Campgrounds around Lake City, Florida

We are going to WDW and Fort Wilderness for the first time July 2, 2014.  We are driving from Houston and camping in our pop-up.  Any suggestions for camping around the Lake City area?  Drive time to WDW from Houston is between 14 and 18 hours--we are hoping for only about a 4-6 hr drive to Fort Wilderness on the 2nd day of the trip.  Good Sam club has Lake City Campground and Inn & Out,  Has anyone camped at these parks?  Any other suggestions? 

I would recommend the Gulf Pines in Milton Florida. It's a KOA all pull throughs right off I -10 we have stayed there several times. From Houston if your doing 70-75 with fast fuel stops 9 to 10 hours. If you aren't pushing it do 65-70 take more time getting fuel and stop and eat ( have a blow out on the trailer ) 11-12 hours. Then it's 6- 8 hours to the fort. Your over half way at that point. How ever there is a campground called Spirt of the Suwannee closer to Lake City. My friend that lives in Florida really likes it and says we should stay there but it's a little to far away for us on the drive down.

We are staying at Casey jones next Saturday. Reviews on it seemed okay, especially for an overnight. I don't have any first hand knowledge though, not till next weekend. Kelly's also was recommended to me.

• 4 weeks later...

We stop at the Inn&Out every trip, even though we're only coming from the Atlanta area.  It's not much in itself, but it's convenient to I-75 and has lots of fast foods, WalMart, and a Home Depot or Lowes nearby.  I HAVE to remember to look and see which it is next trip.  There's also a gas and propane station at the front, and a Subway in the building with the office.  They used to have a bunch of permanent parties near the front, but those were mostly gone and are supposed to be all gone by now.  New management is trying to upgrade the place.  We used to get a space in the rear, which are the newer sites, but closer to the front now that things are getting better.  It's a good overnight stopping point.  Maybe not so much as a destination location.

We usually stop at the Jellystone park in Madison, fl. Easy on and off I 10. It's about 4 hours from Fort wilderness. But, that's a long drive from houston...I would stop at the Milton Pines KOA instead.

So how long are you driving to make it to the jellystone?

Just as an update to mine, we stayed at Casey jones on our trip down. Nice clean park, hard packed grass pull-thrus. Not much around but very easy off of I-75. Nice folks, $25. Will stay here again on our next trip down.

As my dear hubby mentioned earlier we always stay at the In and Out RV Park.  It is far from fancy but for a one night stop over, it is fine.  We always have a pull through and full hook up with Cable.  And it is not a long drive from there to the Fort the next morning.

We will be staying there again in December, going and coming, if our trip doesn't get cancelled.  :mh1:

We also travel to WDW from Houston, and we have stayed just north of Lake City at White Springs at Kelly's RV Park - about 7 miles north of I-10.  It's not wonderful, but it's not really bad either.  It's $25 a night - no cable TV but free Wifi.  It's two hours from the Fort.

We also like to stay at Avalon Landing RV park in Milton, FL - "just 5 miles to Pensacola."  It's a little pricey, though, at $40 a night.  

I think there are some state parks around White Springs and Lake City, but I haven't stayed at those.  

Have you thought about spending the night at one of the many rest areas in Florida?  I don't know if people do this, but there are signs that there are overnight security guards on duty at many of them.

Be safe on that long, long drive to Florida!  

By the time you get to that part of Florida, you're only 2-3 hours from WDW, and 75 moves pretty fast. I've camped in that area quite a bit, favorites being Stephen Foster Cultural Center State Park and Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park, however, if you are strictly looking for a quick stop over for the night, I personally would hit a KOA or something similar. The parks I mentioned are designed to be explored, as the both sit on the Suwannee River and have a wealth of other things to do and see. Spent a week at Thanksgiving and again in March up there. Heading up that way again in October.

Just as an update to mine, we stayed at Casey jones on our trip down. Nice clean park, hard packed grass pull-thrus. Not much around but very easy off of I-75. Nice folks, $25. Will stay here again on our next trip down.

We stayed at one of those as well. It was great for an overnight. We didn't even unhook. 

• 2 weeks later...

If it is just overnight any of those parks would be ok. We have stayed at Jellystone and it would be a nice overnight place. The In and Out is okay as well for an overnight stay. There are a lot of restaurants with in walking distance. Olive Garden is next door to it and Longhorn steak house. Wal-Mart and Lowe's are less than a mile from it too. Good luck where ever you decide to stay.

So how long are you driving to make it to the jellystone?

We usually pick up the grand kids in The Woodlands and drive the first day to Biloxi. The second day we stop at Jellystone because there's a lot for the grand kids to do. That gives us a short drive to the Fort in the morning. We don't drive long days anymore...about eight hours is our max. If we stop at Milton Pines the first night (a long first day for us), then we make it to Disney the next day.

We usually pick up the grand kids in The Woodlands and drive the first day to Biloxi. The second day we stop at Jellystone because there's a lot for the grand kids to do. That gives us a short drive to the Fort in the morning. We don't drive long days anymore...about eight hours is our max. If we stop at Milton Pines the first night (a long first day for us), then we make it to Disney the next day.

Milton pines runs us 10 to 12 hours. I wish we could get there early but somthing always happens and its late.

It seems like every time we're heading to Florida, we either have torrential rains or traffic delays in Louisiana. Our goal is to get through Baton Rouge before rush hour and then hope for no major delays on I 12. Biloxi takes us about 8 hours since we stop every 3 to 4 hours. In Biloxi, we stop at Parkers Landing..it has an extremely long pull through (site 64) which makes for a comfortable night and an easy exit in the morning. We're always looking for good stopping places, but there's not a lot to choose from.

It seems like every time we're heading to Florida, we either have torrential rains or traffic delays in Louisiana. Our goal is to get through Baton Rouge before rush hour and then hope for no major delays on I 12. Biloxi takes us about 8 hours since we stop every 3 to 4 hours. In Biloxi, we stop at Parkers Landing..it has an extremely long pull through (site 64) which makes for a comfortable night and an easy exit in the morning. We're always looking for good stopping places, but there's not a lot to choose from.

Our last 2 trips we have had 2 hour traffic delays in LA.