We need tires put on this week; I've been doing my research and have discovered that there is a C and D load range option.  Is one better than the other?  Tires that are on the trailer now, are a 205/75/14, not a radial and (if I had to guess) either a 4 ply or 6 ply tire.  Our trailer has a dual axle.

Camping plans:  Two trips planned to the Fort this year (about 470 miles each way); plus possibly a couple of closer trips (say 100 miles or less each way).  Small chance for a long cross country trip next year.

The local Discount tires shows these three on it's website (but they say they can bring just about anything in): Carlise Sport Trail LH, Taskmaster Provider ST Radial and Carlise Radial RH.  All fall under the load range of C1.

Another local shop recommended the Triangle Radial tires, also load range of C.

I believe all of these tires are a 6 ply tire.

Thoughts on which way to go??  From what I understand, the D rating may allow you to go faster then 65 mph (not that I imagine I would do that); they are also 8 ply tires.  Does that sound right?

What trailer do you have? There may be a sticker in a cabinet or on a cabinet door. Newer trailers have a sticker on the front frame. An internet search for a brochure may help, too. Any idea what weight rating your axles are? That could help you make your decision. Discussions on tires can get "heated". I prefer overkill, but a heavier rated tire can ride rougher. Hope this helps! Good luck! David

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The higher the letter the more plys and it will carry a heavier load. IMHO buy "D" a little more money and a little more safety. I would also go with the radials they tolerate the side scuffing a little better.

Ditto.

What trailer do you have? There may be a sticker in a cabinet or on a cabinet door. Newer trailers have a sticker on the front frame. An internet search for a brochure may help, too. Any idea what weight rating your axles are? That could help you make your decision. Discussions on tires can get "heated". I prefer overkill, but a heavier rated tire can ride rougher. Hope this helps! Good luck! David

I found an online brochure that said:  Axle Dry Wt (Appr) 3396.  

Does that answer the question?

Not really. The logic I'm going for is for you to get tires that will carry the gross weight rating of your axles. Our old Sunline had 3,500 lb axles and C rated tires were fine. If your dry rating is so close to that 3,500 lbs, I, too, think you'd be safer with the D rated tires. David

Whew!  Now at a computer where I can type.  I'm more concerned that you get a tire rated to carry the weight you're carrying.  We don't know that, so I'm thinking you need to at least get a tire to carry the GWR of your axles as a starting point.   You're on the right track.  So the trailer came with C rated tires and you don't mention any problems, so we can sort of...maybe...probably confident that the Cs are OK to carry the weight.   Fiends are leaning toward Ds.  If you don't know the trailer/axle weights, it's a good choice.  David

Okay... found another sticker on the outside front.  I think this is the one, because it says GAWR front 2500 and rear 2500.  Under Tires, it says ST205/75R14 B.  Rims it says 14x6J.

Is that it?? 

BINGO! So B or C sound fine. D would work, too. FWIW We're rated for H tires, but we've got Js on now. David

'

Pretty sure all the tires you'll find are 'radial' construction tires (specifically, radial construction with steel belts). This means the ply tire component(s) are laid up RADIALLY (straight from bead to bead, 90 degrees relative to beads) when the tire is built.

The former construction method, 'bias ply', is a tire design where the ply component(s) are laid at a 'bias' angle relative to the beads (think 45 degrees). This design is not used in modern consumer auto/truck/trailer tires.

Advertised '# of plies' used to indicate specifically how many plies were used in the construction, but that is no longer the case. With newer ply materials, this number is just used as a nominal indicator of the strength (load carrying capacity) of the tire.

The load range letter designation is what you should be using to match up a set of tires to your trailer. D range will safely carry more weight than C range. This is all searchable in tables provided by the makers of the tires

The load range letters, and corresponding weight limits, are what the DOT and NTSB hold the tire makers accountable for. Match those up to the weight you need to carry and you'll be safe.

Pretty sure all the tires you'll find are 'radial' construction tires (specifically, radial construction with steel belts). This means the ply tire component(s) are laid up RADIALLY (straight from bead to bead, 90 degrees relative to beads) when the tire is built.

The former construction method, 'bias ply', is a tire design where the ply component(s) are laid at a 'bias' angle relative to the beads (think 45 degrees). This design is not used in modern consumer auto/truck/trailer tires.

Advertised '# of plies' used to indicate specifically how many plies were used in the construction, but that is no longer the case. With newer ply materials, this number is just used as a nominal indicator of the strength (load carrying capacity) of the tire.

The load range letter designation is what you should be using to match up a set of tires to your trailer. D range will safely carry more weight than C range. This is all searchable in tables provided by the makers of the tires

The load range letters, and corresponding weight limits, are what the DOT and NTSB hold the tire makers accountable for. Match those up to the weight you need to carry and you'll be safe.

You can still get bias ply trailer tires. I wouldn't but they are still available.

When I bought my first trailer used it had C tires on it.  Not sure if it came with those but when I did the math they came up barely adequate for being able to carry the unit fully loaded.  Since they were weather checked and would not pass inspection I just replaced them with the D's.

Take your GVWR, subtract about 10% to 12% as not all of the weight will be carried by the trailer, the TV will be taking on some of the load..

In my case GVWR was 7500 -12% = 6600/4 = 1650 pounds per tire.  Load Range C I looked at was rated at 1760, not giving me much over.  I went with the D's, figured a little extra would not hurt.

The weight rating refers to the construction of the tire.....think # of belts,etc. Size won't be diffent. just make sure the psi rating of the rim is equal or greater to the max cold psi of the tire.

Is this something that I can see (on the rim) or will I need to have the tire store check?

Okay... called the trailer tire store in the area and they do not make a D tire in 205/75/14 or 215/75/14.  15" tires may be a tough fit on our trailer...plus we'd have to replace the rims.

So, looks like I'm at a C tire.  They recommend Triangle (I posted on this)...but they can also bring in Maxxis, which I've read has decent reviews.  The Maxxis is $74 more (total); the tire company said that while Maxxis is a good tire... he didn't think they were any better than Triangle.