Best viewing spot for Illuminations?

Other than from the room DIT stayed in at the YC, that is.

We plan to be at Epcot 9/29/14.  I am so overwhelmed with planning this trip, that i haven't spent much time planning our Epcot day, beyond looking up that Hanson will be playing.  MmmBop!

So any, where do I want to try to maneuver my clan to for Illuminations?

Fuego!

Other than from the room DIT stayed in at the YC, that is.

We plan to be at Epcot 9/29/14.  I am so overwhelmed with planning this trip, that i haven't spent much time planning our Epcot day, beyond looking up that Hanson will be playing.  MmmBop!

So any, where do I want to try to maneuver my clan to for Illuminations?

Fuego!

Depends on the wind. It's a 360 degree show so make sure your not in the direction the wind is blowing. If you plan on leaving immediately I would try to be closer to the bridge to Future World. I have watched from the start of Mexico and had a good view but with food and wine not sure if the kiosks will block some of that. 

Depends on the wind. It's a 360 degree show so make sure your not in the direction the wind is blowing.

^THIS^

Lots of places that are good around World Showcase, but definitely make sure wherever you are, the wind isn't blowing towards you.

The other thing to look for is where the trees are on the little islands in the lagoon.  The globe will go out into pretty much the middle, and to get a good view of it, you want to be sure there isn't a tree in your way. 

One place we like that might seem odd is in the Japan pavilion.  Instead of stacking up along the fence, walk back towards the store/restaurant.  The ground slopes up a bit there and you can actually get a good view over the heads of all those people squished along the fence.

Here's what I always do whenever I go to Epcot.

I drive to Epcot and you can too.

Park in the lot across from the Boardwalk and enter Epcot through the back at the International Gateway.

After the fireworks, you'll be going against the crowd by exiting out the IG.

You'll be at your car before the other people get to the bus stop.

Take a left out of the lot, a right onto BVD, 2nd right onto World Drive and you'll be at the Fort in 10 minutes.

You'll avoid all the crowds exiting Epcot. No Fort bus to catch and no bus to catch to your site.

One catch to Lou's plan... if you're going to Epcot on a weekend during Food & Wine (which btw, I do NOT advise) you may not be able to park at Boardwalk, as Epcot resorts sometimes crack down on non-resort guest parking during those weekends.

That happened to me.  I was at WDW several years ago in October and wanted to park at Boardwalk so I could watch that night's World Series game at ESPN.  I wasn't allowed in the parking lot.  :(

One catch to Lou's plan... if you're going to Epcot on a weekend during Food & Wine (which btw, I do NOT advise) you may not be able to park at Boardwalk, as Epcot resorts sometimes crack down on non-resort guest parking during those weekends.

There is no catch. It's not the BW lot, it's the lot across the street from the BW.

I do it during F&GF, F&WF, Christmas time, 4th of July, all the time.

Speaking of watching Illuminations from the Japan pavilion, this is a photo Chip and Co. shared from Disney Photo Snapper, probably taken from upstairs outside the restaurant...

Here's a great shot of Illuminations from Disney Photo Snapper!
Where is your favorite spot to watch the show from?

https://www.facebook.com/chipandco/photos/a.142138088416.134661.106657338416/10152615223588417/?type=1&theater

10505476_10152615223588417_7658517070061

When we watch from here we usually stand right under where it says "Disney Photo Snapper"  80

From the parking lot, cross the street and walk up through the Boardwalk resort to the actual boardwalk along the water you see there at the top.  The walkway loops completely around - past the rest of the Boardwalk resort, the Yacht and Beach Clubs, and the International Gateway - aka Epcot's "back door"  :)

Hey amateur from NH, close, but no cigar. You have quit the cigar thing, haven't you? 

Anyway, Mo has it almost right, but I can save you some walking.

Once you cross the street, stay to right as if you're going to the convention center entrance, (purple dots) but don't go inside unless there is something going on that interests you. Who knows, maybe I'll be working an event in there that day.

Anyway, go by the entrance and you'll come to a covered walkway that leads to the steps, which if you're not too sloshed by then to use them without falling, will take you down to the Boardwalk. Stay to the right past the ESPN Club to the IG on the right.

When you get to the IG, tell them Lou sent you and they'll let you in for free.

Good luck with that.

Boardwalk1_zps5523c4d5.jpg

If I park where Lou suggests, can I get in the International Gateway for rope drop in Future World?  

Or do I need to walk all the way around to the front gate?

Missing the crowds at the end of the night might not be worth the hassle in the morning. 

If I park where Lou suggests, can I get in the International Gateway for rope drop in Future World?  

Or do I need to walk all the way around to the front gate?

Missing the crowds at the end of the night might not be worth the hassle in the morning. 

Are you planning to be at Epcot for over 12 straight hours? Shoot me!

You really can't walk around from the IG to the Future World part of Epcot. You can walk through the park, but I'm not sure if they'll let you do that before the park officially opens in order to get to Future World for rope drop.  Anybody know for sure?

Also anyone know if there is still any sort of real "rope drop" at Epcot?  Last I'd heard they didn't really do anything special anymore, but I've never been to Epcot that early.

Getting back to your original question, I have experimented with different spots for viewing Illuminations. Here's a purple crayon map marking the favorite spots I've found:

illuminations_zps0d9b1070.jpg

I had always heard about that bridge there on the left, and finally tried it not too long ago. We got there early, so we could be right on the edge with no one in front of us. The fireworks cruise boats were parked right beneath us, so this must be considered a prime viewing area. I liked it, but we couldn't see Spaceship Earth (the big golf ball) from here. They show some projections on the golf ball during the show, and you can't see that from the bridge.

My favorite spot is to the side of the big stage across from the America pavilion. I marked the good spots with arrows.

Another suggestion is the area next to the FP+ viewing area, which I also marked.

Last comment: I understand the desire to beat the crowds at the end, but since this is a first time ever trip for your kids, I wouldn't rush out the back. Relax. Take your time. Epcot is beautiful at night. Sit on a bench for a while and watch the mobs leave. Then take a leisurely stroll out. Admire the lighting. Enjoy the music. What's the rush! This is dumb, but one of my girls' favorite things are the sidewalks near the golf ball that have illuminated designs in them.

TCD