• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we settled our dilemma. Mom and Dad were going to trade n their TT for a new one, so they sold theirs to us. Now, to get a better tow vehicle...

Buy somthing rated to pull way more then what you are towing. The driver and passenger will have a much better vacation when you don't know the trailer is behind you. And congrats on the trailer.

Thanks, everyone. We're pretty excited. It has less floor space than our pup (it's only 21'), but what we're gaining is worth it.

I completely agree about the tow vehicle! That's our plan. Unfortunately, we might not be able to get one in time for our October trip. Depends on selling our house. It might mean we're back in a tent for this trip. As long as I'm at Disney, I don't care. :)

What is the gross trailer weight?

I have towed with the van maxed out and it towed just as fine as the normal trailer (25' sunline). The big difference is the acceleration. The had part was setting the WD system up correctly. And getting the trailer weight distribution correct.

Also, a lot of people don't think about adjusting (increase) the TV tire pressure to match the new weight. To firm and the road throws the TV around. To soft and the trailer throws the TV around and is a source of sway.

I even have to increase the Subaru's tire pressure when towing the 1.5k lb taos.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

What is the gross trailer weight?

I have towed with the van maxed out and it towed just as fine as the normal trailer (25' sunline). The big difference is the acceleration. The had part was setting the WD system up correctly. And getting the trailer weight distribution correct.

Also, a lot of people don't think about adjusting (increase) the TV tire pressure to match the new weight. To firm and the road throws the TV around. To soft and the trailer throws the TV around and is a source of sway.

I even have to increase the Subaru's tire pressure when towing the 1.5k lb taos.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

It's around 4000 lbs.

It's a 1997 Aerolite 21RBH. It was originally billed as a trailer that could be pulled with an S10 or an Astro van. An S10 pulled it to Disney the first time after some serious upgrades. We still have that truck (my high school vehicle and my baby), but it's nowhere near up to the task anymore. It was difficult enough the first time.

We pulled our pup with our 2002 Ford Windstar (with airbags, transmission cooler, etc). It won't pull the Aerolite. It's just too heavy. Even if it barely could pull 4k, by the time you factor in van cargo, etc, you've more than maxed it out. Personally, I'm not comfortable with pulling at max weight.

It is with in the range for a Taco, .

I was concerned with this statement, so I went to our local Taco Bell and talked to the manager, a young man of about 19 by the name of Jerry. Jerry confirmed that, indeed, it is within range of the taco.

We just recently bought a Freestar because out family of 3 +dog will be 4+dog any day now.  But I hope it will be a temporary TV until Ford decides to build the Transit with the I-5 duratorq in the low roof configuration.

The Transit is intriguing.  My problem is, from the numbers I've seen, that while payload capacity is higher than the E series, towing capacity is lower.  I think it maxes at 7500 lbs if I read correctly.  I didn't examine too closely so maybe I misunderstood.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is something my husband and I go back and forth on every year. Summer is here and I am online looking at RVs again. Currently we have a hybrid TT. What I love about it is the size. We have five kids, although this summer we will be down to four as the oldest is heading off to college. So size is a factor. My kids are all teens so the ability to have some private space is an issue. Our current TT is a KZ Coyote 23cfk. It has three fold out queen beds, a sofa and a dinette. It does have a slide also. So once we are set up it's spacious, no one is on top of each other. But traveling is another thing. We are on top of each other in the suburban. It's easy to tow, it's short when folding down but my husband is a former trucker so backing up and towing a trailer isn't a big deal anyhow. I like the idea of the kids having more seating option in a MH. And of course the set up of our TT can be a pain at night after a long day of traveling, although with all hands on deck it only takes about 20 minutes. Also since money is always tight we wouldn't be able to get a very expensive MH, probably an older 29'-30' class C. Sigh. 

So yeah once again, the pros and cons tell me to stick with our TT have until we have less kids at home. 

• 2 weeks later...

We started with a 34' Class C (Diesel).  It got about 11 mpg.  We have a young child (he was really young then), and a big issue we had with it was that his sleeping area was either over the cab or in the kitchen, where the outside door is.  Once he went to bed, we were stuck tiptoeing around or hiding in the master bedroom.  It was a nice unit (Gulfstream) but was not built for cold weather.  It had the Chevy 5500 front, which I liked better then the Ford, because the Ford has a hump in the passenger footwell.  It was nice to be able to get to the back of without going outside.  It was really easy to drive, went through the mountains of CO fine.

We went to an RV show a few years later and got bedazzled by the Class As with the bunk beds and their shiny tile floors, and ended up with a Fleetwood 40G diesel pusher.  It got about 8 mpg.  It was gorgeous, had lots of electronics.  Going down the highway with it was bouncy bouncy bouncy though, and I (the wife) found it tiring to keep straight.  When through NC mountains fine though, in the winter, and it was great.  Because it had the U shaped dinette, the only place for our son's car seat to ride was in the passenger seat (MY seat with the flip up foot rest!).  The passenger couldn't talk to the driver while at the dinette.   We also found out with time that the bunk room was right in the middle of the coach - between the master bdr, the bathoom, and the kitchen/living, and directly on the otherside of the outdoor TV/under awing area.  Once again, mostly stuck tiptoeing around after bedtime.  It was also very dark as the windows are short and usualy have storage cabinets above them.  It had a "super slide" that was the entire side of the coach - guess what that means - your camping area in narrow sites is "super small".     It had a residential refridgerator, so you weren't doing generator-free camping for long.   We had to make a choice when we travelled to tow a car or take the golf cart.    Ultimately though, we traded it in because I just didn't feel safe travelling in it should an accident occur.  The class A's aren't safety tested, there's no real structure to them other then the floor, and there's a drawer full of knives, heavy (but pretty) sink and stove cutting boards,  etc. (Did I mention we have a young kid, MOM?) :-)

We ended up trading it for a new F350 DRW (hump in the passenger footwell got me afterall, ugh) and a fifth wheel toy-hauler for the same monthly payment as the Class A was, except the truck payment will fall off in a few years vs 20.  Our 5er is a monster, 42' (blame the husband), but it carries our side-by-side Kawi cart, and we have the truck when we get there, so we have all three pieces.  The garage has two queen beds and a half bath for the boy, but there's also an inside bunk above the kitchen if we're on the road and the garage is full where he can sleep.  It has really high ceilings and gigantic windows.  His room is at the back, and ours is at the front with the living area separating us (yeah baby!!)   We get about 11mpg towing with the truck, but the Ford pulls it like it doesn't even know it's there.  No sway, no bounce, it could be a jetski back there, except you won't be making any U-turns.   It has a generator built in so just a dash inside in the rain if you don't want to hook up.  It's got amazing insulation in the main part (we need to beef up the garage floor, it's not finished the same as the main floors and does have a bigger temp swing).  It's also been though the CO mountains with no problem.    We've boondocked in it for multiple days.   Although the Ford doesn't have a built in kitchen and bathroom, I feel so much better about travelling in it should something go wrong (I mentioned, paranoid mom of young kid, right?).  My main dislikes of the new set up are just the massive size, since it does limit campsites, and we took a less sexy living area/kitchen to not have a camp-side slide (a reasonable trade-off).  Husband misses his retractable power code reel.   And no one makes a TH with an outdoor kitchen, which we really wanted.  We have a lot of bikes/kayaks/toys that we travel with that either have to fit underneath or on back of a C or A but are tidy and dry in our TH.  If it's raining, the kids have a gigantic, washable play area in the back we can lock, um, entertain, them in.

So, before you commit to something new, learn from our tale of RV impetutiousness (< spelled that right on the first try!)  and figure out what's really important to you, and how you like to travel.   We have good friends that travel in an A with three kids and it makes me cringe.  They're sitting sideways and everything is a projectile.  So maybe they're eating sandwiches and watching TV back there! :-)

One day when it's just the two of us, we may be back in a class A with a lil Jeep in the back, when we can be as noisy and as crazy as we wanna be.  While it's a family affair, we're pretty sold on trailer life.