IT ALL STARTED, WITH A CROOKED SMILE...

After the eventful night before, we settled down for a short "snooze" and woke up at 3am.  With the trailer (and two small kiddos) it takes us 8.5 to 9 hours to drive to the Fort, so we do our best to get on the road by 4am.  Tom would prefer it if we left a little later in the morning, but I like getting to the Fort around check-in time so we can get settled and spend some of the day enjoying our camp and the Fort.  It's a long drive, but at 4am at least there are very few drivers on the road.

Our drive was uneventful (thank you Lord!) and we pulled in shortly before 1pm.  We got lucky and were assigned to the 1500 loop (we had decided to go with a tent/pop-up site in order to save money...a good choice for a short, bonus, trip.  We used the facilities in our camper, so we had to dump the sewer at an empty site on our way out).  The first site assigned to us wasn't the best fit for our hybrid, so we made our way over to 1521 and Disney agreed to let us take that site which was a really great fit for us...fit all of our items nicely and it was close to the comfort station.  We were very happy with the site :)

20140626_080139_zps928a069b.jpeg

Then Mr. Lou came to visit us (thank you Lou!) and the Siver family became "official" fiends.... well, almost "official", Jen is going to send us our lettering  :)

20140627_1427491_zpsde432ff4.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We like to leave around 3am too.  Only our drive is about 20 hours.  

Isn't it great to drive while the kids sleep away in the backseat?

Haha...IF your kiddos sleep :)   Of all the trips, I'm lucky if mine take a "snooze" for 30-45 minutes between 4am and when we typically stop for gas/breakfast around 7:30a-8a.  So far however, they have both sat back there quietly so... that's something at least :)

Random pics?  Yep... I have a few :)

Nothing better, than breakfast outside...

20140626_082916_zps71e396db.jpeg

Unless it's breakfast at Trails End of course :)

20140627_084853_zps81f0c1e6.jpeg

We don't typically spend the money on renting a golf cart...but this trip we decided to splurge for one day (which was awesome, especially since it was 90 outside with 200% humidity :) )

20140628_090117_zpsb8d48d77.jpeg

Since we had the cart, we traveled around and saw that the 1400 loop was still closed...

20140626_161035_zps6e3bc85e.jpeg

That there is apparently a group area that you can reserve for parties/cookouts just past the 2000 loop...

20140628_145146_zps2054e226.jpeg

That if you spend the money, to rent an expensive cabin, that you get the "fancy" trash cans...

20140628_145945_zps7f9857a4.jpeg

And that, only at Disney, can you purchase a pair of $1.99 plastic flip flops...for $44.95 :)

20140628_151327_zpsf2308f51.jpeg

Those look like the bear-proof trash cans they have in the Smokies.  

And those flip flops?   :bugeyes:

Haha... oh, I see.  For those who are staying in a TENT, they get the basic (open...come on over bears) trash can.  But, if you're in a secure cabin, you get the bear-proof can.  Lovely :)

I'm in and enjoying your report!  Can't believe about those flip flops though! 

The bear proof trashcans at the cabins must be new - I stayed in one just a couple of years ago and have never seen those before.  Crazy looking trash can!

Not first or page one! But, I'm in! Add us to the crowd that likes to leave super early. We don't ever want to start our vacation with Atlanta traffic, so we try to get out before they get started!

We're the opposite, we leave late in the afternoon to get Atlanta past us after they are done. Then it's easy peasy the next morning from Tifton.

I think from now on when I think something is so expensive that it's asinine, I am going to call it Disney Flip-Flop.

:rofl3:  Love it!

I'm thinking if I hit the dollar store and grab say, 4,000 cheap flip flops, drop some cash on a Mickey ink stamp and a few pads of ink, I could find a nice way to increase the kids college fund while on vacation at the Fort!

I'm with you there!!  Maybe we can go into business together?? :)

Okay... so wrapping it up, it was a really great (even though it was short) trip.  The only downside, was that it was hot, hot, HOT.   We're looking forward to our trip in October, when the temps should be much more enjoyable :)

Few more pics to end out this TR:

We had to get there 2 hours before the show started... but we had a really nice seat for the parade (yes, my little man has is shirt off, it was still that hot!): 

20140628_211106_LLS_zpsffa6b493.jpeg

Noticed some construction in front of the dessert/fireworks area (oh...which, by the way, is already booked for October :(  )  

20140628_194018_zpsfb53ae5f.jpeg

The morning that we left, one final romp at the Meadow's playground... little man was sad to say goodbye to the boats :(

20140629_105751-Copy2_zps5bbc280b.jpeg