We'll be heading to the Fort, in three weeks... but the commode in our trailer is REALLY starting to smell.  I just threw a few gallons of hot soapy water (plus some baking soda and a little white vinegar) in there, but I know I need a good enzyme to really kill the smell.  My thought was to fill it up, let it soak for a week and then dump it.  Then... how much water/enzyme do I add back in?  We may (or may not) use the commode at the Fort.  If it is used...it will only be a couple of times.  More than likely, we will not use it.

Can anyone recommend a really good product?

We used to use a drop in from walmart. Talked to a gut at a RV service place and he recommended camco rhino enzyme. That is what I am using now. He said the demonstration given to him was quite impressive.

We have used Odor-los for several years... You can get it at Campingworld again... for a while, they stopped carrying it. Even when they stopped carrying it I would go to the boating store like West Marine to buy it....

We have used it with success in some of the hottest summers in Florida with great results...

We use the camco tst drop in's from wally world. I have a built in tank washer and a clear sewer elbow to check the progress of flushing. I usually do about four fill and flushes before it runs really clear. I then put a few more gallons in and a drop in.....no odor problems at all.

We use the camco tst drop in's from wally world. I have a built in tank washer and a clear sewer elbow to check the progress of flushing. I usually do about four fill and flushes before it runs really clear. I then put a few more gallons in and a drop in.....no odor problems at all.

Can you please clarify...  you fill your tank (with the drop ins) and then empty it, 4 times in a row?  Our trailer does not have a tank washer; my dad mentioned that I need some sort of brush?

Can you please clarify...  you fill your tank (with the drop ins) and then empty it, 4 times in a row?  Our trailer does not have a tank washer; my dad mentioned that I need some sort of brush?

I am guessing that Blake means he fills the tank 4 times with just water, opening the valve to drain between each fill.  By the 4th fill the tank is running fairly clear when he drains it.  He then puts a few gallons in (as you don't want the tank dry) and then drops in the pack.  I do a fairly similar process to this. 

If you don't have a built in tank washer, I used to use one of these with good results. 

884350_silo.jpg

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/flush-king.html?gclid=CJv2gt208b0CFaVQOgodPjwA7Q

It allows you to backfill the tank with water from a hose.  You then shut off the water and drain the tank....and the clear elbow allows you to see what's coming out.  That way you can see when it's running clearer. 

On our current trailer, despite all of these efforts, I would still get more odors than I ever had on another RV.  So I installed one of these on top of the sewer vent and it has made a huge difference.  It's a Cyclone Sewer Vent Cap.

cyclone-rotating-vent.jpg

I am guessing that Blake means he fills the tank 4 times with just water, opening the valve to drain between each fill.  By the 4th fill the tank is running fairly clear when he drains it.  He then puts a few gallons in (as you don't want the tank dry) and then drops in the pack.  I do a fairly similar process to this. 

If you don't have a built in tank washer, I used to use one of these with good results. 

884350_silo.jpg

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/flush-king.html?gclid=CJv2gt208b0CFaVQOgodPjwA7Q

It allows you to backfill the tank with water from a hose.  You then shut off the water and drain the tank....and the clear elbow allows you to see what's coming out.  That way you can see when it's running clearer. 

On our current trailer, despite all of these efforts, I would still get more odors than I ever had on another RV.  So I installed one of these on top of the sewer vent and it has made a huge difference.  It's a Cyclone Sewer Vent Cap.

cyclone-rotating-vent.jpg

Thanks Dave.  A couple more questions:

1) I think you need to drain the water at a dump station...am I understanding correctly?  If so, where do you get the water to fill the tank again?  And, to confirm, you are willing the tank completely correct?  I think you do this by putting a hose in the toilet, is this right?

2) If I get the Flush King piece...do I still need some sort of brush to clean things out?

3) The sewer cap... do you drive with that on?  And now I'm wondering if part of our problem, is the fact that we have a tarp on our camper...??  We put that on, to try and help protect it as it's out in the open.

Thank you, very much, for the help.  I'm learning.  S.L.O.W.L.Y.  But still, learning :)

1) I think you need to drain the water at a dump station...am I understanding correctly?  I do this when I have a full hookup site.   If so, where do you get the water to fill the tank again?  And, to confirm, you are willing the tank completely correct?  I think you do this by putting a hose in the toilet, is this right?  I never put a hose in the toilet.  The Flush King has an inlet for the water hose.  And don't use your drinking water hose! 

2) If I get the Flush King piece...do I still need some sort of brush to clean things out?  I never use a brush

3) The sewer cap... do you drive with that on?  And now I'm wondering if part of our problem, is the fact that we have a tarp on our camper...??  We put that on, to try and help protect it as it's out in the open.  It is quite possible that the tarp is not allowing sewer gasses to escape your holding tank while in storage.  If it is a tarp that does not "breathe", you could be opening yourselves up to all sorts of issues including mold and mildew as well. 

Thank you, very much, for the help.  I'm learning.  S.L.O.W.L.Y.  But still, learning :)

1) I think you need to drain the water at a dump station...am I understanding correctly?  I do this when I have a full hookup site.   If so, where do you get the water to fill the tank again?  And, to confirm, you are willing the tank completely correct?  I think you do this by putting a hose in the toilet, is this right?  I never put a hose in the toilet.  The Flush King has an inlet for the water hose.  And don't use your drinking water hose! 

2) If I get the Flush King piece...do I still need some sort of brush to clean things out?  I never use a brush

3) The sewer cap... do you drive with that on?  And now I'm wondering if part of our problem, is the fact that we have a tarp on our camper...??  We put that on, to try and help protect it as it's out in the open.  It is quite possible that the tarp is not allowing sewer gasses to escape your holding tank while in storage.  If it is a tarp that does not "breathe", you could be opening yourselves up to all sorts of issues including mold and mildew as well. 

Thank you.  On filling the commode with the Flush King, do you know the tank is full because the water starts coming out the drain?  Sorry, basic questions...I know.

I found it also helps to put a capful of calgon water softener (water softener, not fabric softener) in the tank.  It does seem to help keep the tank cleaner.

I remember reading that somewhere else... thank you for the reminder! :)

Thank you.  On filling the commode with the Flush King, do you know the tank is full because the water starts coming out the drain?  Sorry, basic questions...I know.

I remember reading that somewhere else... thank you for the reminder! :)

I don't actually "fill" it....you run the risk of it coming up the toilet and all over the bathroom floor.  I just run it for a bit....and until you get a feel for it I'd take a peek down the toilet with a flashlight occassionally to make sure it isn't too full.  But in reality if you run the water for several minutes, then shut if off and open the valve you'll get a lot of "stuff" out. 

Just before you start your trip, add one cap full of laundry detergent in one gallon of hot water to the holding tank (repeat once or twice - 2 or 3 gallons total); add 1 cup bleach; add borax/calgon/water softener of choice to another gallon of hot water and add to holding tank. Driving will slosh this around and help clean the tank. Then flush out as Dave suggested.

Now you start the enzyme and flush treatment you decide on.

Dave nailed it.....I don't actually fill it all of the way full. Maybe 25 gallons in a 50 gal tank. I usually clean out at my shop or at the rest area close to home. Most of the rest areas here have a spigot. I use my own water hose. You will be surprised what all comes out when you do the flushes. It always takes at least 3 flushes on my rig.