Welcome.

Those are rental tents.  I've seen them put up lots of times.  They recently started using a new model of tent.

A guest reserves a site and a tent, and two guys will show up and set up a tent (and for an extra fee cots too).

The tents are not always in a desired location.  I see them most often on the 2000 loop,  or the group camping area, which not many people consider desirable.

This is the old style rental tent:

100_9081.jpg

And this is the new style. This tent was set up on the 100 loop, for just one night, during my trip last month:

3614379_zps391e87b5.jpg

TCD

Anyone know what the current rate to rent a Disney tent is?  Did it go up when they upgraded to newer equipment?

It looks like this is something the content queen may need to update.

The rack rates for 2013 are posted here: http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/rates/fort-wilderness-rates-2013-r274

This shows tents went for $30 a night (and cots for $5 a night) in 2013:

Rates-2013-Fort-Wilderness.jpg

TCD

Those tents are newer, yes, but look a lot smaller.

If you had 4 people I don't think you'd fit 4 cots in there, where they would easily fit in the old ones.

That's correct, they are 8' rather than 10' tents.

Even the previous tents stipulated that they would only fit 3 cots.

They are still $30 plus tax. So you get a smaller tent for the same price.

That's correct they are 8' rather than 10' tents.

Even the previous tents stipulated that they would only fit 3 cots.

They are still $30 plus tax. So you get a smaller tent for the same price.

It sounds like you ran across some kind of official information about tent rentals somewhere.  Does it say just two cots per tent now?

Are there any restrictions such as how many tents per site, or that they can't be set up on a premium site?  These tent designs would be hard to set up on a premium site. I don't think I've ever seen a rental tent set up on a premium site.

TCD

Does it say just two cots per tent now?

The new tents fit 3 cots, just a little tighter now.

Are there any restrictions such as how many tents per site, or that they can't be set up on a premium site? 

Yes , here's how it's worded on the HUB.

Preferred site

1 RV plus one tent, sleeps a maximum of 10 Guests. Or 2 tents, sleeps a maximum of 10 Guests.

Premium site

Maximum of 10 Guests

(Please note these sites no longer accept tents)

This type of campsite is appropriate for:

• Big Rigs
  • Motorhome
  • Travel Trailer
  • 5th Wheel
  • Van/Camper
  • 1 RV
  • Pop-Up type vehicle

The new tents fit 3 cots, just a little tighter now.

Yes , here's how it's worded on the HUB.

Preferred site

1 RV plus one tent, sleeps a maximum of 10 Guests. Or 2 tents, sleeps a maximum of 10 Guests.

Premium site

Maximum of 10 Guests

(Please note these sites no longer accept tents)

This type of campsite is appropriate for:

• Big Rigs
  • Motorhome
  • Travel Trailer
  • 5th Wheel
  • Van/Camper
  • 1 RV
  • Pop-Up type vehicle

Does the Hub say three cots in a rental tent?

We've discussed that Hub language about no tents of premium sties in the past.  That is not correct information.  They definitely have continued to allow tents on premium sites.  Maybe that restriction applies to just the rental tents, which I have not seen placed on premium sites.

TCD

Does the Hub say three cots in a rental tent?

Yes

That is not correct information.  They definitely have continued to allow tents on premium sites. 

Is the policy to allow it, or is that they don't enforce the no tent policy?

Maybe that restriction applies to just the rental tents, which I have not seen placed on premium sites.

Strictly based on how it's worded, they don't restrict it to rented tents.

Is the policy to allow it, or is that they don't enforce the no tent policy?

You tell me.

There is no information posted on the official Disney site that says what can or cannot be placed on each level of campsite.  Guests have to guess.

And, there likewise isn't a word about the availability of rental tents, cots or the sale of firewood.

You want to know the pet rules?  Good luck.

What a way to run a business.

TCD

For a couple nights at that rental rate, you could pick up a decent tent, plus tarps and other supplies, at WalMart.  Then when the trip is over, donate the tent to charity and take the deduction.  The rate for a site + rental tent + cots, if you choose them is about the same as a value resort.  I'll take the All Star room with air, thank you very much!  

For a couple nights at that rental rate, you could pick up a decent tent, plus tarps and other supplies, at WalMart.  Then when the trip is over, donate the tent to charity and take the deduction.  The rate for a site + rental tent + cots, if you choose them is about the same as a value resort.  I'll take the All Star room with air, thank you very much!

That's a good point about the tent from Walmart.

Not sure about choosing All Stars, though. We got stuck at the Poly one year when we had issues with our tow vehicle. We were less than thrilled, although in hindsight, we probably should've at least tried to enjoy it as opposed to being put-out that we couldn't be at the campground.

I've actually considered it when I'm down in Orlando for business. Go to the Fort for a night or two, let them do all the work, and relax. I'd probably pick up a chair and a fan. I still think it would be cheaper than a Value Room, cause one time I priced one of Curt's rental popups and a partial, and that was cheaper than a Value, so the tent would be even less.

That rental tent I saw on the 100 loop on my last trip was there just for one night.  It was a dad and two kids.  He obviously wanted to take the kids camping.  I thought that was a great idea- just pay for one night, and enjoy two days at the Fort.  They didn't have any camping equipment.  Just showed up, threw some sleeping bags in the tent, and from what I saw, had a blast.  Way better than a night at the All Stars- and really no work.

TCD

Yes - if you are really looking to spend time at the Fort, renting a tent or pup or whatever makes the most sense.  I have stayed in other resorts when I had a good deal as a FL resident, and we were doing parks and were gone most of the day.  Both times, we visited the Fort a couple of times for looping, the campfire, or sitting on the TE porch.  Not the same as being a guest there, but there was no way I would be on WDW property without stopping in!

Personally, the only way I would consider the tent option (for times when our camper isn't one), is during months when it cools off at night.  We did this in Nov. of last year.  Not bad at all.  Otherwise I'd rent a pup for the AC or stay at a value.

I still think it would be cheaper than a Value Room, cause one time I priced one of Curt's rental popups and a partial, and that was cheaper than a Value, so the tent would be even less.

It is, but the difference is not enough for me to stay in a tent.

ASR weekday rate during the regular season is $109. A tent site is $71, plus $30 for the tent, for a total of $101. I'll pay the $8 for the AC.

That's nuts.  I would have to go with the AC also.

As I said earlier.

What a way to run a business.

TCD

Not to mention a private toilet too

It's actually not really the cost, but the experience. As I said, I would consider it as a couple days at most extra stay during or after work. I stay in hotels LOTS, a couple days being able to chill out in a lawn chair and wander the Fort, and not have to drive anywhere, just what the doctor might order :)