SUPER Cool Unofficial Transportation Map

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go to the parking lot, get into your vehicle, drive where you want to go, flip off the suckers who waited for a bus and took an hour to get to a park 15 minutes away.

I wonder how accurate this is....  

I was expecting Carol to respond before I responded, but I think she has more important things on her mind, like a paying job. As I don't have anything better to do, I'll weigh in on the super cool tr

I will admit that it does look supercool, but is it practical to use?

As for things having changed, none of the situations I posted about have changed over the last 5 years.

My favorite is the DHS bus that leaves from the settlement? Shouldn't that have raised a red flag?

Maybe ole Artie had a lot of time on his hands. He must have based it on what he observed.

What he may not have realized is that bus operations change at least 3 times during the day. They operate a certain way in the morning, change for the afternoon, and change again at closing. Routes change, sequence of the stops change, bus stops may change at the parks. How do you show that on a map?

Maybe next time Artie will ask someone in WDW Transportation to critique it. If he had, they would have told him, are you out of your mind?

The map does accomplish a few things.

That the WDW transportation system is extremely complex, and that no casual user will be able to map it accurately.

That there is transportation from every resort to all the attractions and back. And that there is transportation between the parks. But didn't we already know that. Do we need hundreds of colorful lines to show us that?

It's simple, and it's worked for a long time. Go to the correct bus stop, wait for the bus, get on the bus, get off the bus, done.

I'm sorry that I was out of town, and didn't get a chance to participate in this thread.  I love the Disney transportation system and enjoy trying to learn its intricacies.

It appears that old Artie got his mitts on an old Fort Wilderness bus map.  There was a time, but it was way before 2013, that the Hollywood Studios bus did leave from the Settlement.  And there was once a time that the Orange bus route shot straight through the middle of the campground.  But it hasn't for a long time.  It goes through the cabin loops.  Artie got that wrong too.

TCD

There was a time, but it was way before 2013, that the Hollywood Studios bus did leave from the Settlement. 

So that's where that came from. It's such a departure from what is done now that Artie should have questioned it.

How long ago did they do that and why did they do that?

So that's where that came from. It's such a departure from what is done now that Artie should have questioned it.

How long ago did they do that and why did they do that?

It was a long time ago.

When I first began to visit the Fort in the late '90's there were no direct buses to the parks.  There was the boat to the MK.  Transportation to the other parks was routed via bus to the TTC.  There you could catch the monorail to Epcot or bus to MGM (as it was then known).  AK wasn't open yet.

When AK opened in '98, they began with a bus that ran there from the Outpost.  At around the same time, they began a route from the Fort to DHS, which left from the Settlement. That bus shared with the Lodge, and they used the road that connects with the Lodge, rather than going through the campground.

At some point, they must have gotten tired of stupid guests showing up at the wrong place to take the buses, so they moved everything up to the Outpost.  I would say that was in 2002 or so.

TCD

Twelve years ago, wow.

It boggles the mind to think that Artie used info from that long ago.

I analyzed a tiny portion of the map and found those inaccuracies, there are probably a lot more.

Hey, it's not just Artie that's a nit-wit.

There's a well known (notice I did not say well respected) website that supposedly is the font of Disney knowledge that displays a 2001 Fort Wilderness map to assist the poor visitors to that site make plans:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/fwmap.pdf

This one is from 2001 and says there are buses from the Settlement to MGM, AK and Epcot.  I don't remember that, but I guess it was the case then.  They were fooling around with the bus routes a lot back then.

But for sure, that map is far from accurate now.  But, that's what that site uses.

TCD

This one is from 2001 and says there are buses from the Settlement to MGM, AK and Epcot.  I don't remember that, but I guess it was the case then.  They were fooling around with the bus routes a lot back then.

I remember a bus from the Settlement to MGM.  I don't remember if that was our first or 2nd trip to the Fort, but that would have been 2004/2006. But it was only to MGM. Epcot and AK buses were at the Outpost then.

2001 map, huh?  NIce.

Normally I'd click the link to see it, but I don't feel like giving them any more traffic.  8)

I remember a bus from the Settlement to MGM.  I don't remember if that was our first or 2nd trip to the Fort, but that would have been 2004/2006. But it was only to MGM. Epcot and AK buses were at the Outpost then.

2001 map, huh?  NIce.

Normally I'd click the link to see it, but I don't feel like giving them any more traffic.  8)

Yes, that's how I remember it- only the MGM bus left from the Settlement.

Sorry for posting the link to the 2001 map.  Maybe I can find an image of it and swap it out.

TCD

Yes, that's how I remember it- only the MGM bus left from the Settlement.

Sorry for posting the link to the 2001 map.  Maybe I can find an image of it and swap it out.

TCD

No apologies necessary!  :)

I found this one that sounds similar elsewhere. Is this it?

4246d1285687868-non-guests-fort-wilderne

http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/wdw-resorts/43507-non-guests-fort-wilderness.html#.UyC1il4dQio

Hey, it's not just Artie that's a nit-wit.

There's a well known (notice I did not say well respected) website that supposedly is the font of Disney knowledge that displays a 2001 Fort Wilderness map to assist the poor visitors to that site make plans:

So if Artie got a lot of his info from that nit-wit site, it's a case of garbage in, garbage out.

But if they're still referring to it as MGM Studios, a red flag should have gone up. It was changed to Hollywood Studios about 6 years ago.

So if Artie got a lot of his info from that nit-wit site, it's a case of garbage in, garbage out.

But if they're still referring to it as MGM Studios, a red flag should have gone up. It was changed to Hollywood Studios about 6 years ago.

I'm guessing there had to have been more than one source.  He certainly wouldn't have found that level of detail (correct or not) on a site that doesn't update a map in 13 years.  8)

• 4 months later...

I wonder how accurate this is....

60icRhS.jpg

I'm sorry.  I just want to make sure I'm reading this map correctly.  My DS17 and DAS18 (I made up a new abbreviation- DAS- Dear "Adopted" Son - son's best friend goes everywhere with us ;0) want to go off on their own to do their own thing.  So, if they want to hit Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, they take the yellow or green lines from the outpost directly to the water parks?  Does anyone know about how long this takes (on average) given the amount of stops?  Also, can you give us any tips on getting to Universal from FTW? They are both licensed drivers, but we live in the middle of nowhere so their experience w/ city driving is minimal.  Suggestions on that front?  Thanks!

I wouldn't use this map to plot out your transportation around WDW.

Getting to the parks is actually very simple.  For all parks except for Magic Kingdom, go out to the bus stop at the Outpost area of the Fort and just wait for the bus to pull up with the location you're looking to go to on the front.  They won't be color coded.  Even the water parks will have dedicated buses. 

For Magic Kingdom, go to the Settlement/Marina area of the Fort and catch the MK boat.

Driving to Universal isn't too difficult.  The easiest route if you don't know the area is to head out of WDW and get on Rt 4 East towards Orlando.  There will be several clearly marked exits for Universal.

So, if they want to hit Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, they take the yellow or green lines from the outpost directly to the water parks?  

The only thing that map should be used for is to learn your colors.

Does anyone know about how long this takes (on average) given the amount of stops?  

Travel time from FW to TL and BB is no more than 15 minutes. They may make one additional stop before heading to the waterpark depending on the time of day.

Also, can you give us any tips on getting to Universal from FTW? Suggestions on that front?  

I would get a GPS if you're going to be doing a fair amount of driving.

The OLP site has been around for a long time and is not a reliable source.

Some times it's correct, but too many times it's not.

If there is a website or map that accurately and consistently provides bus transportation info, I haven't come across it.

If you want accurate bus info, ask it here. There are one or two people on here that know everything about WDW buses.

I wouldn't use this map to plot out your transportation around WDW.

Getting to the parks is actually very simple.  For all parks except for Magic Kingdom, go out to the bus stop at the Outpost area of the Fort and just wait for the bus to pull up with the location you're looking to go to on the front.  They won't be color coded.  Even the water parks will have dedicated buses

Thanks! I wondered about dedicated buses to the water parks.  I've never been to the water parks so I never paid attention to those; I wasn't sure what to tell the boys.

For Magic Kingdom, go to the Settlement/Marina area of the Fort and catch the MK boat.

Yes, DH, DD, and I LOVED taking the MK boat from the Marina.  

Driving to Universal isn't too difficult.  The easiest route if you don't know the area is to head out of WDW and get on Rt 4 East towards Orlando.  There will be several clearly marked exits for Universal.

I think we'll take a practice run to Universal from FTW upon arrival so DH and I can check out the traffic patterns and the boys can familiarize themselves before I let them take off by themselves- IF I let them.  

So, if they want to hit Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon, they take the yellow or green lines from the outpost directly to the water parks?  

The only thing that map should be used for is to learn your colors.

I'm still not sure about chartreuse!

Does anyone know about how long this takes (on average) given the amount of stops?  

Travel time from FW to TL and BB is no more than 15 minutes. They may make one additional stop before heading to the waterpark depending on the time of day.

That's not bad at all.  Terrific.

Also, can you give us any tips on getting to Universal from FTW? Suggestions on that front?  

I would get a GPS if you're going to be doing a fair amount of driving.

Um, in case I didn't specify... DH is, indeed, a man...GPS? Surely you jest.  LOL. (I honestly don't know why he's so against those things, but he is).