Questions from a pop up camper newbie

So I am bartering my way to a very used 1998 pop up camper.  We checked it out today and it seems in good shape, but I am left with some questions and I thought this would be a good group to ask.

1. He said when you tow a trailer you should not go more than 60, 65 at the very most because of fish tailing.  Is this legitimate?  65 is the speed limit around here but when we drive down to Disney we hit some higher speed limits and I do not like the idea of making the trip longer or at the very least need to take that into consideration.

2. I already have a rental lined up for our trip, but since we are going to own one I was thinking we would just drive ours down.  However, we won't really have an opportunity to try it out before then as camping season is really done around here (imo).  Is it realistic we could figure out hook ups etc. ?

3. How much does towing a camper alter mileage (approx)?

Thanks for any advice or info.

First off, how big is this popup, how big is your tow vehicle, and what size tires/wheels are on the popup.

Popups tend to have notoriously small wheels for their size, and me personally I wouldn't be comfortable towing something over 65 with small wheels.

Also drop in mileage has a lot to do with drag. If the popup isn't taller than your tow vehicle, then the drop in mileage won't be as noticeable.

So much of this depends on the trailer itself, how heavy it is, what kind of shape it is in.  Generally, I like to tow at a speed of about 60 MPH.  I have had mine up to 75 with no problem.  I am towing a small camper, but not a pop-up, so it is going to be a little different.  MPG will drop, you are adding a lot of extra weight to your tow vehicle, that is always going to bring MPG down.  It really depends on the vehicle as to how much that drop will be.

I would try and get it out, at least for a night locally, so that you can see how everything is supposed to work and make sure it does all work.

Also, even though camping season is technically over. Go to a local campground for just one night. Practice popping it up, hooking up to utilities, test the air conditioning, heat (if it has it), then go home for the evening. Then the next morning, drive back out, unhook everything, pop it down, then tow it home.

I keep my speed down to 55. Better gas mileage and safer. I would not make the Fort my maiden voyage. Try it out for a weekend at a nearby KOA first. My trailer drops my gas mileage by about 30%, but I have a 7200lb hardside,so you will probably do better.

Have the bearings checked for sure, and repacked before your trip. check the age of the tires. If they are over 4 years old, replace them.

(Oh, and Cyclonic, our campers have appropriately sized tires, so it is safer to go a little faster, but popup tires, oy.....)

Also, even though camping season is technically over. Go to a local campground for just one night. Practice popping it up, hooking up to utilities, test the air conditioning, heat (if it has it), then go home for the evening. Then the next morning, drive back out, unhook everything, pop it down, then tow it home.

Why go home? I'd stay in it and look for any problems.

Enchanted all of these are good suggestions. Check out popupportal.com for all things pop up.

We bought a 1988 Coleman, it's a very small one. I'm towing it with a 6 cyl Ram. It didn't make a lot of difference in my mileage, but we only live in Tampa so it's only about a 70 mile drive.

Our first trip was to the Fort, but we opened it up 4 or 5 times in the driveway and checked everything out. Now let me add, we are not using the interior stove or sink, no no problems with a water or gas hookup.

If it comes with a manual study it. If not, pop up has a lot of manuals listed and can be printed out.

Biggest thing is getting it level.

It should be mentioned that, if the trailer has ST rated tires like most of them do, the top towing speed is limited to 65 mph.  Before you tow any trailer at top interstate speeds I would challenge you to calculate the time you might save by driving that speed, or higher, against the actual time it will take you driving at 65 Mph or less.  You might be surprised when you find what a  small difference there is and then compare that savings with the extra danger you are putting yourself in to save an hour or so.

I would second the advice about trying the camper out before coming to the Fort.  Personally, I would never take any camper on an extended trip without checking everything out thoroughly.  All of the items listed above should be checked.

The advice above about checking/replacing the tires and repacking the bearings is the best advice I could give.  That was the biggest issue we had with our pop-up.  The advice I was always given pulling a trailer is when it starts to fish tail is to speed up.  Scarey as it sounds, the trailer gets squirrely because the trailer is traveling faster than the tow vechile.  There has been many butt puckering moments when you speed up going downhill when you think this can't be right

.  But it works.

The advice above about checking/replacing the tires and repacking the bearings is the best advice I could give.  That was the biggest issue we had with our pop-up.  The advice I was always given pulling a trailer is when it starts to fish tail is to speed up.  Scarey as it sounds, the trailer gets squirrely because the trailer is traveling faster than the tow vechile.  There has been many butt puckering moments when you speed up going downhill when you think this can't be right

.  But it works.

and when it passes you going downhill you know you've got a problem...

And these are the reasons i hope to never learn how to drive while towing a trailer.  I was scared enough on our last trip having a rack sitting on the trailer hitch.

.  But it works.

This is scary to think about.  Luckily, I've never towed my camper out of Florida, so I have never towed it up or down a hill.

I did have a very scary incident of swaying on my first trip to the Fort.  I have since learned that I had the gear in my camper loaded improperly, and not enough weight on the tongue.  I also learned how to use the brake controller for the camper.

Swaying and fish tailing are not normal, and are signs of the trailer being improperly loaded.  Trailer brakes with an on board brake controller also seem to be a much better answer than speeding up.

TCD

All great advice so far, especially the part about the reduced speed not making a huge difference in time vs how much safer it would be.  As TCD mentioned, the sure cure for sway is to load properly towards the front and have a good brake controller to apply the trailer brakes slightly when it happens (assuming your pop-up has electric brakes...)

Don't be put off by the Fall weather, if you have an onboard furnace and/or a ceramic heater, you would be surprised how warm a pop-up can be. Hunters use them up north in the winter all the time.  Just watch for windy weather, the wind going under the bunk ends does steal a lot of heat. Get an extra layer of bed foam at walmart etc and that will make a big difference too.

Proper loading will make a huge difference.  When that thing starts fishtailing, it's scary! Then you'll slow down to 55 or less.  If you can, try it out first as there are some pretty important things that will need to be checked out before a long haul to Disney.   Hate to get there and find out something you didn't notice when you got it.  We rent to a lot of people that own RVs but don't want to pull it a long distance.  It can be hard on the nerves....lol.  It's supposed to be a vacation!  Have fun!  You'll love it.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!  I wasn't planning on going too fast if it would fishtail I just wanted to know if it was a legitimate concern etc.

I talked to DH last night and told him the general consensus was to take a local trip before considering such a long drive with the pop up.  He apparently never thought we were going to use that this trip and thought I was insane for considering it ;)  

Pop ups are the easiest type of RV to tow.  I like all the suggestions to set up the camper and live in it for a night even if it is in your driveway.  That is the only way if you can learn if the unit has any objectionable smells or mold issues.  The tires must be inspected.  The side walls must be inspected for crack and the date of manufacture should be determined to see how old they are.  Change them if they are older than 6 years.  Walmart sells trailer tilres already mounted.  I don't think smaller pop ups have brakes so don't worry about them.  I would also practice setting it up in the dark.