Looking for Lizard advice from the Florida Fiends

Hi 

I live in Kentucky, and in the last year or two, I have started seeing lizards around our house.

Recently I have seen them out in the yard or in the garage.

Okay, yeah you may have guessed it, I have a lizard in my basement laundry room.

Yes, I was the screaming lady running the opposite direction from the lizard. :))

Would anyone have any advice on getting this unwanted guest out of my house?

Thanks

What do the lizards look like?

I recall seeing Skinks around my folks old house in Bardstown. They are a fairly common species in Kentucky. To keep them out of your house you need to follow the same rules you do to keep out mice and other rodents. Make sure you block any small holes they can enter through the foundation and around doors and windows. Make sure your drier vent flapper is in working order. Control bugs in and around the house.

To get it out of your house I would suggest a broom, large bucket and a cover. Have one person use the broom to get it into the bucket and another to close the lid. We occasionally get Carolina anole's (aka Carolina chameleons) come down our chimney and this is how I get them out of the house.  I had a Skink manage to get into our duct work so I hired one of those duct cleaners to get it out. 

We used to bring the lizards in and let them take care of any bugs in the house after a day or so we would always find them in the potted plants we have in the house. So if you have any green potted plants put one down where you saw him and keep checking  back until you see him in plant and just take the whole plant outside.  

I do have a cat, and I am sure if she spots it she will let me know.  She is good at alerting me to bugs. But I am actually trying to keep her away because I read that the lizard could poison the cat if she eats it. (I dont think she would eat it) But I just paid 2,000 dollars over the last 10 weeks getting her over an illness.

Still no sign of the lizard, we finished cleaning half of the storage room today, will continue looking tomorrow.

We get the lizards on our porch all of the time. If I don't see them and grab them to take them outside, they die and dry up after about a day. Don't think you have anything to worry about now, unless you have some ants in the house that may avail themselves of the feast.

We get the lizards on our porch all of the time. If I don't see them and grab them to take them outside, they die and dry up after about a day. Don't think you have anything to worry about now, unless you have some ants in the house that may avail themselves of the feast.

Thanks, I hope that he is either dead or found his way back outside.

I don't know if it would work for lizards (but this is past post #10!)...my neighbor swears hedgeapples, those green bumpy things about the size of softballs, keep spiders out of the house.

I have also heard this. I have not seen any hedgeapples around our neighborhood though.

We don't know how the lizard actually got into the house, my husband sealed up most open areas around the house, when we had mice a few years ago. We did have a new a/c put in last year and there may be an opening in the area that will need to be sealed .