The Park Snacker (tales of a culinary cheap'o)

This comment will tick off half of you, but here goes.  

As the head of a family of 7, with the other 6 being female, there is no way I will take a chance and just "show up" hoping to get a table in a restaurant.  Hell hath no fury like a bunch of hungry women.  I either have an ADR for a sit down place, we plan on a counter service place, or we are eating at the camper and that meal was planned long ago and all the supplies are on hand.  We don't "wing it".  I value my peace too well.   

We are only 3...two chick and a dude...we don't do hungry...or thirsty.  We get grouchy reallllly quickly...thus, mama always has snacks and drinks on hand.  Will be the first to admit - - - my jekyll side is triggered by hunger...and hyde comes back when fed.  Sad, but true!

And here is a ninja.... :ph34r: ...just cuz.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have found that a 16 oz. Mountain Dew bottle full of Southern Comfort and free ice water makes "Small World" tolerable.  :wine:  :wine:

I agree, but sometimes i get carried away with the planning.  This is just the planning I have done for food for the first two days of our vacation:     Thursday Drive to WDW Breakfast (eaten about 8:

First of all I find it quite humorous that you think your the head of the family. We all know its INC who's in charge. Second. As the head, lol, of a family of 4 there is no way I'm winging it eit

This comment will tick off half of you, but here goes.  

As the head of a family of 7, with the other 6 being female, there is no way I will take a chance and just "show up" hoping to get a table in a restaurant.  Hell hath no fury like a bunch of hungry women.  I either have an ADR for a sit down place, we plan on a counter service place, or we are eating at the camper and that meal was planned long ago and all the supplies are on hand.  We don't "wing it".  I value my peace too well.   

You have to do what works for you - and who makes up your group definitely matters!

We're just 2 and are usually pretty good at winging it, however I also know that DH gets grouchy if I push him too far past meal time. So if it's early enough, and we still have plenty of time/options to go elsewhere, we'll try a walk up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

And here is a ninja.... :ph34r: ...just cuz.

10 points for the use of a random smiley.  :thumbsup3:

I make a bisquick muffin. Some ideas are pizza (pepperoni, onion, green pepper, mozzarella cheese) or ham and cheese. Whatever combo you can think up. Mix bisquick and milk into a biscuit dough. add meat and veggies. cook in muffin pan at 450 for 8 to 10 minutes. I have also froze these ahead of time. My kids used to like them and I have used them for road and airline trips.

These sound yummy! So if you don't freeze them, do you bake these in an RV or before you go?  Two reasons for my question...(1) I am apparently camper baking impared. Everything I cook in the RV gas oven comes out cooked unevenly. I'm believe it is user error...

(2) If you make them ahead, how long do they keep in the fridge?  Last trip out I made some pigs in a blanket and they got so soggy in the fridge - GROSS. :wacko:

I have a cuisinart counter top oven I use in the rv. Would a toaster oven help?

Maybe...had not considered that. Could certainly be useful in re-heating...Pizza muffins sound really good. 

I am hungry now...getting grumpy.  MUST. EAT. OWN. FOOT. :fork: :fork: :fork:

These sound yummy! So if you don't freeze them, do you bake these in an RV or before you go?  Two reasons for my question...(1) I am apparently camper baking impared. Everything I cook in the RV gas oven comes out cooked unevenly. I'm believe it is user error...

(2) If you make them ahead, how long do they keep in the fridge?  Last trip out I made some pigs in a blanket and they got so soggy in the fridge - GROSS. :wacko:

Lots of people use a ceramic tile or pizza stone on the bottom of the RV oven to distribute the heat more evenly. 

• 2 weeks later...

With us just being a party of two, I just go to the Disney website when we're getting ready to eat. If you are on your phone, it actually gives you suggestions, based on your location, and make a reservation right then and there.

Although, I haven't had an opportunity to try that in awhile, so not sure how it works with the credit card guarantee on every reservation now.

I haven't had an opportunity to try that in awhile, so not sure how it works with the credit card guarantee on every reservation now.

Actually that raises a good question. The iPhone app is now allowing you to make ADRs as close as 20 minutes out, but how does that work with the credit card guarantee?

If anyone tries it, please let us know.

My rule for carrying food into the park is that it must fit in the pockets of the boys' cargo shorts. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. My 15 year old always asks what will happen if his pants fall down

at the gate because I put so much stuff in his pockets. This concern did not stop him from once shoving a small can of pringles into his pocket. I carry a parachute weight backpack in my pocket and once

past the search, the bag comes out and the pockets get emptied. This mostly limits us to nuts, fruit

snacks, and granola bars, but that usually gets us through until we return to the campsite for a meal.