Best viewing spot for Illuminations?

(psst... TCD... wrong photo...)

I agree about not rushing out at night unless you have a good reason. Our park close at Epcot usually involves grabbing a snack or beverage right before Illuminations (most things will be closed after) and then pull up a bench and watch the crowds go by.  Once things have cleared out a bunch, enjoy the walk out with the park nearly empty.  :)

Are you planning to be at Epcot for over 12 straight hours? Shoot me!

See, I absolutely understand that.  I would not ever plan to do something like that.

Except.

This is our first and probably last time to see Epcot as a family.  Okay, a family without my dear husband who plans to stay home this trip.  My oldest will be 19 this trip and I don't know how much longer she will betaking family vacations with us.  My oldest boy is 17 and really itching to join the military.

So I want to create these memories while I have time.

If everyone starts melting down, we will bail.  I don't want our special memories to be of everyone hating me as we do a forced march through the World Showcase.

But, if they are up for it, I want to have a plan in place. :D

You really can't walk around from the IG to the Future World part of Epcot. You can walk through the park, but I'm not sure if they'll let you do that before the park officially opens in order to get to Future World for rope drop.  Anybody know for sure?

Also anyone know if there is still any sort of real "rope drop" at Epcot?  Last I'd heard they didn't really do anything special anymore, but I've never been to Epcot that early.

You are correct, there is no rope drop at Epcot any more.

They do allow guests into the park from the International Gateway at park opening. The last time I did it, we had to walk straight to Future World. I am not sure if that's still the case, because I think the quick serve restaurant in France now serves breakfast.

In any event, if your goal is to get to TT or Soarin' before the crowds, you don't want to come on through IG.

TCD

You really can't walk around from the IG to the Future World part of Epcot. You can walk through the park, but I'm not sure if they'll let you do that before the park officially opens in order to get to Future World for rope drop. Anybody know for sure?

Also anyone know if there is still any sort of real "rope drop" at Epcot? Last I'd heard they didn't really do anything special anymore, but I've never been to Epcot that early.

People staying at the resorts outside enter through the IG in the morning and walk to future world. Also I believe France now has breakfast options starting at 9 am.

No more rope drop at Epcot anymore. Just controlling the people running for Soarin and Test Track.

Okay, found this:

"Rope Drop: Epcot has two entrances. At the main entrance, a brief welcome spiel will play over the speakers beginning at 8:45am. At 8:47am, Disney will begin letting guests into the Park. If 

things aren’t quite ready, the welcome spiel may be delayed by a few minutes. There are no 
ropes inside and guests are free to head to the Future World attraction of their choice. From the 
International Gateway, there is no welcome spiel, but Disney admits guests at the same time as 
the main entrance. It is a slightly longer walk from the International Gateway, but with fewer 
people entering, Gateway visitors should arrive at Soarin’ or Test Track alongside most guests 
entering from the main entrance. At the main entrance, arrive by 8:15am to ensure the shortest 
waits possible throughout the morning. At the International Gateway, arrive by 8:30am. "

Still,not sure which way I will end up going - WDW bus to main entrance or drive to lot behind Hess.  I like the idea of not rushing out, but taking our time to enjoy as we make our way to the bus stop.  However, after 13 hours in the park, it might be nice to just drive back to the campsite.  But again, that means me driving at night.

:blowup:

See, I could easily spend 12 hours at Epcot (I know Lou, you're shocked), and that's without even delving into the whole Food & Wine thing (now Lou is REALLY shocked)

The  kids will have tons to poke around and see in Future World, and aside from food and beverage options, there are LOTS of nooks and crannies to explore in World Showcase for everyone.  And a full day gives you plenty of time to do it at a leisurely pace and do things lots of people skip right by like...

Go sit in the garden behind the UK pavilion and listen to the band

Check out Off Kilter in Canada

Actually see all the movies -in Canada, France and China

If it's Food & Wine, there will be a concert in America pavilion

Check out all the details of the trains in Germany

Do the free walking tour in Morocco

Look for all the little out-of-the way places and little alley ways in World Showcase - there's tons of cool stuff to see

Talk to the cast members from each country

Kidcot stations in all countries (another free activity)

And there are lots of great places to sit and relax for a bit and just take it all in so you don't feel like you're on a mission.

The day will go by quicker than you think!