Saving on gas during the trip down

Any I nuts in my thought process here? Hoping someone can do a sanity check for me.

Like many of us, we try and find the most affordable way to travel down to the Ft (and pay for the trip at the same time). I think this time I am going to try something new. Normally, I try and snag up gift cards at the local Giant Eagle and normally get them when they are .20 back in fuel perks. I hoard up gift cards throughout the year and then pay for my trip with them (and use the fuel perks to save on gas). During that time, I take the fuel perks and use them at random times throughout the year (sometimes only .20 and others up to 2.00 off a gallon of gas). When we head down next year, I was thinking about timing our gift card purchases with fuel stops at locations that offer fuel perks for buying gift cards. Was thinking it may help ease the pain at the pump when filling up the truck.

Anyone tried this before? Am I crazy thinking this may save a few bucks in gas for the trip? Anyone else found creative ways to save on gas on the way down (I am coming from Ohio)? This past summer we spent almost $1100 in gas when it was running in the high $3 a gallon range (32 gallon tank x 4 fill ups x driving down/up). Hoping next year gas prices continue to fall so I don't feel like I am being stabbed in the gut every time I fill up.

[quote name="disneyfam" post="415213" timestamp="141727471morning,

I use the gas perks at Winn Dixie for our trips. It is maximum of twenty gallons but it is something. Not sure if they have those supermarkets in Ohio. Good luck.

Publix also has a coupon out this weekend if you spend 50.00 in store you can purchase a 50.00 gas gift card for 40.00. I got the shell gift card hoping it can be used alomh with our Winn Dixie fuel perks. Even if not its a good deal.

Sorry rtguy007 doubt any of this will help you out i dont believe they have either store in Ohio.

One thing I do to save on gas is to fill up right before leaving SC, since that seems to be the cheapest fuel I see.

Yup!  We seem to have the least expensive gas around.  But, look at the condition of our roads.......

I use points from CC, hotel programs, or sometimes even airlines to "buy" gas cards. We scored almost 1800 worth of credits for our last trip from those programs. Of course that is because I spend half my life on travel for work.

What Carol said…. Managed to score $400 in BP cards from rewards from my corporate credit card I use to book travel….

Also, Christmas is coming… if folks ask you want you want this year, tell them gas gift cards….