Excerpted from Orlando Attractions Magazine...

Orlando Eye, Madame Tussauds and Sea Life aquarium complex dubbed I-Drive 360, opening next spring

April 17, 2014 | International Drive, Video

1978387_747894671900857_1125981937_o-620

Merlin Entertainments has announced three of its global brands coming to Central Florida next year; The Orlando Eye, Madame Tussauds and Sea Life aquarium will open in Spring 2015 at the newly renamed I-Drive 360 on International Drive.

The Orlando Eye, the cantilevered observation wheel at the heart of the complex, will be a little sister icon to London’s world-famous landmark, providing views of Central Florida in all directions within fully enclosed, air-conditioned glass capsules.

Eye-Terminal-View-620x327.jpeg

Madame Tussauds Orlando, the world’s most famous celebrity wax attraction showcases incredibly detailed and lifelike wax figures that pay tribute to the most influential celebrity and historical figures of our time.

=======================

At Sea Life Orlando, you will experience a journey from the wetlands and swamps around Lake Apopka – to the fun and colorful Florida Keys and tropical shores of the Gulf of Mexico. Diverse species are displayed within authentic and fantastically themed environments, influenced by all the language and look of the subtropical southern environment.

Seahorse-620x343.jpg

Sea Life will offer a new wave of underwater adventures with beautiful displays of colorful fish, sharks, jellyfish, sea horses and more. Winding tunnels, floor-to-ceiling tanks and bubble aquariums provide an immersive experience for children and adults alike. Additionally, the aquarium, known for its strong conservation efforts, will have unique educational components for young marine life enthusiasts.

Ocean-tunnel-Garuda-620x291.jpeg

===================

Merlin, the second largest visitor attraction operator in the world, operates Legoland Florida in Winter Haven, which opened in 2011.

“The success of Legoland Florida has underlined to us the potential for Merlin’s high quality global attractions in Central Florida; and particularly in Orlando, undoubtedly the best and most exciting location for family entertainment anywhere in the world,” said Nick Varney, chief executive of Merlin Entertainments. “We believe that this is an exceptional group of attractions which will not only provide three quite different new experiences for visitors; but also together add an exciting new dimension to what is already available in the region.”

Streetscape-620x321.jpeg

“We are very excited to be bringing some of Merlin’s best-loved global attractions to International Drive. Sea Life and Madame Tussauds have already proven their popularity with audiences across North America; and in Europe and Asia,” added James Paulding, head of openings for North America, Merlin Entertainments. “From 2015, these two, together with the unique views from the Eye will become must-do experiences for every visitor to Orlando.”

All three attractions are scheduled to open in Spring 2015, in addition to numerous shopping and dining options in the I-Drive 360 complex, which will have various opening dates, some this year.

Full article with video...

http://attractionsmagazine.com/orlando-eye-madame-tussauds-sea-life-complex-dubbed-drive-360-opening-next-spring/

• 9 months later...

The last car was installed on the Orlando Eye Observation Wheel this week.  From Orlando Attractions Magazine...

The last capsule was added to The Orlando Eye observation wheel today, making it one step closer to opening later this spring. The general manager added the last bolt, a special golden one.

10984308_10153025909479330_7529262317083

10968372_10153025909519330_7882287805995

934846_10153025909514330_904447430797187

10968473_10153025909509330_2032367383404

https://www.facebook.com/attractionsmagazine

The new attractions being opened on I-Drive by Merlin Entertainment Group were the topic of a front page story in yesterday's Tampa Bay Times:  http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/from-lego-to-giant-wheels-merlin-entertainments-has-eye-on-florida/2216740

The Orlando Eye and other new attractions are being built by the same group that brought us LEGOLAND.

Their business model is brilliant:

Though it's far from a household name, Merlin has become the undisputed, second-largest visitor attractions operator on the planet based on attendance. Disney, no surprise, has a comfy lead in the No. 1 spot, but you won't hear Merlin complain about that.

Instead, Merlin's success is based on a keen obsequiousness to Disney, especially in this area. Whereas SeaWorld and Busch Gardens have struggled to compete directly with the Mouse House and Universal Orlando Resort, Merlin has learned how to profit off its proximity to the giants by marketing second-tier, affordable fare.

"After people are done with the parks, we're hoping they come here and spend time with us," says Todd Andrus, Merlin's head of marketing for its Florida attractions.

Done with the parks.

That phrasing speaks volumes about their strategy. Merlin is a remora successfully acknowledging, and feeding off, Disney and Universal's whale sharks. As a business model, it's paying off.

The article was accompanied by this photo showing the view looking to the west from the Orlando Eye.  Does anyone recognize any famous landmarks?:

orlando%20eye_zpspc1ih7xe.jpg

TCD

What ever happened to the big coaster that they were building on International Drive, any progress?

Found a update to my own question. http://www.coaster-net.com/news/2588-world-s-tallest-drop-tower-coming-to-skyplex-attraction-at-i-drive/

Good find, Rennie!

Gotta say this sounds pretty darned impressive...

The 570-foot-tall SkyPlex attraction will open in 2017 and will contain both the world's tallest roller coaster, Skyscraper, and world's tallest drop tower, Skyfall.

Skyfall will drop riders from 450 feet in the air, which is more than twice as tall as Universal Orlando's Dr. Doom's Fear Fall and the Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Skyfall will be the "big brother" of the current record holder for tallest drop tower, Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom, at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, New Jersey. Zumanjaro stands at 415 feet tall and drops riders at 90 mph.

SkyPlex will also have a 55-story glass elevator that will take guests to an observation deck.

"People will be whizzing past you, going up, they will be meandering up the tower and then they will be flying down the tower, so you will see the up and the down and really just it gives you a perspective of just how fast you are going," said SkyPlex developer Joshua Wallack.

SkyPlex will break ground in September and will be part of the changing skyline on I-Drive. The 400-foot Orlando Eye observation wheel is set to open this spring, and the world's tallest swing ride, Star Flyer, is set to open in 2016.

Gotta say I'm a bit on the fence about the swing ride, but sign me up for the coaster!

:rollercoaster:

You can find an animated POV of the coaster here:

http://youtu.be/1gK5MWQ__Ns

The coaster is going to meander it's way down the tower, with some interesting elements, like outward banked turns near the top. There has been a lot of talk about this thing for a while, and this may be the first of several, if it gets off the ground.

Even if it's only a animated video I noticed they had the Orlando Eye already in the background. This will probably end up like the coasters in Vegas and cost a arm & leg to ride. One more observation, I would not want to be the one to inspect this ride I think you would have to be a climbing expert to do that.

Kenny the Pirate is reporting that the likely opening date for the Orlando Eye is May 4.

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2015/02/17/the-orlando-eye-releases-ticket-pricing/

Pricing is now up on the official website too:

https://www.officialorlandoeye.com/

Individual flex ticket - go any time, includes free parking in the garage

from $25

Individual ticket - pick a date/time

from $18

Individual VIP experience - pick a date/time, priority boarding, glass of champagne

from $32

There are also combo and other ticket options.

Looks like the website is having trouble handling the traffic at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Kenny the Pirate is reporting that the likely opening date for the Orlando Eye is May 4.

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2015/02/17/the-orlando-eye-releases-ticket-pricing/

Pricing is now up on the official website too:

https://www.officialorlandoeye.com/

Individual flex ticket - go any time, includes free parking in the garage

from $25

Individual ticket - pick a date/time

from $18

Individual VIP experience - pick a date/time, priority boarding, glass of champagne

from $32

There are also combo and other ticket options.

Looks like the website is having trouble handling the traffic at the moment.

I got an email from AAA yesterday telling me to check out their discounted prices for members:

Save Over 46% When You Pre-Purchase

Tickets By 5/4/15!

Membership has its benefits and this is surely an amazing one! Located at the I‑Drive 360 entertainment complex, this iconic 400-foot tall observation wheel features 30 air-conditioned passenger capsules with breathtaking views of Central Florida in all directions, including downtown Orlando's skyline, theme parks, lakes and, on a clear day, Cape Canaveral.

Discounted Ticket Price: Just $25.99 + tax per adult | $22.99 + tax per child

Ticket is valid for one visit to each attraction starting 5/4/15.

Ticket expires 30 days from first use or by 12/31/15.

Savings based on retail prices $49 Adult / $44 Child when the

complex opens on May 4.

Also located in the complex, AAA Members will witness the incredibly detailed wax figures of Madame Tussauds and behold the magnificence of three oceans at SEA LIFE Aquarium. Parking is free!

http://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/travel/i-drive-360.aspx?intcmp=EmailNewsletter&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EmailNewsletter

What a deal!

Still, I'll pass.

TCD

You can find an animated POV of the coaster here:

http://youtu.be/1gK5MWQ__Ns

The coaster is going to meander it's way down the tower, with some interesting elements, like outward banked turns near the top. There has been a lot of talk about this thing for a while, and this may be the first of several, if it gets off the ground.

Nope.  

Nope, nope, nope.  

Nope!

Ticket is valid for one visit to each attraction starting 5/4/15.

Ticket expires 30 days from first use or by 12/31/15.

Savings based on retail prices $49 Adult / $44 Child when the

complex opens on May 4.

Also located in the complex, AAA Members will witness the incredibly detailed wax figures of Madame Tussauds and behold the magnificence of three oceans at SEA LIFE Aquarium. Parking is free!

http://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/travel/i-drive-360.aspx?intcmp=EmailNewsletter&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EmailNewsletter

What a deal!

Still, I'll pass.

TCD

The retail price of $49 they've quoted is if you buy the combo ticket (Eye, Tussauds, SeaLife) on site.

If you order ahead online, it's $35 - so AAA saves you another $10.

I wonder if we can get the same deal through AAA up this way?

Nope.  

Nope, nope, nope.  

Nope!

Aw, come on Dave!

(really... even I would have to give this one some serious thought)