Guest Parking at the Settlement

While :worship: Jason is trying to get a reservation for us over the New Years my wife wants to see the New Year Eve's fireworks. I need to come up with a Plan B. Can you park at the settlement without being registered at Fort Wilderness and then take the internal bus to the beach? What do you tell the guard at the entrance?

I'm thinking you are thinking of the Outpost parking lot, not the settlement.

On normal nights this would not be a problem. However, I would come up with a plan C just in case.  They have been known to turn all but registered and confirmed ADR guest away on Holiday nights.  NYE being one of the biggest of the year. 

On normal nights this would not be a problem. However, I would come up with a plan C just in case.  They have been known to turn all but registered and confirmed ADR guest away on Holiday nights.  NYE being one of the biggest of the year. 

Bingo, no one picked up on that fact. The knuckleheads, and you know who you are. that told you to lie are just that, knuckleheads.

That lying method works when they don't care if you want to get in or not. You could tell them that you're there to freeload and they'll let you in.

The restricted access signs will be up at all the MK resorts. You might be able to get in, but it will take some creativity. 

So if you have to be creative anyway, I wouldn't waste it on the Fort's beach. There are closer places to view the fireworks.

Then why not book an ADR at Trails End?  They have to let you in for that.  I don't think TE is one of the restaurants that you need to cancel the day before to avoid a penalty.  There must be some reason this isn't a viable option, or the oh-so-helpful Lou would have mentioned it, right?  

All reservations now require the credit card and have the cancellation penalty.  My last reservation for Trails End had it.

Given the fact it is New Years Eve, I think the best bet would be to park at a resort such as Port Orleans Riverside, take a bus to a destination (such as Studios) and then take a bus to the Grand.  That is the best place in my opinion for New Years.  They have music in the lobby, alternating between the piano and the band, great decorations, drinks available (for a fee of course), and the balloon drop at midnight if you choose to stay inside, or a great view of the fireworks out at the Marina.  My wife and I went last year and had a great lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe, left our car there and went to Animal Kingdom, and then back for New Years.  It was great.  We'll be at the Fort this New Years, but if we aren't in the park, we may go back over there.

Good job Memphis/Harold, on setting things straight.

Bingo, no one picked up on that fact. The knuckleheads, and you know who you are. that told you to lie are just that, knuckleheads.

That lying method works when they don't care if you want to get in or not. You could tell them that you're there to freeload and they'll let you in.

The restricted access signs will be up at all the MK resorts. You might be able to get in, but it will take some creativity. 

So if you have to be creative anyway, I wouldn't waste it on the Fort's beach. There are closer places to view the fireworks.

Great post.

Does anyone remember the photos and comments from the 4th of July about how Fort guests were being directed to park in the field behind the old kennel because the overflow lot was packed full?

When the Fort is fully occupied, the overflow lot is going to be full from just Fort guests and those with dining reservations.

During holidays like Halloween, Christmas, New Year's Eve and July 4th, there isn't room for people who want to park and look around, and there will be a sign posted at the guard shack saying that parking is restricted.

Yes you could, but you'd have to take the boat out of the water, drag it to the Fort and put it back in Bay Lake.

Very good!

All reservations now require the credit card and have the cancellation penalty.  My last reservation for Trails End had it.

Given the fact it is New Years Eve, I think the best bet would be to park at a resort such as Port Orleans Riverside, take a bus to a destination (such as Studios) and then take a bus to the Grand.  That is the best place in my opinion for New Years.  They have music in the lobby, alternating between the piano and the band, great decorations, drinks available (for a fee of course), and the balloon drop at midnight if you choose to stay inside, or a great view of the fireworks out at the Marina.  My wife and I went last year and had a great lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe, left our car there and went to Animal Kingdom, and then back for New Years.  It was great.  We'll be at the Fort this New Years, but if we aren't in the park, we may go back over there.

True.  All reservations-even breakfast ADR's now require a credit card and the terms that you have to agree to in order to make the ADR say that there is a cancellation fee.

I used to always recommend the beach at the Polynesian Resort for fireworks.  But, with all the construction going on there now, I wouldn't recommend it any longer.

TCD

Lou's right, especially for New Years Eve.  However, we spent this past weekend at the Fort (Thursday - Sunday) and was shocked at how packed the Outpost lot was.  They had cars parked on the grass along the roads leading the to lot exit and started parking the RV's in the grass lot near the gates for the busses.  When I use the Fort's amenities I am staying there, and if I am parking there, I am either eating there or shopping.  The freeloading is starting to really get out of hand, so it wouldn't surpise me to see them get evn more strict.  We actually saw people get off the bus in their bathing suits, carrying blankets and pool toys for the kids, and walk to their car and put it all in the trunk before driving away.  Very blatant.  It seems to be catching on too as a free place to swim.  So I can only imagine what it would be like on New Years Eve if they don't enforce it.

I used to always recommend the beach at the Polynesian Resort for fireworks.  But, with all the construction going on there now, I wouldn't recommend it any longer.

TCD

Last Friday, our daughter and son in law stopped by to visit us at the Fort.  We figured we'd try Captain Cooke's for dinner so we headed over, and then walked to the Grand to watch the fireworks.  We also figured that the Poly wouldn't be good for viewing due to construction, but during our walk we saw that the area near the Luau was clear and provided a great view.  But I am sure with the viewing areas more limited, the crowds will be even bigger in the areas that still provide a view.  I would recommend either the Grand Floridian or as an alternate, the Contemporary out near the road (near the Contemporary sign).

Lou's right, especially for New Years Eve.  However, we spent this past weekend at the Fort (Thursday - Sunday) and was shocked at how packed the Outpost lot was.  They had cars parked on the grass along the roads leading the to lot exit and started parking the RV's in the grass lot near the gates for the busses.  When I use the Fort's amenities I am staying there, and if I am parking there, I am either eating there or shopping.  The freeloading is starting to really get out of hand, so it wouldn't surpise me to see them get evn more strict.  We actually saw people get off the bus in their bathing suits, carrying blankets and pool toys for the kids, and walk to their car and put it all in the trunk before driving away.  Very blatant.  It seems to be catching on too as a free place to swim.  So I can only imagine what it would be like on New Years Eve if they don't enforce it.

The holidays are one time that they definitely crack down on parking at the Outpost.  They have to. As you observed- there is no place for guests just coming to visit to park.

New Year's Eve is definitely one of those times.

As for the freeloading at the pool, it's something that we on this board have seen and complained about for years.  The Fort management clearly doesn't care.  They will make a half-hearted effort to pass out wristbands on major holidays, but other than that, the Fort is a free place for locals to come and enjoy a nice pool and all of the amenities that we pay a high price to access as guests.

TCD

Fairly recent change, so just claim a mulligan on that!  

No matter what, Lou will still consider you a knucklehead or schmuckface.

Given the fact it is New Years Eve, I think the best bet would be to park at a resort such as Port Orleans Riverside, take a bus to a destination (such as Studios) and then take a bus to the Grand.  That is the best place in my opinion for New Years. 

No mulligan for Dave, this time. I would still take that approach.

I am aware of the $10 charge on the credit card if you don't cancel, but I would either actually go to TE. Hey, why not? Or pay the $10. It's a small price to pay for the convenience and if it's something you really want to do, which BTW, I wouldn't.

If you can make a rez at TE for that night, it beats having to take several buses from other locations in order to get into the Fort. Not to mention the time wasted and the over crowded buses trying to get out of the parks to the resorts, even if you were able to do it.

It's a little known fact that buses will not take guests to a closed park, so going back to DHS after the fireworks won't work because it closes at midnight. There is a way, but I can't say it on here.

You could go back to Epcot instead as it will be open later, but by the time you get back there, it will be close to closing time and the bus situation will not be a good one.

Taking that all into account, I would attempt to make a rez at TE and pay the ten bucks.

But you're right, Dave is still a knucklehead and schmuckface.