I know there used to be a railroad at The Fort, and the next time I'll be there, we are planning on spending less time in the parks and more at FW and resort hopping.

My question is, can you good people point me in the general direction of where to find said RR tracks? I don't need specifics, just a general starting point. I think it would be cool to see that part of FW history. I was fortunate enough to see the Lawn Mower Tree prior to its removal, and would like to see what's left of the FWRR.

Thanks!

Click on the info tab at the top of the page, and it should lead you to a page with different articles. One of them is the 6 lives of the FWRR. It has the history of it and some information on where the tracks were.

It was one of the Forts best attributes , along with Marshmallow Marsh Excursion, the peacocks, and the breakfast supply truck.

In most areas the tracks themselves are gone, although during the winter when the overgrowth dies down there are areas across from 1400 where you can see fun stuff.  But this time of year one of the best places to see the old track bed is behind the 700 loop.  Look for the path back to the pet walk area behind 700 and you will cross the old track bed.  It's pretty obvious when you see it.  

Another place is where it crossed the road near the entrance to 500.  Take a look at the dog park and you'll note a "ridge" crossing the dog park at an angle heading toward the canal.  The track ran through there.  If you take canoes out on those canals you can get a real good look at the old bridge abutments from where the tracks crossed the canal.  

The tracks also ran right past the Meadow trading post.  As it went south of there it crossed over Fort Wilderness Trail toward the entrance of 1100.  You can see it's path there if you look at the position of the sidewalk, IIRC.  

There are lots of other places to see evidence.  If you look at the map of where the train went, then go check out those places you can usually find it.  

The tracks also ran right past the Meadow trading post.  As it went south of there it crossed over Fort Wilderness Trail toward the entrance of 1100.  You can see it's path there if you look at the position of the sidewalk, IIRC.  

Including the hump in the road where the crosswalk is.

Click on the info tab at the top of the page, and it should lead you to a page with different articles. One of them is the 6 lives of the FWRR. It has the history of it and some information on where the tracks were.

It was one of the Forts best attributes , along with Marshmallow Marsh Excursion, the peacocks, and the breakfast supply truck.

One of the articles is pinned in the Info section and fairly easy to find, but there's another one as well.  Both are in the FWRR section here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/history/fwrr/

We were fortunate enough to have David Leaphart contribute to FortFiends.  David has written some books all about the Fort Wilderness Railroad and there are links to his website in the articles as well.

Like DIT said above, your best bet is to look at an old map, and explore the areas where the train passed through.  In some places, sidewalks were poured over the old rail beds.  One of the best examples of this is the sidewalk that leads from the Meadow Trading Post south toward the 1300 loop.  Here's an old map that shows the old train route:

1978_ftwildernessmap.jpg

I have personally walked the entire old train route.

As DIT said, there are some old ties, but no rails in the area behind the 700 loop.

If you can fight through the swamp across from the 1400 loop, there are still rails in place back there.  Here's a couple of photos I took back in 2011:

100_9157.jpg

100_9171.jpg

If you want to go, I would recommend going some time in the winter when some of the plant life has died down.

TCD

TCD wrote:

If you can fight through the swamp across from the 1400 loop, there are still rails in place back there.  Here's a couple of photos I took back in 2011:

If you want to go, I would recommend going some time in the winter when some of the plant life has died down.

Great advice and I would add to that to be careful to keep a lookout for snakes.  Not far from there, I witnessed a Cotton Mouth a few years ago.  We sometimes forget that the Fort is surrounded by much wilderness.

By the way, great pictures TCD.

Great advice and I would add to that to be careful to keep a lookout for snakes.  Not far from there, I witnessed a Cotton Mouth a few years ago.  We sometimes forget that the Fort is surrounded by much wilderness.

By the way, great pictures TCD.

True.

And the bugs are awful back there in warm weather.  I got bit up bad by chiggers back there once. Really bad. 

TCD

Had not thought about chiggers at the fort. DH has a horrible reaction to them. He once had one the size of a quarter. I will pack the chigger repellent for all future visits.

The only time I got chiggers was during a warm weather walk through the swamp.  I've never had any problem anywhere else in or around the Fort.

The size of a quarter?  Gross!

TCD

I've gotten bitten by chiggers walking Brady out on the 300 loop dog walk wearing Crocs with no socks.  IIRC the grass was a bit high and overdue for mowing.

My foot blew up so badly I could barely get my Crocs on, and they usually fit pretty loosely.

I now make sure I either spray my feet or wear socks before I go out there.

I've gotten bitten by chiggers walking Brady out on the 300 loop dog walk wearing Crocs with no socks.  IIRC the grass was a bit high and overdue for mowing.

My foot blew up so badly I could barely get my Crocs on, and they usually fit pretty loosely.

I now make sure I either spray my feet or wear socks before I go out there.

Crocks with Socks?

Go Gata!

TCD

True.

And the bugs are awful back there in warm weather.  I got bit up bad by chiggers back there once. Really bad. 

TCD

DW makes sure we all rub down with vinegar after a day in chigger (aka Redbug in MS) areas.  Seems to work, and the smell fades fast.