Camping Recipies

Pork Tenderloin in the Crockpot

OK, this is cooking *my* way! You need 3 things....

A whole pork tenderloin

a can of cranberry sauce (any kind)

an envelope of onion soup mix (any kind)

plop it all in the crockpot, cook it till you can't stand the smell any longer..... we eat it sliced one night, and shredded on sammies the next night. Yum-O!~!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews.  People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!  :rofl2:

Microwave Pork Tenderloin

If you have a microwave, you can cook a pork tenderloin in the microwave in ten mins or so. (safe temp is 160.) Just add your favorite spices. You could also marinate before cooking. ( this is a fast and easy receipe we use all the time during baseball season.) serve on rolls as sandwiches or plain with easy sides or salads. (also this is great in your salad.)You really wont beleive how moist this is even though done in micro. Delicous******

Crock Pot BBQ Roast Sandwiches

Also we do bbq roast sandwiches. I cook a roast in the crockpot at home. Shred it and put in the freezer. When you get to the camp site and are ready to cook it, just dump it in the crock pot and pour bbq sauce over it and leave it on low or even keep warm for a few hours and it is ready for sandwiches when you return.

Cheese Steak Sandwiches

1 1/2 pounds top sirlion steak

bell pepper, 1/2 in. slices

large onion, 1/2 inch slices

8 ounces mushrooms,quartered

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tsp. garlic powder

2 tbsp. onion soup mix

2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce

1 cup mayo

1 tsp minced garlic

6 slices provolone cheese

6 sandwich rolls

Slice steak into very thin slices. Place in a large ziploc bag.

in another bag place veggies.

whisk together olive oil, garlic powder, onion soup mix and worcestershire sauce. Pour half on steaks and half on veggies. Marinate.

Combine mayo and minced garlic.

Preheat saute pan on grill. Saute veggies 10-15 min. Grill steak,

Spread rolls with garlic mayo. Fill rolls with steak, veggies & cheese. Wrap sandwiches in foil and place back on grill to melt cheese.

Tip- put steak in freezer for a while to make it easier to slice.

I use a little extra meat and cheese.

OR

Walmart sells a box with about 4 patties in it. It takes about 3-5 mins even from frozen. Just add your favorite seasonings.

My favorite campng dessert (ok, besides smores. But smores aren't a dessert as much as a staple) is banana boats.

Take banana, do not peel.

Slit it from top to bottom, and fill the slit with mni-chocolate chips, mini marshmellows and pecans. Wrap in foil, throw them on the coals. These are always a favorite on the night we made foil pack dinners.

Ham Steaks on the Grill

Here is a very EASY camping recipe.

Get two ham steaks. Mix 1/4 c lemon juice, 1 c packed brown sugar, 1/3 c horseradish. Mix together and warm in the microwave for 1 min.

Place the ham steaks on the grill and continously baste. Cook about 6 mins per side while basting with the sauce.

The ham turns out great with a wonderful sweet flavor! Even my husband who really does not like ham b/c of the saltiness, likes this recipe.

Wrap up some sweet potatoes in foil and stick on the grill and micro some green beans and you have an easy, healthful meal!

THE MOST DANGEROUS CAKE RECIPE IN THE WORLD

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

A small splash of vanilla extract

1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

This is one of our favorites

2-3 lb pork loin (trim excess fat)

1 package dry onion soup mix

splash of water

Put in crock pot overnight

Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat and add your favorite bbq sauce and keep on low for the rest of the day (make sure you use the juice in the bottom of the crockpot too). Serve on rolls for lunch or dinner.

Sometimes we freeze it before we head to the fort and then defrost and throw it in the crockpot with the bbq sauce.

Favorite Pot Roast

I make this even when we are at home and the kids literally fight over the leftovers... we usually serve it with mashed potatoes but its also yummy over rice...

4-5lb beef roast

1 large onion- sliced

2 or 3 packs of sliced Baby Bella mushrooms (jarred can also be used)

2 cups of beef stock

2-3 cups of dry red wine

4tsp minced garlic (i use the jarred type)

put mushrooms and onions in the bottom of the crock pot, place roast on top and top with garlic, stock and wine. cook 8-10 hours depending on size of roast... enjoy..

this also works great for a french dip style sandwhich- I usually get some fresh bread, a few slices of swiss cheese top with the shredded up roast and dip in the Au Jus... mmmmmmmm...

E-Z donuts

1 package of premade biscuits uncooked [not the flaky layers kind]

vegetable oil

powdered sugar

cinnamon

milk

open biscuits, separate, flatten somewhat, cut out center, place in hot grease till golden, flip till golden on 2nd side

place powdered sugar, powdered sugar & cinnamon or mix powdered sugar with milk to form a glaze [ you can add chocolate to the glaze also] on the fresh hot donut

Each time I camp, there are certain breakfasts I must have:

1. Bologna & cheddar on toast

Cook the bologna on the bbq or campfire! If you're using a grate or pan, after you turn it over, put some cheddar cheese on it, and eat it on toast with some dijon and mayo! A cup of hot tea, and it's a beautiful outdoor handheld brekkie.

2. Bacon & eggs on toast

Always cooked in a cast iron frying pan. And save the grease for the campfire later

3. Homemade pancakes with real maple syrup

Mix dry ingreds in baggie at home, and just add water/milk or yogurt, egg if needed

4. Grilled cheese sandwichs w/ fresh sliced tomato

We try not to use many disposables, because it just seems to conflict with getting back to nature, but my sister came up with a perfect item for storing/ washing/ drying dishes:

She bought a plastic box with hinged lid. The box is just about the size of a dishpan. And the opened lid makes the perfect slant to use as a drain board. She use a hole punch & mallet to punch holes at the bottom of lid for drainage. And when the dishes are dried, and the pan as well, just stow the dishes in the box and close it!

Pulled Pork BBQ sandwiches:

The night before, I throw the largest pork roast I can find (or two smaller ones) into my slow cooker before going to bed. I season with roughly a teaspoon of onion powder, a half teaspoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of paprika, a half to full cup of brown sugar (depending on your taste), along with salt and pepper to taste. I fill with water until it is about a half inch below the top of the cooker. I cook it on medium heat overnight.

The next morning, I take it out of the cooker and put it on a plate in the refrigerator so that it becomes cool enough to handle, covered with foil. During lunch, I pull it apart (it will practically fall apart) making sure to exclude the remaining fat. I return it to the crockpot on low and mix it with a can of tomato sauce and enough BBQ sauce so that it is nearly too wet. I add back water if need be. Stir well, cover, and forget until supper.

For supper, I heat baked beans in the microwave, open a bag of chips, and spoon the pork onto buns. Great meal with minimal effort.

I have so many camp favorites, but most include the grill. Some are unusual which come from my Vietnamese roots, but most of it is standard fare.

Petro-chili, chips, & cheese

I am making these right now, which reminded me we ate them while camping last Summer. I scanned through the 9 pages of recipes and did not see it -at least I don't think I did.

Petro's is a chain in East Tennesse that was "born" during the 1982 World's Fair here.

The chili can easily be prepared ahead of time and frozen. This is prepared individually in a layered fashion. Fritos in the bottom of a bowl, chili, shredded cheddar cheese, dollop of sour cream, diced tomatoes, cut up green onions, and sliced black olives. That is an "Original Petro".

It's similar to a taco salad, but with Fritos and chili. It is a staple food here in the Fall, but we eat it year around.

*All you Gator fans, if you've ever been to a TN/FL game here in Knoxville, you've probably seen (and maybe eaten) a Petro as they are in Neyland Stadium.

These work on the campfire or even on the grill...

Banana Boats

Ingredients:

Ripe Bananas

Chocolate chips (dark, milk, white, butterscotch... whatever your favorite flavor)

Mini Marshmallows (or big ones cut into pieces)

Other: heavy tin foil

Cut the stem end of the bananas. Peel a strip out of inside curve of the banana, about 1/2-3/4" wide. Take a knife and make a slit through the center of the banana (don't pierce the skin on the opposite side).

Stuff chips and marshmallows into the banana. Wrap in heavy foil and put on the coals of the fire or on the grill on low, cut side up. Cook until gooey/melted in the middle, and the banana is warm and soft. It's ok if the skin browns/burns a little, it will protect the banana inside. Eat with a spoon!

Other yummy stuffing options:

Caramel

Peanut Butter

Jelly

Heath Bars

Butterfingers

...use your imagination!

Orange Muffins

Here is one of their faves:

Orange

Chocolate Chip Muffin Mix (or whatever floats your boat)

Cut the orange in half and scoop out the insides. (eat it)

Mix the muffin mix as per the directions.

Pour the muffin mix in 1 of the orange halves and cover with the empty half. Double wrap with tin foil and put on hot coals for 40 mins or so.

The muffin will cook into a big ball and will be hot and delicious with a hint of orange flavour.

Awesome!!

If your camper/RV has a microwave (we actually do these at home on busy school/work mornings too)... take a microwavable bowl (I use a large ramekin), spray with Pam, crack 2-3 eggs in each bowl add diced veggies, ham, whatever and sprinkle with cheese... cook on high 1 min. 30 seconds... depending on microwave and how many eggs you use. It's good, fast, easy clean up, healthy... you are assembling, cooking and eating out of just one bowl. It kinda looks like a souffle.

Bannock with Bear Grease and Ants

With such an alluring name how can you go wrong?!

Mix Bisquick (biscuit mix) with milk, make it nice and thick. Roll it into long snake like thing and wrap it around a stick. Cook over open flame until puffy and browned. Dip in melted butter, then cinamon and sugar. This is so delicious and is a campfire favourite.

Bannock-bisquick

Bear Grease-butter

ants-sugar/cinamon

Egg Mcmuffins

Spray Pam in a mug, crack an egg in the much and cook in the microwave, then warm up some ready made bacon in the microwave and put both on an english muffin. THis is the Easiest breakfast ever!! The kids absolutely love them and they take no time to make! THe only dish you will have to clean is a mug. That's my kind of Breakie!

I am adding crock pot to my "camping list" now. Loving the recipes I have a small toaster oven that I take also, which common items can be cooked, toast (duh), canned biscuits, small pizza, (which I don't do) But anyways, I thought I would add this as a snack suggestion. My mom did this for me when I was little and I still love it

Take saltine crackers and spread peanut butter (anykind-I am a Peter Pan kinda gal) then add a marshmellow on top (big sized ones) put in toaster over until browned and remove. Then kinda smush down the marshmellow and you have an out of this world snack. I actually like this better than smores (don't tell everyone that I said that) I have never tried this over a campfire, but you could do it

We love to cook breakfast outside in the mornings. We have a Presto Griddle and the coffee pot always set up outside the travel trailer. Get the coffee going -cook whatever breakfast meats. Love the "Pancake Mix" in the yellow bottle?? I think Bisquick or Pillsbury?? Not sure the brand name! We always purchase when we go... Follow instuctions - but add a twist. For Thanksgiving and Halloween we add some canned pumpkin, spices and make pumpkin pancakes -top with crushed pecans and Whip Cream, or add some fresh blueberries, bananas or chocolate chips.....Love to cook outside of the camper! "The Great Outdoors....") ..

Merry Christmas Recipe

1/2 cup Hugs

4 teaspoons Kisses

4 cups Love

1 cup Special Holiday Cheer

3 teaspoons Christmas Spirits

2 cups Goodwill Toward Man

1 Sprig of Mistletoe

1 medium-size bag of Christmas Snowflakes (the regular kind won't do !)

Directions:

Mix hugs, kisses, smiles and love until consistent.

Blend in holiday cheer, peace on earth, Christmas spirits and good will toward men.

Use the mixture to fill a large, warm heart, where it can be stored for a lifetime, (it never goes bad !).

Serve as desired under mistletoe, sprinkled liberally with special Christmas Snowflakes.

It is especially good when accompanied by Christmas Songs and family get-togethers.

Serve to one and all.

Nacho's in a bag!!!

Here is a quick meal idea and kinda cool as well...learned it at cubs with my son.

1 personal size bag of Doritos

diced tomatoes

diced green peppers

favorite salsa

sour cream

cooked hamburger meat

Take the bag of Doritos and open it....squish the bag till the Doritos are all broken into small pieces.

Add the tomatoes, green peppers, salsa, hamburger, and sour cream RIGHT INTO THE BAG OF DORITOS!!

NACHO'S IN A BAG....ITS WICKED

This recipe started out as so much more but here ya go.....

Boil in large pot 6 cups of water

Chop 1 box of red link smoke sausage

(my family likes them kinds thick but any with would do )

Saut? in pan with Worcestershire sauce till light brown

Add three cups of rice and sausage to pot of water

add salt to taste

Cover until rice is done..

Family really loves this and it is simple to make.When my mother used to make this she would also put chopped red and yellow bell peppers, onions and also one can of cream of mushroom soup. But my family is full of picky eaters that it has turned into rice and sausage.