and enjoy.

These can be a little messy, but very yummy

Hawaiian Chicken Kebobs

1 pound boneless skinless chicken

1/2 med. pineapple

1 med. green pepper

1 med. sweet red pepper

1 large onion, spanish

1/4 cup orange juice or pineapple juice

3 med. garlic cloves

2 Tb. soy sauce

1 tsp. olive oil

cooking spray

2 cups white rice,kept hot

cut each chicken breast, pineapple, peppers, and onion into approximately twentyfour one inch pieces. Combine chicken, pineapple juice, garlic, soy sauce and oil in a large bowl and marinate for at least 1 hr. up to 24hrs.

Lighly coat veggies with cooking spray. Thread chicken and veggies onto skewers. Brush with marinade. Grill over med. heat. Serve over rice.

This may sound very weird but I have gotten some great reveiws on it!

This all started as an elaborate plot to make the worlds most caffinated breakfast. In turn, I have invented the world's first Mountain Dew bassed Jelly!

core and peel one red apple and slice into bite size peices. Put a light coting of Mountain Dew in the bottom of a small frying pan. Gently fry till carmalized!

Then in a seprate pot pour apple peices into two cups of Mounain Dew and bring to a boil. Stir in Blackberry flavored Jello and stir stir stir!

Turn down the heat a bit and add two cups of sugar. Stir till everything's disolved. It dosn't take long

Next take a lemmon, chop in half and squeeze the juice out and stir into the mix.

Next remove from heat and chill until it looks like jelly, spread on your toast or bagal and enjoy with a glass of Dew or coffee!