I never would have imagined bringing a crockpot camping. That is a great idea but where the heck do you find room to store it. I have a hard enough time with what we already bring. As far as our menu goes it's burgers, steak, burgers, pasta salad, & burgers again. But we usually eat out when we are the fort.

The fiends are always welcome to come over & eat.

I learned how to do baked potatoes in the crock pot last year, we top them will pulled pork, cheese, ranch dressing and what ever else we have a hankering for :rofl2:

4 baking potatoes

1 tablespoon EVO

kosher

4 sheets aluminum foil

Wrap, cook for about 6 hours for a medium size potato, top with the fixin's enjoy!

This sounds great! Do you set the slow-cooker on low or high? Thanks for the tip! :banana:

I learned how to do baked potatoes in the crock pot last year, we top them will pulled pork, cheese, ranch dressing and what ever else we have a hankering for :)

4 baking potatoes

1 tablespoon EVO

kosher

4 sheets aluminum foil

Wrap, cook for about 6 hours for a medium size potato, top with the fixin's enjoy!

I set mine on low, I have never tried to do it on high but I assume it would work :)

This sounds great! Do you set the slow-cooker on low or high? Thanks for the tip! :wiz:

OK! I need all your camping dates at the fort and what your serving each night! I will make my dinning reservations according to who's cooking what. Who needs disney dinning plan when theres fiends cooking such good vittles!  :rofl2:

Are you sure your name is not Donnie? :rofl2:

OK! I need all your camping dates at the fort and what your serving each night! I will make my dinning reservations according to who's cooking what. Who needs disney dinning plan when theres fiends cooking such good vittles!  :rofl2:

I never said it wasn't.  :rofl2:

OK! I need all your camping dates at the fort and what your serving each night! I will make my dinning reservations according to who's cooking what. Who needs disney dinning plan when theres fiends cooking such good vittles!  :)

Have  :fork: will travel :rofl2:

OK! I need all your camping dates at the fort and what your serving each night! I will make my dinning reservations according to who's cooking what. Who needs disney dinning plan when theres fiends cooking such good vittles!  :)

As long as you don't call me up at 11pm and whine for a grocery list when I am not camping with you... :rofl2:

All these great ideas are making me hungry. Maybe my approach is too simplistic.

1) some kind of meat

2) some kind of bottled sauce

3) crock pot

4) kill 6-8 hours

5) consume mass quantities.

:rofl2: I like the way you think!

Last year, I started fooling around with a cast iron Dutch oven and the campfire. A gal did Dutch oven cooking for a year last year and blogged about it at http://dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com/. She's not doing it now, but the back issues are well worth a read -- TONS of recipes.

Can't wait to get back at it this year!

Then there's our/my favorite, the pie iron. I've got a boatload of recipes for those if anyone wants 'em.

Kate

As I'm planning a camping menu now, it dawned on me I've got more up my sleeve than my Dutch oven and pie irons. (Shocker!)

I have an electric skillet in the camper that is about 80 years old but still works like a champ (well, I have to kind of guess at the temperature, but be that as it may...). It's so easy to whip up taco salad or pork chops or whatever on that. I did crab cakes for hubby's birthday up at the lake last year. I usually set it out on the picnic table to cook if it's something stinky like crabcakes, though.

Also have a Kitchen Kettle that you can boil, fry, simmer, etc. with. And of course with the kids, anything they can put on a stick over the fire or wrap in foil.

Nuts. Hungry now!

Aluminum foil is your friend.

Cut up something, put some seasoning on it and a bit of fat (oil or butter) seal it up and either chuck it in the oven or on the grill.

You can even cut stuff up ahead and bag it, then just chuck everything together when you're ready.

Some favorite foil packet fix'ins include...

Potatoes with onion, pepper, mushroom

Any kind of meat or fish

Summer squashes (cut them thin and they cook super fast)

Sweet potatoes (try with cinnamon and maple syrup!)

Stone fruits (peaches, plums, nectarines) with honey, syrup or just a bit of sugar, butter and cinnamon

Apples, pears (see above)

Bananas with chocolate and coconut (holy deliciousness)

Where is the best place to pick up prepared salads (potato, macaroni, etc)?  Does the Publix have a decent selection that tastes sort of home made?  Not like the stuff out of the carton.

yes their homemade potato salad is really good, their cole slaw (sweet) is good also.

My kids like campfire pizzas. Put a premade pizza crust in the cast iron skillet, top with your choice, cook on a low heat. Also works on the grill or stove in the camper, just be carefull not to get it too hot. Trust me, the smoke alarm is very loud in such a small space.

I'll second using the crock pot. The camper doesn't smell like cooking for days on end, and we can start it and leave it for the day. We like chicken/ pork chops and rice, mexican pork chops (chops covered with salsa and cooked), Italian chicken (cover it with spag sauce and cook it). Brown the meat first, and you can mix anything you like with hamburger or sausage and let it do its thing.

We've also done a breakfast casserole in the crock. Good, but if you wake up during the night to go to the bathroom, the smell will drive you crazy trying to go back to sleep.

I want to find a recipie for bruschetta chicken in the crock. I did it once on the fire and they all loved it, but it was very time-intensive.

Can you give the recipe you use for crockpot breakfast/casserole?:rofl2: Pretty please with a cherry on top!

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=263037202669

This an excellent source of crock pot recipies, and it's where I found the breakfast recipie that I tried. I don't remember exactly which one we used, but they have several variations that look good.

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=263037202669&topic=12637

This is another chicken recipie that I am going to try.

You cook, you iron, you are the perfect man. And by the way what happened to your sexy avatar?  :banana:

A Tag Fairy that shall remain nameless replaced it with something more closely resembling my real physique. After the convulsions stopped and my eye bleeding slowed down I grabbed a quick replacement. I'll go back to the stud-boy image soon.

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=263037202669&topic=12637

This is another chicken recipie that I am going to try.

You cook, you iron, you are the perfect man. And by the way what happened to your sexy avatar?  :banana:

A Tag Fairy that shall remain nameless replaced it with something more closely resembling my real physique. After the convulsions stopped and my eye bleeding slowed down I grabbed a quick replacement. I'll go back to the stud-boy image soon.

Darn that Fairy. I'll be watching for your handsome alter ego to return :heart: