Jonathan and I are playing around with the idea of upgrading our pup. We really like the idea of not having to set up and set down all the time.

I'll be honest - I'm leaning more towards a Class C. My parents' first camper was a micro-mini, and we had lots of great memories in it. Jonathan could go either way.

If we go with a travel trailer, we'll need to get a new-to-us tow vehicle. If we go with a class c, I'm assuming we'd need to buy an inexpensive car to pull behind it (also assuming we couldn't pull our minivan behind it).

So -

Pros/Cons of each?

What would we need to take into consideration when looking at a used class c?

What about car seats and motorhomes?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had travel trailers for many years and have enjoyed them all.  The one time we did rent a Class C, my DW says she liked being able to get up and walk around a little, get a snack, etc. while we were traveling.  She really liked that convienence of the Class C.

Actually, you aren't supposed to be walking around while the vehicle is in motion. Passengers should be in seats and buckled in. Sorry to be a buzz kill.

Jonathan and I are playing around with the idea of upgrading our pup. We really like the idea of not having to set up and set down all the time.

I'll be honest - I'm leaning more towards a Class C. My parents' first camper was a micro-mini, and we had lots of great memories in it. Jonathan could go either way.

If we go with a travel trailer, we'll need to get a new-to-us tow vehicle. If we go with a class c, I'm assuming we'd need to buy an inexpensive car to pull behind it (also assuming we couldn't pull our minivan behind it).

So -

Pros/Cons of each?

What would we need to take into consideration when looking at a used class c?

What about car seats and motorhomes?

You sound just like me a few years ago.

We started with a TT and then sold it after a few years and got a Class C.

Things I liked about our TT:

We had a real gas oven instead of a convection combo.

We had bunks.

Big pantry

It was cheaper. 

Things I like about our Class C:

Lots of room and sleeping places (bunks in addition to the bed over the cab)

I can go to the bathroom and get snacks without stopping (even though I limit movement)

Set up is easier 

We put Z's car seat at the dinette with the table down because... 1) Car seats are supposed to face to the front or rear, not the side. 2) There we attach to the frame vs. attach to a couch or chair that they attaches to the frame.

We loved having a motorhome and want another someday.  While we enjoy our TT, some of the things we liked about the MH are:

It's great to stop for lunch by pulling into a rest area and never leaving the MH.  Use the bathroom, make sandwiches, etc.  

The kids sitting at the dinette could color, draw, etc. easily.

Stopping for the night was great.  A quick pull into a campground or a place to boondock if you are into that, and again you don't have to get out if you don't want to.  

Having an onboard generator was great.

We didn't let the kids get up and move around, or INC for that matter....but at times when I felt the risk was minimized INC would go to the fridge to grab a drink or get a snack.  

Like Kelly said, the carseat went at the dinette in a forward facing spot.  Our motorhome had a tie down similar to the LATCH system as well for that purpose.  

I don't find the generator loud but we only use it for short periods of time. Usually at rest areas to fix food.

Our generator is just loud enough to produce a constant hum that drowns out all the outside noises.  Great when we're overnighting at FJ.

Good info to know.... thanks fiends.

I like my TT, tons of room for 2 for a bargain price. And I love my Tundra Crewmax, very comfortable and plenty strong for my rig. What I don't like is I cannot add a cart. We used to have a small class A, and liked being able to park at a rest area in the pouring rain, start the genny, make dinner, use the toilet and go to bed all without meeting a raindrop. But at the time we didn't have a dinghy-able car, nor a dolly so the setup really put a damper on our excursions when camping.

If I were to do it all again, I might choose:

1) A truck with a smaller backseat and a full 8' bed (golf cart), and perhaps a bit smaller TT (we don't generally need the bunks).

2) Or, a small moho with a TandemTow trailer (a combo cart trailer and auto dolly) and a small dinghy (like our Prius).

I don't like the idea or the styles of any of the toy haulers I've seen, but I know some folks love them, just not for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The extra room while traveling we found to be a big reason we like our motor home.  The last TT we had we pulled with a dodge durango, not only did we get lousy gas milage, but everyone was crammed together while traveling.  I decided that if I was going to get lousy gas milage we might as well be comfortable, so we changed to a MH.  There are the other advantages as stated above, bathroom and snack trips while in motion.  Being able to pull into a rest stop and go to the bathroom or bed without having to go outside.  We usually stop at the first rest area once we get off 75 on the Florida Turnpike and grab a few hours sleep and then it's only an hour to FW.

I have been told that the MH or TT can be considered a second home, so the interest you pay on the loan may be tax deductable  If so the higher priced MH and a more cost effective tow car should be a better deduction than a lower priced TT and a high priced tow vechile. 

And if the vechicle you get to tow a TT is used as a daily commuter vechicle what is the cost of using it daily vs. the cost of a small dingy vechicle daily.

Yes, the interest on a MH or TT is tax deductible as a second home.

We have a diesel pusher MH (Class A).  We used to have an Airstream trailer and an F-350 dually.  We get better mileage in the MH.  And the F-350 was a daily driver which has been replaced with a vehicle that gets 3 times the gas mileage.

We've had the MH 8 years.  It is 12 years old.  Someone mentioned maintenance on a MH being much more, but other than tires we haven't found that to be true.  It's $180 to have the oil changed every year or two.  We had to have a gasket replaced behind our electric awning last year.  That was about $400.  Years ago our generator needed some work.  Minor repairs we do ourselves.

We did lots of homework, purchased a quality unit, and have never regretted it.  There are so many pluses to having a MH, but we haven't found any negatives yet.  Among the pluses:

- We can travel at least 1,000 miles without having to stop for fuel.

- We are totally self-sufficient without having to leave the unit.

- Setup is so much quicker.

- The view out the front window going down the highway is amazing.  I'm in my recliner with my feet up watching the world go by.

- The ride is so much more comfortable.

In all honesty, if we had to go back to a TT, we'd probably quit camping.  We're spoiled.

It all boils down to this... you're riding in your living room with the motorhome, or you're riding in a truck with the trailer...

Each one has its own set of pros and cons... We have had 1 tent, 2 pop-up's, 1 TT, 1 FW and now a motorhome... There were things that I liked and disliked about each of them, but I have to say, the motorhome has been my favorite so far....

I have a tiny travel trailer, and for right now it suits our needs. It's towable by my daily driver that I already had, (but I have gotten a new one since, same truck, newer year), it fits in most campsites, and it fits in the garage with 8 ft doors.

However, we are seriously looking at a Class C for when I get closer to retirement for longer trips for hubby and I. Long distance traveling with multiple stops is much easier with a MH. We won't be looking for more sleeping space. We want the entertainment center over the cab, and a walkaround bed. It does get tiresome to crawl over Rick to get in and out of bed.

We will get a trailer to pull a toad and golf cart, or one of the mighty hauler things like Gwen and Grumpy & Grandma have

Wow...really?!  That would be nice.  I'm sure it's not cheap to fill up, but the convenience of not having to stop as often...that sounds nice.

Do you tow anything?

It holds 110 gallons of fuel.  Fueling it up is painful to the wallet.

Right now we are only carrying the golf cart on the mighty hauler which is installed on the back of the MH.  We have a CR-V that will be attached to the mighty hauler.  We used to take a car and the golf cart on a car hauler.  Thankfully towing doesn't affect our MPG.

We will get a trailer to pull a toad and golf cart, or one of the mighty hauler things like Gwen and Grumpy & Grandma have

I didn't know Grumpy and Grandma have a mighty hauler too!

It holds 110 gallons of fuel.  Fueling it up is painful to the wallet.

Right now we are only carrying the golf cart on the mighty hauler which is installed on the back of the MH.  We have a CR-V that will be attached to the mighty hauler.  We used to take a car and the golf cart on a car hauler.  Thankfully towing doesn't affect our MPG.

I didn't know Grumpy and Grandma have a mighty hauler too!

What MH (brand and size) do you have?

For those of you who have a Class C... does towing reduce your MPG?

Thanks, everyone. We wouldn't be moving around while going down the road, but it would nice to not have to get out once we stop somewhere.

I know one poster said the upkeep on a TT and MH was about the same. For those of you who have had both, did you find that to be true for you as well?

How much does a set of tires for a MH cost on average?

I know one poster said the upkeep on a TT and MH was about the same.

I don't understand this either. The Moho has 2 engines (incl generator). Plus, depending on jurisdiction something with an engine gets taxed differently than a box on wheels. Not sure about insurance rates.

All,the pros listed for Class Cs seem great and I would enjoy. The one overriding thing for me is not having everything in one place.