From the Disney Parks Blog...

We’re looking for 101 pet dogs to celebrate their Disney Side at one of the most unique events the Disney Parks Blog has ever hosted. A Disney Side Dog’s Day at Magic Kingdom Park will be held on August 30, 2014, (before the park opens) at the Walt Disney World Resort – and we’d love for you and your costumed dog to participate if you are eligible and if a photo of your dog showing his or her Disney Side is selected in our contest.

BIP575342-613x306.jpg

The event officially begins at 7 a.m. EDT on Saturday, August 30, but we’re asking for attendees and their pet dogs to arrive at 5:45 a.m. at Disney’s Contemporary Resort parking area. Inside the park, dogs and owners will walk the “green carpet” (with fire hydrants) on Main Street U.S.A., enjoy a “Doggie Dance Party” and experience a special walk in the park around a portion of Magic Kingdom Park. A light breakfast will also be served.

During the event, a crew from Animal Planet’s “America’s Cutest Pet” will be filming pet dogs for a special Disney Side edition of the TV show that’ll air in October. Attendees will have the option to be filmed for the TV show but participation is not mandatory.

Please read the official rules before you enter the contest, and please pay special attention to the following “Do’s and Don’ts” when preparing your entry.

Do’s

• Showing your dog’s Disney Side means your dog should be costumed in a fun way, a way that also ties into what Disney Parks represents through its Disney characters and attractions.
  • Be sure your dog’s costume and photo of you and your dog comply with the official rules and contest criteria.
  • Be creative with the costume and the photo.
  • Make sure your photo is not larger than 2MB. Color and black and white images are acceptable.
  • Include all paperwork required in the Official Rules.
  • By entering the contest you agree to Disney’s Terms of Use.

Don’ts

• Don’t show any prominent brands or logos other than those on/in your Dog’s costume.
  • Don’t include anyone besides yourself and your dog in the photo.
  • Don’t show anything that might be objectionable, vulgar or obscene. Avoid rude gestures, and other inappropriate stuff and for your and your dog’s safety, don’t try any risky moves.

Now, to enter, send us an email titled “A Disney Side Dog’s Day in the Park” with a photo of your Disney Side-costumed dog, your name, your pet’s medical documents and if you’ll be bringing a guest to [email protected].

Also, there are a few more things you should know:

• All attendees who sign up for the event must be 18 years or older, but guests of the winners do not need to be 18 or older.
  • Limit one guest and one dog per winner in the contest.
  • We will send a confirmation email to the winning contest entrants to confirm their attendance for the event.
  • If confirmed, it will be necessary for the registrant and guest to check in at the front of Disney’s Contemporary Resort for access to the event. The confirmation will include those details.
  • Valid photo I.D. will be required at check-in.
  • Winning confirmations are non-transferrable and have no cash value.
  • Confirmation will be for the winner of the contest submission, winner’s dog and winner’s guest.
  • If you do not receive an email from us confirming our selection of your contest submission, then your contest submission was not selected.
  • The event is subject to change or cancellation.

Please note the event is subject to change or cancellation without notice.

Hope to see you there.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Open to persons who are 18 years of age or older, as of entry, and are legal residents of, and physically located within, Florida and currently own a dog in good health under 70 pounds that has been spayed or neutered with required paperwork. Entries must be received between 11:00 AM (ET) on 8/22/14 and 11:00 AM (ET) on 8/24/14. Limit one (1) entry per person. Prize does not include accommodations or transportation between winner’s home and Magic Kingdom Park Event. For full details including eligibility and entry requirements, judging criteria, prize descriptions & limitations, see Official Rules.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/08/enter-now-for-an-opportunity-to-attend-a-disney-side-dogs-day-at-magic-kingdom-park/

WHAT!?  This was announced August 22 and the 'contest' was August 30!  WTF  I know as spouse of retired WDW person I'm not allowed to enter, but why only 8 days from announcement to contest?  Noticed in rules you had to live in Florida. 

That would have been fun to participate in or watch.

Oh TCD and Rocky have to enter!!!

Oh never mind I bet he can't because of the twins.

I dont think he can with the 70lb weight limit. Not sure if Rocky is under that. 

Yeah, we were disqualified for both of those reasons.  The twins are employees, and Rocky's weight hovers around 75 lbs.

Looking at the rules, they made it pretty hard for folks to enter. They announced this on a Friday, and the submission period ended on a Sunday.  They were requiring documents from a veterinarian confirming that the dog is neutered, in good health, and up to date on shots.  I have a copy of the slip that I got when Rocky got his shots earlier this year, but that form doesn't say anything about his health or that he's neutered.  What would I have to do, ask my vet for a letter?  On a Friday afternoon?  Like he doesn't have anything better to do?  My vet is only open a half day on Saturday and closed on Sunday.  Getting that documentation together would have been a major pain.

And, on top of that, I would have to come up with a costume for Rocky to wear to the park, if he's picked?

And, we wouldn't even know if we were picked until August 28th?

And, all we get for that effort is the right to walk around in the MK for a few hours before it opens on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend?

Nuts.

But, I'm sure they'll get 101 dog nuts to show up.

I would love to see it.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

The Disney Parks Blog posted photos and a video from the event this past weekend:  http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/08/101-dogs-walk-the-green-carpet-at-first-ever-disney-side-dogs-day-at-magic-kingdom-park/

This solves a mystery too. Twin #1 saw John O'Hurley being filmed in the Magic Kingdom one day last week, but didn't know what for.  Now we know.  He filmed his spot before Saturday.

The video on the blog shows the winners.  Such a shame.  Rocky in a Sven costume accompanied by me dressed as Olaf would have given the Dalmatian a run for the money.

TCD

• 1 month later...

The Disney Parks Blog announced that the TV show which was filmed during this event will premier this Saturday, October 18th:

hglhgl735611-613x473.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/10/americas-cutest-pet-howl-o-ween-special-airing-october-18/

Now I really wish we had been able to go!

TCD

If you missed the broadcast of this show, and were thinking about watching the encore performance, take it from me, and don't.

That may have been the worst thing I've ever seen on TV.

It was really bad.  There was very little footage from the day that dogs were allowed in the MK.  The bulk of the show was "humorous" and "cute" videos of various animals dressed in costumes.  And a lot of talking by John O'Hurley, as well as a bunch of random character appearances, but a whole lot of appearances by some guy who was supposed to be a pirate. It was really, really bad.

TCD